Sony Delays PS3 Launch Until November

According to a report by the Associated Press, Sony will delay the release of the PlayStation 3 console until November. It had been planned for a spring debut, but delays in the finalization of its next-generation optical disc technology have thrown a wrench in the works. The delay occurred while Sony attemps to work at finalizing the copyright protection technology and other standards for the Blu-ray DVD disc. In fact, the contributing factors of copyright protection issues and involvement of the Blu-ray Disc (BD) format made it almost inevitable. I think it's safe to say that while Sony is being very courteous, we can likely blame the RIAA and DRM-whining for the delay.

[Read More]

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kkrambo

Enthusiast
Price check

Is that $199 price correct? I haven't seen that information elsewhere.

$199 is the newly announced lower price for the PSP (portable). I wonder if the author mistakenly attributed it to the PS3.

I haven't seen an official PS3 price announcement but speculation is $400-$500.

-- Kevin

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
where did you see 199? thats way off.. the ps3 will cost at least 400.

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
He got it from the posted story
"Did he mention a price? Oh yeah! $199 US dollars for the "base" unit which you can bet simply means one controller, no headset, no frills but at least it will include the 60 Gig hard drive. "
I think they confused them selves though here is the quote from Kutaragi

"Kutaragi also had a few big announcements that pertained to the PSP, the most immediate being a price drop to $199 for the basic pack at the end of March in the U.S. This spring will also see a browser upgrade that will include Macromedia Flash 6.0 support. Kutaragi gave details on some later technology enhancements to look forward to this fall as well: RSS support, video and voice-over-IP, and a USB GPS receiver that will interface with new games (a version of Hot Shots Golf was mentioned for this). A PSP EyeToy camera will release in September and will feature a version of EyeToy Play and video chat. "

Source: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148775

Last edited:
Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Sorry about the confusion but you're right.

Also the online game service has been named according to Kotaku.com and the units won't ALL come with a 60 Gig drive. But the strange thing is that it'll be required to play PS3 games? I can't imagine buying a game console that can't actually play the games. But since they'll be backward compatible to the older PlayStations I assume you'll be able to play older games.

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
Wayde, We all do it. No worries. Hey you took the time to write it, I do appreciate it. Sony has allot more riding on this then they would like to admit, lets see how it work out.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Early this morning I was sorting out the info from the opinion. It was an interesting study. It was a total brain cramp mis reading PSP news for PS3. However reports on the presence of the 60GB HDD in 'every' unit or only 'some' units is still up in the air as far as I'm concerned.

The whole console war is fascinating. If Sony pulls off 6 mil units by year's end ... in the words of Mike Tyson... "I take my hand off to him."

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Gotta give Sony a lotta credit for not giving in to the pressure from XBOX 360 and simply throwing unprepared junk on the market.
On the lighter side: Hey parents, like me, November, just in time for Xmas.:rolleyes:

C

ca_newbee

Audioholic Intern
If they miss November I think X360 wins on a technical KO... maybe I will have to buy a HD-DVD player

K

KrisJ

Junior Audioholic
Good!

More time to save for a new TV as the Sony 50A10 I bought in October was stolen from my house last Friday:mad:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis