Sony Core Bookshelf -- crazy good deal

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Good find Zieg. The cheapest that I have ever seen is like $108 a set! This is an extraordinary deal no doubt.

Cheers,

Phil

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Wow! That is insanely cheap!
For $220 you could have decent 5.0 speakers for a budget HT!

Has anyone heard the Sony 10" sub?
It is one of the least expensive 10" subs that has a crossover control.
I would venture that the Monoprice 12" sub is better and is on sale right now for $90 (instead of $100) but then you get hit with $40 shipping (or at least I do to Georgia). The Dayton Audio SUB-1000 is $120 shipped, so the Monoprice 12" at $130 is probably the best option.
That would be a 5.1 speaker system for $350 (or $475 with towers for the mains).

Edit: The center is listed twice on Amazon. Elsewhere Amazon has it at $170, but the link below takes you to $73 for the same center new (and says the regular price for the center is $148)!
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SSCS8-3-Driver-Channel-Speaker/dp/B00O8YLNRS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1510161286&sr=8-3&keywords=sony+core+series

Last edited:
B

bubbrik

Audioholic Intern
Is there a recommendation for a 2.1 budget amplifier that can go with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Is there a recommendation for a 2.1 budget amplifier that can go with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Monoprice, Dayton Audio and Sony subs all have speaker level inputs and outputs which allow you to connect an "old-fashioned" 2.0 amp to the sub and run the wires from the sub to the speakers.
These are the best deals on stereo receivers I know of.
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/stereoreceivers/home-audio/receivers-amps/stereo-receivers/1.html
The Sonys are a pretty easy load and the $100 Yamaha in this link should have an easy time with them!
The $120 Onkyo would also do a good job if you want knobs on the front panel instead of buttons (though both have remotes, of course). The Onkyo does offer a sub-out RCA as well which can make your wiring cleaner and is a better (as in simpler) way to connect the sub.
If you aren't willing to risk buying refurbished, I noticed Amazon has the same Yamaha for $150 shipped. You can find out what A4L charges for shipping by putting it in your cart and inputting your zip.

Amazon has the Onkyo new for $145 shipped, so that is a better option than the refurb at $120 plus shipping!

Last, you might want to look at the Yamaha R-N301. ($200 at A4L) you can hook you network cable directly from your modem to it. Depending on how you plan to use it and your sources (and their $$) this may be a good option.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Are the Core speakers at BB on sale right now? It says Black Friday. I checked and they are supposedly out of stock at my local BB. Was just in there not very long ago and they had plenty of the Core speakers in stock. Perhaps, they are gearing up for Black Friday deals, no? The Core towers for $100 each is a deal of the century inmho. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Never mind, got to look at the entire sales ad. There are some really good deals already. Not just on the Core speakers. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Never mind, got to look at the entire sales ad. There are some really good deals already. Not just on the Core speakers. :):):)
I would think about buying them again -- however, I just bought some Carver Cinema bookshelf speakers off Ebay -- which are nearly as good as the Canton speakers that I have.

However for someone in need, the Sony is a no-brainer and is not easy to trump, even at its former $229 price.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I would think about buying them again -- however, I just bought some Carver Cinema bookshelf speakers off Ebay -- which are nearly as good as the Canton speakers that I have.

However for someone in need, the Sony is a no-brainer and is not easy to trump, even at its former $229 price.
Oh man Carver=good stuff. Sounds like you got lucky again. I also agree in that the Cores are very good for the money. Congrats on the Carvers! Can't wait to see some pics Zieg. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Oh man Carver=good stuff. Sounds like you got lucky again. I also agree in that the Cores are very good for the money. Congrats on the Carvers! Can't wait to see some pics Zieg. :):):)
They got me, because the top and bottom caps seem to be glued and you cannot roll the sock down. However, they have a 5.5 inch woofer -- 1 inch soft dome tweeter -- 2.5 inch rear firing woofer -- 12 db octave crossover. And rated 60 hz to 21 khz and 4 ohms. On a side note, I use to own some in the past and I did open them up -- however, I could not put them back together.:eek::)

They were sold for parts only -- however, he said that he tested them with a small low level RadioShack amp for a short period and that the sound was clear, and he could not guarantee that they would hold up. But, that was a sign for me that they should be fine -- and they are. Under $57 total with shipping.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
They got me, because the top and bottom caps seem to be glued and you cannot roll the sock down. However, they have a 5.5 inch woofer -- 1 inch soft dome tweeter -- 2.5 inch rear firing woofer -- 12 db octave crossover. And rated 60 hz to 21 khz and 4 ohms. On a side note, I use to own some in the past and I did open them up -- however, I could not put them back together.:eek::)

They were sold for parts only -- however, he said that he tested them with a small low level RadioShack amp for a short period and that the sound was clear, and he could not guarantee that they would hold up. But, that was a sign for me that they should be fine -- and they are. Under $55 total with shipping.

Wow Zieg! You seem to have a knack for finding the right deal. Since you was not able to put the old Carvers back together, I would not bother with it this time. Maybe it is a good thing the tops/bottoms are glued. Sure is an interesting design. Thanks for the pics!

Cheers,

Phil

kystorm

kystorm

Audioholic
After much reading, I'm bout ready to try the cores out, l/r and center. However my hold up seems to be the 6ohm load. Is that in anyway going to damage my 8ohm yamaha receiver?
Thanks for any help

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
After much reading, I'm bout ready to try the cores out, l/r and center. However my hold up seems to be the 6ohm load. Is that in anyway going to damage my 8ohm yamaha receiver?
Thanks for any help
You will be fine with the Sony and Yamaha -- What is the model number of your Yamaha

kystorm

kystorm

Audioholic
Hey, its a rx- v365. I'm kinda torn cause I have 2 infinity sterlings up front that still sound good to my ears, but I do need to upgrade my center channel which doesnt match at all but finding a matching center for the infinities at a decent price seems pointless if the sony's sound that good. Plus I could always use the infinite ones as rears as an upgrade of the other crappy sounding cerwin v's. Good idea or no?
thanks

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Hey, its a rx- v365. I'm kinda torn cause I have 2 infinity sterlings up front that still sound good to my ears, but I do need to upgrade my center channel which doesnt match at all but finding a matching center for the infinities at a decent price seems pointless if the sony's sound that good. Plus I could always use the infinite ones as rears as an upgrade of the other crappy sounding cerwin v's. Good idea or no?
thanks
The Yamaha is fine -- I would go with the Sony up front, You should find the Sony more articulate and smooth sounding -- and use the Infinity for surrounds.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis