sony str-da3000es or denon 3805

K

keneth

Audiophyte
Using Polk LSi 15's front, LSiC Center (all are 4ohm). Using cheap 8ohms in rear (maybe upgrade later) . Which is better for these speakers; sony str-da3000es or denon 3805? Seems like audiophiles always use denon avrs, and rarely talk about sonys. What's up with that?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
wrong forum

wrong forum, but I would say go for denon. Don't know why, I just hate sony for everything but TV's.

sheep

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
most people will say denon, i personally dont mind the sony but ive heard of people having problems with them, and it doesnt surprise me

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think either will be 100% up to the task. I've read here that people on the Polk forums do not recommend running the LSis with the 3805. With just 3 of them though, you should be able to get away with it. You can always add an amp down the road if it seems like they need more power. My speakers are all 4 Ohm too, and my Marantz didn't like driving them, so I added the monoblocks.

Sony doesn't make great receivers, IMO. Even the ES line just doesn't sound that great to me, though I have to say I haven't heard the most recent top-teir models. To be completely honest, when someone says "audiophile", Denon isn't at the top of my list either. The 480x and 580x do sound nice, but that's getting pretty pricey and I'd probably opt for separates at that price point.

I know you mentioned you had a NAD before, I'd recommend looking into a 763 or 773, also Rotel, Arcam, B&K.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Eric Wong at Polk (a Polk engineer) had this to say:

The 3805 is a very capable receiver, and is even capable of driving our LSi series (4 ohm nominal impedance) speakers. Infact, I have its baby brother the 2805 personally driving a full 7 channel LSi setup at home.

Eric
www.polkaudio.com
1-800-377-7655
(410) 358-3600

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've run LSi7s with a variety of average receivers too (Marantz SR5000, 4200), but they still like plenty of power to bring the most out of them and the 7s do draw the least amount of current of the line. It's like the Paradigm Studios - they sound fine with a receiver, but they sound better when fed with a lot of power.

That statement doesn't tell me what size room he has, which speakers he has, what levels he's listening at or what he has them crossed over at.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis