Sony receiver with Protector (Fan) message

S

stanyam

Audiophyte
I've got a SONY STR-DA30ES receiver that has served me well. I am getting a Protector (Fan) message and the receiver does not work. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem or do I have to take it in for repairs?

Thanks for any assistance.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
You might be trying to push it too hard, or you might have a short somewhere. Disconnect everything from the reciever except its power cord and turn it on. If it still goes into protect mode, then try to find a reset switch (not sure if this is on the Sony, some recievers have them). If it's NOT in protect mode, then you had a speaker wire sorting out on the back. Make sure that you don't have any stray wires when you connect the cables on the back of your receiver. It only takes one strand of copper to short out the amp section.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What jaxvon said. If it does turn out to be an issue after you check that, when did you buy it? My buddy's 50ES died recently also and it was still covered under the 7yr warranty that the ES receivers have, so there's a chance you are still covered too, depending on when you bought it. :)

S

stanyam

Audiophyte
Found a blown fuse

I disconnected all connections and the error message remains.

I removed the top cover to inspect for any obvious problems. I checked the fuses and one of the three is blown! I will get a replacement and see if this soves the problem.

Thanks for your assistance and I will report back.

PS: I bought the receiver in June 1999. So maybe it is still covered, just in case.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
hope that'll fix it for ya, always a shame when a piece of equipment goes bad on ya, best of luck

S

stanyam

Audiophyte
Update: replaced the blown fuse and powered up the receiver, sans connections. Everything lit up like it should (volume LED is on), looked good. However, after a minute or two, the "PROTECTOR (FAN)" message appeared again (v. The fuse was still OK though.

Pulled the power cord from the outlet and repeated power up. Every attempt resulted in the "PROTECTOR (FAN)" message appearing (volume LED never comes on). So the problem remains.

Funny thing with the message - I cannot see a fan in the receiver. I wonder what FAN means??

Looks like it will be up to the SONY boys to fix this one. :(

B

BrokenBack

Audiophyte
Protector (fan)

Same problem two weeks ago with mine. I tried all the fixes, from disconnecting everything and waiting several hours, to checking the inside. Still get the error. Finally sent it back to Sony (in Laredo, TX) for service. I will report back after Sony advises of the solution.

P

pakurtin

Audiophyte
Same problem

Did any of you get to the bottom of your "protection-fan" message problem? This same message just started coming up intermittently on my DA30, with no audio. I verified there are no speaker wire shorts.

I realize original thread is old, but would appreciate any help. Pete

P

pakurtin

Audiophyte
If anyone can sell me a digital c board out of a DA30es or 50es, sony part no. A4414291A, I would so appreciate it.

The Sony authorized repair shop that looked into my own "Protection-Fan" issue on my DA30 said the aforementioned board was bad and replacement is no longer available.

I think it sucks that after a relatively short time, parts are no longer available. Paying $800 for something that is designed to last less than ten years is a sin. I'll never buy Sony again...

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
If anyone can sell me a digital c board out of a DA30es or 50es, sony part no. A4414291A, I would so appreciate it.

The Sony authorized repair shop that looked into my own "Protection-Fan" issue on my DA30 said the aforementioned board was bad and replacement is no longer available.

I think it sucks that after a relatively short time, parts are no longer available. Paying $800 for something that is designed to last less than ten years is a sin. I'll never buy Sony again...
IMHO you should not throw good money after bad. These units have higher than average failure rate and replacing parts, only to see them fail agian seems fruitless.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Check over at www.agoraquest.com where all the Sony-freaks hang out. I agree with bandphan that I wouldn't bother fixing these and rnatalli that it may be a blessing in disguise. Even something that is a few years old will have TONS of features that those guys don't and if you go with a superior brand, will also be a bit more reliable over time.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I think it sucks that after a relatively short time, parts are no longer available. Paying $800 for something that is designed to last less than ten years is a sin.

[[ I'll never buy Sony again...]]
[You just said it.] :)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
In case anyone was wondering why after the OP replaced the fuse that it died again shortly after but the fuse was ok.

Fuses are in place to protect from instantaneous overload or an electrical fire. If your receiver's fuse blows during normal operation assume that a part other than the fuse has gone bad, replacing the fuse will increase problems. If the receiver blows a fuse because you just had it up too darn loud and a transient sent it over the edge then it might be worth while to replace the fuse and try again without being crazy with the volume knob.

In most cases when a fuse blows it's the former, a part has simply gone bad. That bad part can create more problems for the receiver or worse start an electric fire if the circuit remains closed. By replacing the fuse you close the circuit again.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I'll simply say that it's Sony has just simply gone bad, good fuse or not. :D

D

danglerb

Audioholic Intern
In case anyone was wondering why after the OP replaced the fuse that it died again shortly after but the fuse was ok.

Fuses are in place to protect from instantaneous overload or an electrical fire. If your receiver's fuse blows during normal operation assume that a part other than the fuse has gone bad, replacing the fuse will increase problems. If the receiver blows a fuse because you just had it up too darn loud and a transient sent it over the edge then it might be worth while to replace the fuse and try again without being crazy with the volume knob.

In most cases when a fuse blows it's the former, a part has simply gone bad. That bad part can create more problems for the receiver or worse start an electric fire if the circuit remains closed. By replacing the fuse you close the circuit again.
Digital amps don't have a change in operating voltage or thermal load like an analog amp does, they in most cases have the same voltage input to the digital drive stage at all output levels (Sony actually does vary this voltage I think as part of the volume level), but no possible normal output should cause any problems. A short or using speakers with too low of impedance will cause problems, but not the volume setting unless it fries a speaker which shorts out in death.

From the poster looking for a digital C board, that suggests that it is not a problem in the output stage but perhaps in some sort of intermediate or monitoring stage. What would be good is to have someone knowledgeable look over one of the failed boards.

As for replacing fuses, some risk does exist, but as long as the exactly correct value fuse is replaced I don't see a great risk in replacing it once or even a few times during testing. Each time it is replaced with the fault still present and blowing the fuse does increase risk of damage to other parts, so don't replace it after the first time unless you have actually fixed something.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis