Sony ss-u6030 floor speakers adding foam inside cab

Elliot

Elliot

Audiophyte
Hello everyone,

I have a set of sony ssu6030 3 way floor speakers im using on my sony da4es. I run these as the front speakers of my surround sound. These provide the primary bass for my system as i do not run an external sub. What i am noticing is alot of bass is coming through the back side of the cab. At times it seems that the bass is actually louder from the rear than the front. Inside the cabs lays the original fibreglass type sound absorber only behind the subwoofer. There is no foam anywhere else inside the cab. Is there something i can do to the cab to correct this like adding foam or material to the back of the speaker cab porting the front? Is there anything that i can do to improve the acoustics with out loosing to much mid or high range.

Thank you.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
You would probably need to use some kind of bonding compound like woodglue, silicon, or something to seal up the seams of the speaker. You would need to remove the woofer to do this. Take care not to damage the gaskets and screw holes as air can leak from there as well. Just putting foam in the bottom alone won't fix the leaks, but it could improve the sound a little if properly applied. Those speakers don't have any cross supports inside the cabinet which makes for a very resonate cabinet (like an acoustic guitar).

Elliot

Elliot

Audiophyte
Do you mean sealing the speaker cab itself? I dont see any places where it has gaps in the construction of the cab it seems sealed up pretty tight.

Elliot

Elliot

Audiophyte
Do you mean sealing the speaker cab itself? I dont see any places where it has gaps in the construction of the cab it seems sealed up pretty tight.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord

I assume you want when "bass" was emanating from the rear of the speaker that you mean it was leaking air. I was mistaken. You meant the cabinet itself is reverberating and producing bass?

Other than bracing the cabinet there's not much that can be done there.

How much of a problem do you perceive this to be?

Elliot

Elliot

Audiophyte
A slight problem. Its just a waste of good bass that should be redirected to the listeners rather than behind it.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
A slight problem. Its just a waste of good bass that should be redirected to the listeners rather than behind it.

By loading the cabinet down with insulation you may be able to minimize that resonance a little bit, but you'll sacrifice cabinet volume which in turn with reduce bass output and extension.

There really isn't much to be done for these speakers.

Elliot

Elliot

Audiophyte
Ok thank you for the reply. Its not that big of a deal for me overall how they ate set up they sound great for what i need.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Ok thank you for the reply. Its not that big of a deal for me overall how they ate set up they sound great for what i need.

As long as you enjoy them that is all that matters. :)

If you ever get bored and have a little extra cash it may not hurt to go to a hi-fi store and have a listen to some speakers. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis