Sony/BMG yanks thier piracy software!

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Huzzah! Sony finally pulled its head out of its ***.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
:D Only because they were embarrassingly left with no choice...

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Aha, serves Sony right... Yeah, I say they deserve it.....
Clearly someone else dislikes Sony.....

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
After the virus came out last week it was the end for them and their root kit. Can anyone say liability. Im not sure what kind of EULA Sony puts out on their CD's but i can't imagine it would hold up in court. That and Microsoft was about to put the smack down on them, a kinda you fix it or we will. Music and the Entertainment industry still have not gotten it. You will never stop piracy and another strategy with that in mind is needed.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
NomoSony said:
Hmmmm Who could that be? :D
Certainly not NomoSony:p J/K, It's quite apparent that you really dislike them with your title....;)

RJB

RJB

Audioholic
We'll see if MS and/or Sony can really remove the rootkit without rendering the systems unusable...

Ever tried removing rootkits? I do on a regular basis as part of my business and it's not generally a very pleasant process and neither is the outcome...

Go do some reading on rootkits if you want to be depressed...it's not much different than performing surgery on the OS kernel with no safety net...

They're the biggest thing on my IT hate list these days.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
brian32672 said:
Certainly not NomoSony:p J/K, It's quite apparent that you really dislike them with your title....;)
Honestly, I don't have a true hatred for Sony. My name actually relates back to the sudden demise of my Sony reciever. Poof, No more Sony.

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
I was reading slashdot over the weekend and came upon this

""If you think the Sony rootkit is bad, check out the accompanying EULA! From the EFF's summary: 'If your house gets burgled, you have to delete all your music from your laptop when you get home. ... Sony-BMG can install and use backdoors in the copy protection software or media player to "enforce their rights" against you, at any time, without notice. ... Forget about using the music as a soundtrack for your latest family photo slideshow, or mash-ups, or sampling.'" "

Better have a good burgler alarm!!!

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/11/13/1419206&tid=233&tid=141&tid=17

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
RJB said:
We'll see if MS and/or Sony can really remove the rootkit without rendering the systems unusable...

Ever tried removing rootkits? I do on a regular basis as part of my business and it's not generally a very pleasant process and neither is the outcome...

Go do some reading on rootkits if you want to be depressed...it's not much different than performing surgery on the OS kernel with no safety net...

They're the biggest thing on my IT hate list these days.
The company that wrote the software for Sony says they have a patch to disable their rootkit, but it leaves the back door open.... There is a company that has come up with a removal scheme, but even they said "It is like doing open heart surgery."

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis