ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Pretty sure he said tweeter would be Be.
When it comes to voicing, I've heard many say the tweeter is what's really the most important. Those mids he's using in his upper tier models are all very nice and I wouldn't expect any of them to alter sound quality in a drastic manner from one to the next.
The Accuton Mid may be the most polarizing, however, as it is very highly detailed and unforgiving in the reproduction of a signal. Some people do not like them at all. My experience with a full Accuton Tower was quite the opposite and truly a fantastic experience.
I digress, though. I do not think Jim, with Dennis and Paul K at his side, would ever introduce something that didn't match up in terms of delivering on his Bespoke style. ;) That his most expensive offering is a fraction of what other 'Bespoke' offerings cost is a testament, I think, to his values. That said, I would trust in his advice, and if he says it's a good match, I have no doubt it will be as he said! :D

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Weird, a Sonus Faber thread with little or no discussion of SF! :cool: It seems they are not held in very high regard in these parts. That said, I find myself really drawn to a used set of Sonetto V, if I can find them. I'd love a set of Sonetto VIII, but they are only rated 2 dB deeper bass than the V. Has anybody had any experience?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Personally I've never seen a SF speaker, but have generally read very nice things about them, particularly their furniture aspect. Love to try but out in the boonies....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Gotta agree with Lovin'... they are hard to find.
I think I saw somebody in the City (SF) might carry a model or two... but those are up at the higher end of the spectrum.

Have heard good things about Sonus Faber, not only about the build and finish. If I were in the market at the price point those exist in, I would consider them in a heartbeat.

B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
Personally I've never seen a SF speaker, but have generally read very nice things about them, particularly their furniture aspect. Love to try but out in the boonies....
They are gorgeous, BUT I think that Jim's speakers, with the finish we will be getting, will be every bit as attractive. AND less than half the price. I also do think that the Salk speakers sound every bit as great as the SF's. The SF's are advertised as being "luxury" items, so mainly represent a status symbol if you are willing to shell out the high price for them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They are gorgeous, BUT I think that Jim's speakers, with the finish we will be getting, will be every bit as attractive. AND less than half the price. I also do think that the Salk speakers sound every bit as great as the SF's. The SF's are advertised as being "luxury" items, so mainly represent a status symbol if you are willing to shell out the high price for them.
I'd take the Salks in a heart beat :)

S

Slevin19

Audioholic Intern
Weird, a Sonus Faber thread with little or no discussion of SF! Has anybody had any experience?
I find this to be an issue on this forum.

First: everyone is super helpful here.

However, a few members hijack all discussions and turn them into Salk / Philharmonic topics in these threads. I don’t care if they have affiliations with those companies or not. Personally, I’d prefer they just leave a link to Salk / Philharmonic thread rather than write 25 posts on those speakers on a SF thread.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think the bigger issue is the relatively small footprint the brand has in the US.....

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Last time I checked McIntosh owns Sonus Faber. If i'm wrong let me know. I don't look at speaker mags (if they exist) but I've never seen a McIntosh Ad before. I would assume since they don't advertise much, they probably won't advertise the Sonus Faber much either. They'll just rely on rich people to purchase both products together. :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hey, @Bruce53 , do you have a problem that a few of us talked Salk speakers to you on your Sonus Faber thread?

B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
NO, NOT AT ALL. I'm very happy with my choice of Salks. It was quite enjoyable and enlightening for us to visit his shop, meet Jim, his wife and many of his staff. I was completely sold by end of visit.
If not for your suggestions on this thread, I would still have been trying to figure out which way to go with the speakers for my new home! If I ever upgrade any of my 17 year old M&K speakers, it will be with more Salk speakers. Don't knwo that really need to do that for surrounds at this point though. The LCR seem to be most important.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think this is the first time I've seen your speakers. They're stunning. I LOVE that finish.
Jim's pic is cleaner as I took mine on setup before the subs came and fingerprints everywhere lol
Fingerprints?? I've had my Ultras in piano gloss black for almost 5 years now and have yet to touch them with my bare hands! I always wear gloves when I handle them.

I know. I have issues, lol.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I didn't know you had Salks too! Which ones?
No not me I was just welcoming him to club Salk but I do not personally owned them. I have heard several pairs but I do not possess any at this time thinking in the future of getting those bookshelf BMR's

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I find this to be an issue on this forum.

First: everyone is super helpful here.

However, a few members hijack all discussions and turn them into Salk / Philharmonic topics in these threads. I don’t care if they have affiliations with those companies or not. Personally, I’d prefer they just leave a link to Salk / Philharmonic thread rather than write 25 posts on those speakers on a SF thread.
I would venture a guess that's because many people here are a lot more familiar with Salk products. A likely alternative would be no replies at all... The fact that they're half the price with similar or same quality probably doesn't hurt either. Most people appreciate saving a few bucks.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I just want to say that my comments earlier on this page were in no way a criticism of folks who discussed other brands on the thread. I just found it odd how there was no more discussion of SF in the thread. I actually appreciate being made aware of any other options of similar quality, especially if they can be had for substantially less moolah!

F

fasdfds33

Audiophyte
This is how I heard the audio system I very own (but via Philharmonic Audio... Dennis did the identical issue!) If you have an interest, attain out to Jim to buy some music gadget after reading some reviews. He is thought to answer the cellphone himself.

B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
This is how I heard the audio system I very own (but via Philharmonic Audio... Dennis did the identical issue!) If you have an interest, attain out to Jim to buy some music gadget after reading some reviews. He is thought to answer the cellphone himself.
We drove to Pontiac and spent several hours with him. Very impressive. Resulting order for new LCR speakers!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I liked the SF that I heard at RMAF a few years back. But, I can't say there was anything that really stood out or made me think they were clearly better/worse than others in similar price range.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis