Sony Core Series vs Klipsch Reference (Best Buy) Series

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It's like the Klipsch engineers voiced them specifically to make TV and movie sound super-intelligible and exciting, without harshness or sounding contrived. I think I like the RF62s better than I would the Salon2s in that little HT system. I haven't tried it (too inconvenient), but I'd make a small wager on it.
I'm right there with you, except I do hope to get bored enough one day to compare my Focal Twin6Be's against the Klipsch. The problem is getting the bass reasonably close on both! The Focals do not have the bass extension of the Klipsch. If I add Subs to the Focals, they surpass the Klipsch, etc. Maybe of I set both up with one Rythmik and one PSA for the Focals and the same for the Klipsch crossing for best sound in both cases, I'll get close.:confused:

F

felipe

Audioholic
I'm glad to find that I'm not the only one who doesn't find the Klipschs to be harsh/fatiguing. In all honesty, I find these Klipschs to be more tonally balanced than the Polks. I have not heard the upper-level Reference IIs or the Premieres, but I reckon that they are an improvment ;).
I'm thinking I might take a look on the inside of these things..see what they're made of...;)

F

felipe

Audioholic
After taking a peek inside, I can see how these speakers are 1) NOT worth the full price tag, but 2) worth the Black friday 1/2 off sale price.
What did I find? For starters, I was able to view the crossover from the front port...air core inductors, solid(steel) core inductors, and electrolytic caps..so nothing special..ho-hum.
For the tweeter/compression driver, there was a neo magnet structure with a good size aluminum heatsink...a welcome design ;).
For the woofer, it uses a stamped basket (but its painted, so it looks not as cheap). Diaphragm was stiff and seemed like it could have good damping (inverted dust cap is a plus in my book ;) )Magnet was a good size (its shielded, but not with that large metal casing surrounding the magnet). Another welcome design...a vented pole piece ;).
Enclosure? Well, there's a good amount of corner bracing, along with a couple of cross braces that are also corner-braced to increase rigidity...I suppose. A decent amount of dampening material in the middle of the cabinet along with a thinner sheet of dark dampening material lining the bottom of the cabinet.
All in all, I think its a decent overall design for entry-level. I'm guessing they allocated the budget a little more towards the drivers and the cabinet aesthetics/design. Like I said before, for the 1/2 off sale price, these IMO are a good deal :).

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I don't think anyone could accuse Klipsch of not being an apt speaker manufacturer, even now.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis