Sony HT has frequent audio drop outs // has anyone similar problem listening music ?

A

av-tom

Enthusiast
Do you have an Sony Android-TV connected with an AV-receiver and are willing to spent some minutes to help me figure out about my strange problem - then pls. continue to read further...

Since we have a new AV-source (Apple TV) connected via HDMI to our Sony AV-receiver, we are experiencing audio drop outs every 5-7min for about 10-20 seconds when listening music only, while TV is in standby. The audio drop outs occur only when the Sony Android-TV is in standby. The issue does not depend on the HDMI source. Same thing happens when we play music CD via Sony BlueRay player.
Of course this is debatable but we prefer to not have Android-TV switched on while listening music only. So our Android TV is in standby mode if not needed. The audio drop outs (silence) occurs in sync with the frequent wake-up of the Android TV (measured with smart plug). There are numerous threads in forums about the Sony frequent wake-up issue. We are not pleased with the resulting increased standby power but this is another issue.

Our Sony HT equipment has Bravia/CEC enabled
Sony 55x8505C Android-TV
Sony STR-DA3600ES AV-Receiver
Sony BDP-S570 BlueRay player
Audio source (e.g. Apple TV, Sony BlueRay) connected to Sony AV-receiver via HDMI and playing music.
Sony Android TV is connected to receiver via HDMI (ARC) and switched off (standby).

It would be super nice to hear if this is a specific model problem (TV receiver dependency) of our components above or if this occurs in other setup as well? You need to make sure that Android-TV is in standby. Connecting a device which has an LED such as memory stick shows on/off switching.

I was planning to upgrade my HT and try out Atmos. To select right upgrade path I would like to make sure the observed audio issue gets resolved.

Question for me is how to work around
- hard switching off Sony Android TV (LED) solves issue
- exchnage Sony TV but need to know if e.g. newer Sony have similar issue.

Thanx for your help to figure out.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Since we have a new AV-source (Apple TV) connected via HDMI to our Sony AV-receiver, we are experiencing audio drop outs every 5-7min for about 10-20 seconds when listening music only, while TV is in standby. The audio drop outs occur only when the Sony Android-TV is in standby. The issue does not depend on the HDMI source. Same thing happens when we play music CD via Sony BlueRay player.
Of course this is debatable but we prefer to not have Android-TV switched on while listening music only. So our Android TV is in standby mode if not needed. The audio drop outs (silence) occurs in sync with the frequent wake-up of the Android TV (measured with smart plug). There are numerous threads in forums about the Sony frequent wake-up issue. We are not pleased with the resulting increased standby power but this is another issue.

Our Sony HT equipment has Bravia/CEC enabled
Sony 55x8505C Android-TV
Sony STR-DA3600ES AV-Receiver
Sony BDP-S570 BlueRay player
Audio source (e.g. Apple TV, Sony BlueRay) connected to Sony AV-receiver via HDMI and playing music.
Sony Android TV is connected to receiver via HDMI (ARC) and switched off (standby).

It would be super nice to hear if this is a specific model problem (TV receiver dependency) of our components above or if this occurs in other setup as well? You need to make sure that Android-TV is in standby. Connecting a device which has an LED such as memory stick shows on/off switching.

I was planning to upgrade my HT and try out Atmos. To select right upgrade path I would like to make sure the observed audio issue gets resolved.

Question for me is how to work around
- hard switching off Sony Android TV (LED) solves issue
- exchnage Sony TV but need to know if e.g. newer Sony have similar issue.

Thanx for your help to figure out.
What is happening is the TV waking up, is switching the HDMI connection to the receiver for a period of time when it wakes up. CEC is at the bottom of this.

There are all sorts of issues from eARC/ARC and CEC. Can you disable CEC? That will probably solve it. These sorts of issues are not brand specific, but this is related to your TV waking up. What is setting off these wake ups? Have you any idea?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
As @TLS Guy mentioned, HDMI-CEC can be a nightmare but may be necessary depending on the combination of components. This may be one of them as the video capabilities of this bunch of devices is varied. How are all of the devices connected to each other exactly?

A

av-tom

Enthusiast
What is happening is the TV waking up, is switching the HDMI connection to the receiver for a period of time when it wakes up. CEC is at the bottom of this.
In Android TVs various timers set by apps are waking up the TV. This is very well documented in various forums. The issue is that so far only Sony Android-TV cannot be configured to avoid these wakeups.

There are all sorts of issues from eARC/ARC and CEC. Can you disable CEC? That will probably solve it. These sorts of issues are not brand specific, but this is related to your TV waking up. What is setting off these wake ups? Have you any idea?
Yes, agree, hat disabling CEC would solve the issue. But within a clean Sony setup this should not happen. I cannot exclude if the TV has an issue this is why I am asking for tests with other Sony Android TV ...

A

av-tom

Enthusiast
How are all of the devices connected to each other exactly?
as mentioned above:

does anyone have an Sony Android-TV with connected AV-receiver to repeat the test ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That sounds annoying, especially it affecting playback of an optical disc.....have no new ideas for you, just tuning in....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

as mentioned above:

does anyone have an Sony Android-TV with connected AV-receiver to repeat the test ?
I can tell you that the issue is with the TV. The issue is the wake up. As soon as the TV wakes up, then CEC will switch the receiver input to TV audio. That is what CEC does. So either you switch off CEC, or totally switch off the TV and not leave it on standby. The only other alternative is to get a TV that does not wake up so much.

The trouble is that if you don't use CEC or equivalent then you can't use eARC as a rule. I have an annoying problem with my Panasonic BD player. I can not turn it on without the TV turning on. If I turn off the TV the BD player turns off. Fortunately I have four other choices to play audio discs.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
But within a clean Sony setup this should not happen.
Sony didn't magically solve CEC issues....nobody has.
Disabling CEC might not even work...some devices still mess with CEC after being disabled.
Try one of these on different devices and see if it helps.

A

av-tom

Enthusiast
Sony didn't magically solve CEC issues....nobody has.
not sure if I understand...
as mentioned it might be a defect to find root cause or a systemic issue.
for my upgrading path I want to investigate further and idea was born to ask others if they could run test with Sony Android-TV.
Try one of these on different devices and see if it helps.
thanx for advice. I have HDMI cable without PIN 13, which I undersand should be same functionality as proposed adapter. I use these cables in case I intend to supress CEC commands such when connecting Raspberry Pi early models. Just did the test and drop outs happen same way as with fully populated HDMI cable. good to have this ruled out.
The issue still occurs and is to my knowledge plausible. When HDMI devices wake up then they communicate and this is interrupting audio until sync is settled. Since wake-up happens every 5-7min it does not matter if CEC is connected or not.

I have spent hours on how to avoid wake up of Sony Android-TV without success; nobody has. but is not clear if other devices experience same audio drop outs. Therefore my intent is to find other users with an Sony Android-TV and connected AV-receiver to nail down root cause further...

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
as mentioned above:

Is this an Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD?

A

av-tom

Enthusiast
it is brand new Apple TV 4K, but issue happens with any audio source connected to the AV-reveiver such as Sony BlueRay player sending musing from CD.

So any audio source connected to AV-receiver via HDMI is eligeable for this short test...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Not using pin 13 is not a sure fire way of eliminating CEC. It may or may not work depending on circumstances.

Obviously the TV has to be communicating with the receiver whether you use pin 13 or not, or you would not have the problem. This issue is not communicating through thin air. Your simplest solution is to unplug the TV when you play music or use a remote switch to turn the TV on and off.

A

av-tom

Enthusiast
for those who want to support me finding root cause of this issue - here is recommended sequence of testing

setup
- Sony Android TV connected to AV-receiver (ARC) via HDMI - eco mode enabled - otherwise TV will remain at 22watt and not go to standby
- audio source connected to AV-receiver via HDMI

1. play audio via HDMI e.g. from BlueRay / use nice relaxing music ;-)
2. turn-off Sony Android-TV with remote
3. verify that Sony Android-TV is in standby - connect something with LED to USB. you may use a Kill A Watt to verify. standby is approx. 0.7watt.
Picture shows the wakeup peaks...where audio drop outs occur.
Sony-Android-TV-power-consumption.png

4. listen to music if audio drop outs occur...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

sequence of testing

setup
- Sony Android TV connected to AV-receiver (ARC) via HDMI - eco mode enabled - otherwise TV will remain at 22watt and not go to standby
- audio source connected to AV-receiver via HDMI

1. play audio via HDMI e.g. from BlueRay / use nice relaxing music ;-)
2. turn-off Sony Android-TV with remote
3. verify that Sony Android-TV is in standby - connect something with LED to USB. you may use a Kill A Watt to verify. standby is approx. 0.7watt.
Picture shows the wakeup peaks...where audio drop outs occur.
View attachment 64202
4. listen to music if audio drop outs occur...
Then cut the power to the damn TV.

A

av-tom

Enthusiast
Then cut the power to the damn TV.
is same as unplugging the HDMI cable and was mentioned in initial post...

That sounds annoying, especially it affecting playback of an optical disc.....have no new ideas for you, just tuning in....
thanx - this is how we feel indeed...

hope someone has Sony Android-TV and is willing to do some testing to find root cause ...

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General

hope someone has Sony Android-TV and is willing to do some testing to find root cause ...
You might want to go to a Sony forum....the chances of someone having an all Sony system here are pretty slim.

A

av-tom

Enthusiast
You might want to go to a Sony forum....the chances of someone having an all Sony system here are pretty slim.
good point but only Sony Android TV is needed to do the test as this is the suspective wake-up related issue.
I will consider your advise after some days here ... and may take reactions above into a better question/request. My expectation was that Sony Android-TV have wider market share- but let´s see...

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
good point but only Sony Android TV is needed to do the test as this is the suspective wake-up related issue.
I will consider your advise after some days here ... and may take reactions above into a better question/request. My expectation was that Sony Android-TV have wider market share- but let´s see...
Did you try keeping the Sony tv offline ?
It sounds like it's the onboard apps doing the waking up of the set....you dont need them if you have the Apple TV.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You already know the cause. Stop flogging a dead horse. When your stupid Sony TV wakes up it switches the HDMI inputs of the receiver. There is nothing else you can do about it. That is the way it is. So you have to switch off the TV. I would not pull cables in and out as they will damage the connectors. Get a remote switch for the TV or buy a different TV and not a Sony.

A

av-tom

Enthusiast
Did you try keeping the Sony tv offline ?
yes, this had not lead to any success. According to the many research I had optimized all settings but as written above none had success so far to eliminate the wake-ups.
There even exist some apk (Android app) to realize a complete shutdown. But if this is the solution then just switching power off is much simpler...

It sounds like it's the onboard apps doing the waking up of the set....you dont need them if you have the Apple TV.
Again it has nothing to do with Apple TV. It happens on every HDMI connected audio source.

But to validate I appreciate to have more evidence from other users. The TV could have just a defect...which make the wake-up triggering the audio drop outs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis