Sony SA-RS5 - Very disappointed

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It works as intended.

I think I am doing pretty well for someone with English as a third language.
I'm not singling you out but I have to concur. We keep saying that audio needs some growth however when new hobbyists come for help they can get some really rude blunt rough responses. The OP was not being rude or argumentative. How does it help to be so blunt with our replies?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
While I appreciate all the suggestions for an entirely different system, that isn’t going to happen. I bought each component (soundbar/sub/rears) at different outlets (due to availability), and I suspect that the only part that I would be permitted to return would be these RS5 speakers due to the short passage of time since purchase (Amazon). But I wouldn’t feel right about it, as I still feel that there is a good possibility that there is some setting/setup issue that might be at the root of it all. I also am not able to run wires to any rear speakers in our new place, so they do need to be wireless. If it turns out that their present performance is all they will do, then I will just live with it, having them do “just ok” with the latest content and the latest audio tech.

This also reminds me of a related thing which dovetails into all of this, and that is my experience with the purchase about two months ago of the Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones. I have never even tried or used any of the recent headphone offerings, but decided on getting a pair for those action/shoot-‘em-up movies that I like, which my wife doesn’t. Again, we just moved into a condo/townhouse development a few months ago, and now have neighbors who we need to be considerate of for noise, so the headphones would obviously allow me to enjoy those movies at a higher volume.

Well, I was absolutely gob-smacked by the quality of the audio with the headphones. Not only was the bass surprisingly good, but the utter clarity and separation of the audio was astounding, especially with what had become one of my pet peeves over the years with most all modern films – the speech/vocal component! It seems that we were often rewinding certain clips of a movie because we couldn’t hear what the hell they were saying. They are often either whispering or mumbling, or the background music is far far too loud and dominating. The headphones somehow provide a level of audio clarity that I find mind-blowing, and if I am going to be watching a movie by myself, then the headphones are always used now. The difference is simply night & day.

It’s still a requirement to have a good “non-headphone” sound system though, for all those times when there are two or more viewers.
Just thought to followup were you able to get your system to work. Did you manage to find the setup issue?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not singling you out but I have to concur. We keep saying that audio needs some growth however when new hobbyists come for help they can get some really rude blunt rough responses. The OP was not being rude or argumentative. How does it help to be so blunt with our replies?
Agreed Dan, the 'ole Doc's bedside manners are sometimes lacking !

Earfull

Earfull

Junior Audioholic
Danzilla31:

^^^No, it's the same. I'm awaiting a reply via PM from akashkw who chimed-in on the previous page a few days ago.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Did you get up this morning and decide to be as abrasive, rude and unhelpful as possible? Good job!
He’s actually helpful.

So’s the other guy. Out of my main three guys on this forum, you got two of them going.

Respect. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow, your reply is just as rude.

So you condone rude behavour based on someones supposed KNOWLEDGE of audio?

He did not complain, he asked why he is getting (almost) NO sound from his surrounds., even when there should be sound.

Learn to read.
I don't take misguided criticism lightly, but I figured you deserve a comprehensive reply, not just my previous knee-jerk reaction.

You're new here, and while my post may have been a bit rough, it shouldn't surprise you as helping out random people on the internet without any return for my time and knowledge, often not even a simple thanks, could get tiresome. Especially these folks who already made a questionable purchase based on a whim, which is not possible to return.

You're WAY off base calling TLS Guy "supposed" knowledge of audio. This misunderstanding could be rapidly remediated if you could be bothered to read at least a dozen of his posts in the DIY section. I didn't condone his attitude but tried to provide context, which you missed again.

Highfive did give a reasonable suggestion - (individual speaker levels (not system volume) should not only be controlled on the surround speakers but at the sound processor (which in this case is the soundbar), which flew over OP's head like a missile.

Bonus:
Let me try to point you back to the first OP's post:
"I am pissed."
"I am shocked at how quiet and anemic the rear speakers are."
"they barely emit any sound whatsoever, and it doesn't really sound any better than before"

If these aren't complaints, then SURE he "didn't" complain. /SARCASM

And lastly, I think it is you should troll less and learn to read better.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I don't take misguided criticism lightly, but I figured you deserve a comprehensive reply, not just my previous knee-jerk reaction.

You're new here, and while my post may have been a bit rough, it shouldn't surprise you as helping out random people on the internet without any return for my time and knowledge, often not even a simple thanks, could get tiresome. Especially these folks who already made a questionable purchase based on a whim, which is not possible to return.

You're WAY off base calling TLS Guy "supposed" knowledge of audio. This misunderstanding could be rapidly remediated if you could be bothered to read at least a dozen of his posts in the DIY section. I didn't condone his attitude but tried to provide context, which you missed again.

Highfive did give a reasonable suggestion - (individual speaker levels (not system volume) should not only be controlled on the surround speakers but at the sound processor (which in this case is the soundbar), which flew over OP's head like a missile.

Bonus:
Let me try to point you back to the first OP's post:
"I am pissed."
"I am shocked at how quiet and anemic the rear speakers are."
"they barely emit any sound whatsoever, and it doesn't really sound any better than before"

If these aren't complaints, then SURE he "didn't" complain. /SARCASM

And lastly, I think it is you should troll less and learn to read better.
Again not putting this on you yes OP complained but its why he came to us I mean who doesn't get upset when something they bought isn't working right? But he wasn't arguing or directing those complaints at us.

Now in yours and others defense we do get quiet a few that come on here and are defensive or get pissed when you try to help and for them absolutely put them in check. None of us are doormats

But OP wasn't coming at anyone like that he wasn't bringing that type of energy. Sp why start off our first replies with that type of energy

People will care about what I know when they know that I care. With that being said I'm not saying we're going to ride off into the sunset together or something touchy feely. But a little bit of respect usually goes a long way.

We want this forum to grow we all should look at how we're helping new members. Now if they don't want to hear it or want to take your head off because they're audio cables give them smooth chocolately midrange and we don't know what we're talking about

Then by all means hit them with both barrels ;)

But Op honestly didn't really deserve the way he was initially spoken too. That's all I think some of us are trying to say.

So ummm anywat hey how about them Cowboys!!!!! :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
So you condone rude behavour ... ?
Rude is an ugly word.

How about thinking of it as truth in the service of not wasting time getting there?

But to answer the question, I kinda look forward to it.

Look at it this way: it's funnier when it's happening to somebody else.

EDIT: Put the smilies where you need them to make that funny.

1661945474517.png

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis