Sony DIRECTV losing connectivity

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Almost once a day while watching DTV when we change the channel the video goes out and the audio continues to play. The only way to get the video back is to restart the whole system or press my Quick Select button for video.

Also 50% of the days I power on the tv does not recognize the DTV and I have to turn the box off and on to get it to work.
I think the DTV box and display are not communicating. DTV says it’s the display, Sony says it is the box. Neither company can provide me with the code to sync the two.

any ideas? Thanks for your ideas.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Almost once a day while watching DTV when we change the channel the video goes out and the audio continues to play. The only way to get the video back is to restart the whole system or press my Quick Select button for video.

Also 50% of the days I power on the tv does not recognize the DTV and I have to turn the box off and on to get it to work.
I think the DTV box and display are not communicating. DTV says it’s the display, Sony says it is the box. Neither company can provide me with the code to sync the two.

any ideas? Thanks for your ideas.
How is all this connected? Is the DTV box connected to the receiver and the receiver to the TV, or the DTV box to the TV and the audio to the receiver via eARC?

It sounds like a repeater handshake HDMI issue, but the exact connections need to be known before we can make sense of it. Also need to know date and versions of all equipment and the HDMI versions of everything involved to make sense of it.

I will say that I had DTV at our lake home, and DTV equipment is really awful junk. The Comcast gear I have hear is only marginally better.

That is the curse of the equipment from TV companies, it is always of a standard far below everything else in my systems. And not a bit below, but way down low below.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
How is all this connected? Is the DTV box connected to the receiver and the receiver to the TV, or the DTV box to the TV and the audio to the receiver via eARC?

It sounds like a repeater handshake HDMI issue, but the exact connections need to be known before we can make sense of it. Also need to know date and versions of all equipment and the HDMI versions of everything involved to make sense of it.

I will say that I had DTV at our lake home, and DTV equipment is really awful junk. The Comcast gear I have hear is only marginally better.

That is the curse of the equipment from TV companies, it is always of a standard far below everything else in my systems. And not a bit below, but way down low below.
Thanks TLS. I spent the weekend going through everything. I discovered an update on the television. I have the update set to notify me, but I never saw a notification. I installed the update and now the DTV genie is being identified by the Television.
Silly me, I think the processing is better.

There is a digital audio out setting on the television. should I use the PCM setting?

2DFE6FF7-5770-443B-A24F-8DA30FC45FD2.jpeg

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks TLS. I spent the weekend going through everything. I discovered an update on the television. I have the update set to notify me, but I never saw a notification. I installed the update and now the DTV genie is being identified by the Television.
Silly me, I think the processing is better.

There is a digital audio out setting on the television. should I use the PCM setting?

View attachment 51353
It seems as if you don't have a bitstream option, so it looks as if you have the correct option selected.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
The update worked wonders. Wife is happy, everything cycles on and off as it should.
the sound through the tv is incredible. However, if I am watching YouTube through the tv, the receiver does not control the sound. If I press the volume button or the info button nothing shows up on screen.
I will have to run Audyssey again. Subs are hot!
Listening levels are 10 db higher on the relative scale. ( not exactly scientific) but it is louder

thanks again for your assistance.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The update worked wonders. Wife is happy, everything cycles on and off as it should.
the sound through the tv is incredible. However, if I am watching YouTube through the tv, the receiver does not control the sound. If I press the volume button or the info button nothing shows up on screen.
I will have to run Audyssey again. Subs are hot!
Listening levels are 10 db higher on the relative scale. ( not exactly scientific) but it is louder

thanks again for your assistance.
I'm not sure how much assistance I gave you. But if I gave a vague pointer in the generally correct direction, you are welcome.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis