Sony PlayStation 3 Releases v1.80 Firmware Updates

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
A free v1.80 download upgrade for the Sony PlayStation® 3 enhances the image quality of movies and old video games and allows people to check out stored video, music files and digital photos through the Internet with the handheld PlayStation Portable. You can now upscale the video content of PlayStation format software, PlayStation2 format software, and DVDs to HD resolution. (Game Settings) has been added as an option under (Settings). You can also adjust settings for upscaled output of PlayStation format software and PlayStation2 format software.

Discuss "Sony PlayStation 3 Releases v1.80 Firmware Updates" here. Read the article.

H

Herr D

Junior Audioholic
I though that the internal scalers of the HD screen would already upscale all sources to its native resolution...Is the upscale function of the PS3 better than the typical internal scalers?

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
I think the point is that some screens' scalers aren't that good and that the player scaling to the screens native resolution can often result in a better image.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think that would be more often than not, that you are better off with a decent scaling player vs the display's, but then it ovbiously depends on the display. For DVDs, the PS3 seems to do a decent job of scaling to me; I've watched a number of movies with it so far.

M

MrPirate2882

Junior Audioholic
upscale ps/ps2? bah

Ok, the PS3 is more than powerful enough to actually render PS and PS2 games in HD instead of just upscaling. That's just bullcrap laziness on sony's part. If emulators of various game systems that have existed before can be set to non-native resolutions, the same can be done by the company that actually makes the system. This includes rendering in widescreen as well. down with upscaling!

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It handles BD and DVD titles differently (PS2 games are DVD), that is most likely the reason why the dispairity - that is why there are two separate configurations for each. DVD upscaling was a more requested option vs upscaling PS3 games (for whatever reason), so that was what they did first.

H

Herr D

Junior Audioholic
Ok thanks for the info. I'm quite interested in this upscaling function of the PS3.

I'm planning on buying one of the new Pioneers in a couple of months and I was just wondering has anyone compared the pq of the current Pio's when playing SD DVD's if you let the Pio handle the upscaling and if you let the PS3 handle the upscaling?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis