K

kmcorolla15

Audioholic Intern
So I have a small Atmos setup in my home office. I bought a Sony STR-DH790 this spring, but was recently given a Denon AVR-X3400H. Would it be better to keep the Sony or switch to the Denon? Thanks for helping this newbie!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I expect you could hook up the Denon and you wouldn't hear almost any difference between the two receivers. Most here, myself included, would choose the Denon over the Sony, but really, not so much as to think you'll have much of a real world difference overall. Speakers make far more of an impact on your listening as is the room your speakers are in.

K

kmcorolla15

Audioholic Intern
I expect you could hook up the Denon and you wouldn't hear almost any difference between the two receivers. Most here, myself included, would choose the Denon over the Sony, but really, not so much as to think you'll have much of a real world difference overall. Speakers make far more of an impact on your listening as is the room your speakers are in.
Good point. I have a small 5.1 Klipsch system but will eventually be upgrading.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you believe in Auto Room Correction (some people are willing to pay thousands), then IMO definitely use the Denon’s Audyssey.

Otherwise, as others have said, it comes down to features.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Not to mention I'm still within the return period for the Sony....might as well save $400, right?
I'm at a loss to understand how you "bought a Sony STR-DH790 this spring" and you can still return it in August?

Please explain.

K

kmcorolla15

Audioholic Intern
I'm at a loss to understand how you "bought a Sony STR-DH790 this spring" and you can still return it in August?

Please explain.
My timing was off - I purchased it in June under a lease-to-own program through Acima. I'm under 90 days so I can return it without any penalties.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
My timing was off - I purchased it in June under a lease-to-own program through Acima. I'm under 90 days so I can return it without any penalties.
Woah that’s a Crazy long return policy ?Acima ? I never heard of that store . Go for it !!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can't imagine buying any audio gear on time or RTO. Can you be more specific about terms/penalties for a return like this?

K

kmcorolla15

Audioholic Intern
Woah that’s a Crazy long return policy ?Acima ? I never heard of that store . Go for it !!
It's a lease-to-own company, not a store. They work with all kinds of stores. I picked the receiver up at Best Buy but used Acima to pay for it over time.

K

kmcorolla15

Audioholic Intern
I can't imagine buying any audio gear on time or RTO. Can you be more specific about terms/penalties for a return like this?
I have a year to pay it off. First 90 days are same as if I had paid cash, but they get you if you don't pay it off before then. There's no penalties for returning it at any time, but obviously you lose on any payments that you have made. If I kept it and paid on it for a full year instead of 90 days, I'd be paying close to $900 for a $400 receiver. That's how they make their money. I'm still within 90 days so I could either finish paying the cash price or just return it, which is what I plan on doing.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Regardless, for a 7.1 system, the X3400H is perfect for a small to even small medium room sitting not more than 3 meters from the TV. It has the AK4458 DAC IC and the rest of the parts and circuitry are consistent with models that up the ladder that cost several times more. I tested it and compared it with my separate preamp/power amps, using external dacs with the analog input, no audible difference. It is a great little AVR. Sony AVRs are good too but the 790 seems a little weak on features, for example, no 7.1 pre outs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis