Sony SSCS5 bookshelf speakers for the win (while at $108/pair-11/2016)!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Everyone here knows what a fan I am of the Philharmonic Audio AA speakers.
At the regular price of $220/pr, I'd consider the Sony SSCS5 to be their closest competitor.
Overall, as stereo speakers, the AA easily beats the Sony as the AA provides amazingly deep bass that I believe is sufficient to forego a sub (for standard music). The Sony needs a sub, IMHO.
The bass of the Sonys is not anemic, it is what you would expect from a 5.25" driver. The AA's are just more than you would expect from a 6.5" driver!!!
The Sony has a little coloration (but subtle) while the AA are exceptionally neutral at this price point.
The one advantage of the Sony is it has greater HF extension than the AA's (at least that is my perception from hearing them).
If you totally ignore the AA's substantial bass advantage, I'd consider these fairly equal speakers - very competitive and mainly up to individual preference.
However, that is with both costing roughly the same!
While Best Buy and Amazon are selling the Sonys for only $108 a pair, the Sony's are a tremendous value. That puts them below the normal street cost of the Andrew Jones Pioneer BS-22, and they are definitely much better speakers than the Pioneers!
Amazon Prime has a 30day return and BetsBuy gives you 14 days.
If you need a good sounding budget speaker, these are a deal not to let pass by!!!
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SSCS5-3-Driver-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B00O8YLMVA/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1479834574&sr=1-1&keywords=Sony+Core

Note that the Sony Core Tower is also on sale at $118 apiece. The standard price is $240 apiece. I have never heard them. Usually inexpensive towers have resonance problems with the longer panels on the cabinets, but if Sony put a couple of braces in the right places, that might not be a problem. Just something to look at if you are considering the towers.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Everyone here knows what a fan I am of the Philharmonic Audio AA speakers.
At the regular price of $220/pr, I'd consider the Sony SSCS5 to be their closest competitor.
Overall, as stereo speakers, the AA easily beats the Sony as the AA provides amazingly deep bass that I believe is sufficient to forego a sub (for standard music). The Sony needs a sub, IMHO.
The bass of the Sonys is not anemic, it is what you would expect from a 5.25" driver. The AA's are just more than you would expect from a 6.5" driver!!!
The Sony has a little coloration (but subtle) while the AA are exceptionally neutral at this price point.
The one advantage of the Sony is it has greater HF extension than the AA's (at least that is my perception from hearing them).
If you totally ignore the AA's substantial bass advantage, I'd consider these fairly equal speakers - very competitive and mainly up to individual preference.
However, that is with both costing roughly the same!
While Best Buy and Amazon are selling the Sonys for only $108 a pair, the Sony's are a tremendous value. That puts them below the normal street cost of the Andrew Jones Pioneer BS-22, and they are definitely much better speakers than the Pioneers!
Amazon Prime has a 30day return and BetsBuy gives you 14 days.
If you need a good sounding budget speaker, these are a deal not to let pass by!!!
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SSCS5-3-Driver-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B00O8YLMVA/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1479834574&sr=1-1&keywords=Sony+Core

Note that the Sony Core Tower is also on sale at $118 apiece. The standard price is $240 apiece. I have never heard them. Usually inexpensive towers have resonance problems with the longer panels on the cabinets, but if Sony put a couple of braces in the right places, that might not be a problem. Just something to look at if you are considering the towers.
I agree the Sony Cores at the sale price are going to be very hard to beat. The towers sound very good as well. But, I still prefer the Core Bookshelf. The Core center leaves a bit to be desired. Other than that, I highly recommend them myself.

Cheers,

Phil

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Easy now - I am about to buy a pair again (serious good price) - however, I still have good speakers
going around. However, I am still thinking about toying with them again.

On a side note, it is time to listen to my EOS-150 speakers some more. I have not done it for awhile.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Gee what a tough decision - the Sony or the Lonpoo speakers.

Well the Lonpoo saved on cost - only a high pass filter for the crossover.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017GRTFBE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2IQUEZ49FTZYR
So what was it about the speakers that caught your interest? The Sony speakers are a known quantity for you to some extent so that makes them a little boring compared to something totally new and different. Looking forward to hearing your take on them when you get them!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Probably going to pick up a set of AAs for my kids. Was going to stick a pair in the bedroom, though I have room for my A/V-2s, but they are quite large. I want to try out the AAs in my setup though. Potentially, I could use the AAs as my surrounds and move the A/V-1s, which are quite a bit smaller than the 2s, to my room.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
So what was it about the speakers that caught your interest? The Sony speakers are a known quantity for you to some extent so that makes them a little boring compared to something totally new and different. Looking forward to hearing your take on them when you get them!
Just joking, having some holiday fun - they do look like Micca clones, with just the high pass filter. If I bought them I would change the crossover. I did own the Micca 42X and did not care that much for them and sent them back.

I put the EOS-150 back up , and they are still real good. If I put the Sony against them, then I see where Sony should get the edge with the tweeter, and some off axis response. However based on memory it will be a close call.

All in all, for anyone on a tight budget the Sony is a no brainer - get them.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My kids have the Micca 42x. Think I paid $50 or $60 for them? They're OK for the price, but was really irritated when I ordered the matching center that they never released.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis