P

PalomaRandall

Audiophyte
Hello All,

I have 120w left and right speakers and 100w surround speakers. All 8Ω... Will a new Sony 725w surround receiver work with these speakers?
loginjet.net
The receiver states it puts out 145w per channel
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
James S.

James S.

Junior Audioholic
Yes, most of the time, depending on listening levels you might use only 15 watts. Receiver specs. can be stated a little high by manufacturers.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hello All,

I have 120w left and right speakers and 100w surround speakers. All 8Ω... Will a new Sony 725w surround receiver work with these speakers?

The receiver states it puts out 145w per channel
Thanks in advance.
A 120 watt rated speaker is far from needing 120 watts to be driven. As a matter of fact, in most home situations only an average of a few watts is needed to drive loudspeakers, unless someone listens at high SPL at a rather great distance from the speakers.

Bear in mind that a wattage rating on a speaker is actually the maximum peak power that it will handle for a second or so before needing repair or replacement.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Advertised with total wattage like that doesn't tell you much (adding up the max wattage for each channel) aside from that maybe this is only a 5ch avr (145 x 5 = 725). Same for a max wattage for a speaker, not much use really except where damage might occur. The nominal impedance of a speaker doesn't tell you much either, as the impedance varies quite a bit with frequency, and many 8 ohm speakers are actually 6 or even 4 ohm for practical purposes.

In any case better to provide brand/model numbers for gear being discussed. I suspect the receiver is this one ? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-725w-5-2-ch-hi-res-4k-ultra-hd-a-v-home-theater-receiver-black/6187502.p?skuId=6187502

FWIW that receiver's manual indicates the specs as follows:

Amplifier section
Speaker impedance use
6 ohms – 16 ohms

Minimum RMS Output Power
(6 ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz, THD 0.09%) 90 W + 90 W

Stereo Mode Output Power
(6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 0.9%) 105 W + 105 W

Surround Mode Output Power
(6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 0.9%) 145 W per channel

So they're playing some advertising games with the specs....and they don't even show the usual 8 ohm spec which would be easier to compare to many others with. I'd suspect the usual full band rating at 8 ohm with a relatively low THD is no better than 70 watts per channel (and not all channels driven simultaneously).

What speakers are you using? How far away will the speakers be from your seat? Sensitivity of your speakers will tell you more about amp needs than a wattage rating....

The avr will likely work just fine with your speakers in any case.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis