Sony Projector VPL -VW295ES - Any feedback?

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
I am considering to buy Sony Projector VPL -VW295ES as I may get a deal from showroom as 4K projector for dedicated media room to watch movies. Any feed back before I jump on it.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I like Sony, but degrading LCoS chips from them are a concern from me. But, I have seen the 285ES and it completely blew me away as well, their cheaper HW45 and HW40ES models are stunnning.

There are good reviews out there worth reading, and I would go through them.

I would also think that the screen and room it is going into is of major concern. Remember, movie theaters have no lights, dark colors, and top-tier content. That matters far more than the projector in use.

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
I will get Sony Projector VPL -VW295ES for 3500 as my firend is moving and has hardly used it for a month.

My room is a dedicated media room 15" x 19" and 10' ceiling. No windows. I will color walls black or dark grey.

I will need help with screen too.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The price is solid. Be aware, that looking at AVS, someone is selling a 295ES for under $3,000. So, it's not a steal at $3,500.

There will generally be a bit more love for JVC you will find, but as I said, Sony has a very good looking image that holds up very well against JVC. Nobody else in the game, IMO, touches LCoS unless you maybe get into a great 3-chip DLP model. But, that's $50,000+ you know. I might haggle a bit more on the price, but that's a definite top-tier direction.

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
The price is solid. Be aware, that looking at AVS, someone is selling a 295ES for under $3,000. So, it's not a steal at $3,500.

There will generally be a bit more love for JVC you will find, but as I said, Sony has a very good looking image that holds up very well against JVC. Nobody else in the game, IMO, touches LCoS unless you maybe get into a great 3-chip DLP model. But, that's $50,000+ you know. I might haggle a bit more on the price, but that's a definite top-tier direction.
Thanks. I will see if he can give it to me for 3000.

M

mjg100

Audioholic Intern

The 295 is a decent projector, but lags way behind the JVC RS1000/NX5. Only advantage the 295 has is price. The RS1000/NX5 is:

About 300 lumens brighter.
Nearly double the native contrast.
Sharper due to its all glass lens. (largest element in 295 is plastic)
Has a dynamic iris.
Has lens memory, so can use a scope screen.
Has dynamic tone mapping for HDR.

It is no contest between these two.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I got my 285ES from a friend over a year ago for $2k used, and got the mount included, it's been amazing so far, I just wish it was the 295 since I am noticing some banding issues with the new xbox series x on some 4k 60fps HDR content. I would definitely try to haggle on the 295 price, 3,500 is a bit much for a used one.

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
The 295 is a decent projector, but lags way behind the JVC RS1000/NX5. Only advantage the 295 has is price. The RS1000/NX5 is:

About 300 lumens brighter.
Nearly double the native contrast.
Sharper due to its all glass lens. (largest element in 295 is plastic)
Has a dynamic iris.
Has lens memory, so can use a scope screen.
Has dynamic tone mapping for HDR.

It is no contest between these two.
JNC is 6000 and I am get tingsony 295ES for 3000, hardly used, from my friend,, is Sony still worth it?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis