Someone please help!

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
All,

I was recently prompted to install MS internet explorer 7. Recalling that it had been mentioned on Audioholics' homepage and found to be alright I decided to give it a go. :)

What a nightmare! :( I like the look of the interface and all, but it frequently takes ages to load a page before finally letting me know that actually, it was unable to do so. Any yet if the refresh button is pressed, sometimes it'll load the page immediately. It's not that the sites that I'm trying to access are too busy; this has happened on the likes of Audioholics' website to mention but one.

I went into Options and turned off the phishing filter, thinking that maybe it was this new feature. Nope. :(

I have no idea what's going wrong. The only help (?) that I can give is that when it's taking ages to load a page, the bottom status bar says something like 'Connecting to...' yet the progress bar at the bottom right doesn't appear as normal. :confused:

Finally I'd had enough and went to MS's website to reload version 6. Silly me. Because I now have the newest version, it won't allow me to. :mad:

Aaaaargh! :mad: Can anybody help me get back to version 6 or, ideally, sort out version 7 which, apart from the issue of speed, I much prefer? :eek:

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Hi Robbie,

I had similar issues at first but i've been using the new version for about a week and it works fine now. I don't get it either...Maybe the cookies and such have to all get loaded and then things speed up???

My only suggestion is to double check all your security settings and make sure that they are set the way they were before your "upgrade".

Good luck and let us know what you find out,
SBF1

Buckle-meister

Sheep: Thanks for the link. I did give some thought to Firefox but I'd like to see if I can first get IE7 fixed. For now...

STRONGBADF1 said:
I had similar issues at first but i've been using the new version for about a week and it works fine now.
Well, that gives me some small hope. Almost all the time I connect to the internet I now get the little yellow shield in the tray on the bottom right to tell me that there're updates to be installed. This must be connected to the installation of IE7. :confused:

I'll grit my teeth and give 'Bill' some more time to sort IE7 out for me. Man it's frustrating though when you're used to a Broadband connection.

STRONGBADF1 said:
...let us know what you find out.
Will do. Cheers. :)

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
My guess, without knowing your computer or even having half a clue about computers in general, is you have insufficient memory.
More info on your system would probably help.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Mr. B,

If it's any consolation, I went through the same thing; It sorted itself out. Give it time.:)

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
Buckle-meister said:
All,

I was recently prompted to install MS internet explorer 7. Recalling that it had been mentioned on Audioholics' homepage and found to be alright I decided to give it a go. :)

What a nightmare! :( I like the look of the interface and all, but it frequently takes ages to load a page before finally letting me know that actually, it was unable to do so. Any yet if the refresh button is pressed, sometimes it'll load the page immediately. It's not that the sites that I'm trying to access are too busy; this has happened on the likes of Audioholics' website to mention but one.

I went into Options and turned off the phishing filter, thinking that maybe it was this new feature. Nope. :(

I have no idea what's going wrong. The only help (?) that I can give is that when it's taking ages to load a page, the bottom status bar says something like 'Connecting to...' yet the progress bar at the bottom right doesn't appear as normal. :confused:

Finally I'd had enough and went to MS's website to reload version 6. Silly me. Because I now have the newest version, it won't allow me to. :mad:

Aaaaargh! :mad: Can anybody help me get back to version 6 or, ideally, sort out version 7 which, apart from the issue of speed, I much prefer? :eek:
This is why I haven't upgraded just yet to IE7 :p (Had horrible experiences with the betas, and WMP kept crapping out on me).
Here's something you can try: Uninstall IE7 and re-install IE6 (IE6 should be automagically restored once u remove IE7. If not u can always hit up the windows installation CD).

Before doing anything else, backup your favorites/bookmarks to some place safe.

To uninstall IE7, go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. At the top of this window there will be a check-box marked "Show Updates".
Make sure you check that box. Now scroll down until you find the entry for IE7 and uninstall that sucka.

Be vevy vevy careful; don't uninstall any other update component because that might screw up something on the computer!

An alternate method would be to use system restore to go to the state that existed prior to the IE7 installation. Assuming you have the system restore service running, a backup should have occured b4 IE7 was installed.

You could just install Firefox and be done with it, but of course the windows update page will never work right for thee then!

If you still want to muck around with IE7, uninstall it and run some sort of registry cleaning program/crapware removal program (crapcleaner, adaware, spybot, etc). Make sure they clean out all internet related folders, including caches and cookies. You should also go into the IE6 options and delete all files/cookies/caches to be sure.

Afterall that is done, reboot, and try to re-install IE7.

Last edited:
Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
Easy to remedy.
Just uninstall IE7 from your "add/remove programs" in your control panel and IE6 will automatically return. LOL I have done it twice now for basically the same reasons, slow loading, and returned to 6 with no problems.
I have a very fast system with plenty of memory and XP Pro very tweaked so I know it is not my hardware of software.
I like the look of 7, mmm 7 of 9 who didn't like that look lol, but not its' slowness.

Buckle-meister

Nomo said:
My guess, without knowing your computer or even having half a clue about computers in general, is you have insufficient memory.
More info on your system would probably help.
It's definitely not a memory problem as I relatively recently reformatted (man that's a lot of r's :D) my computer as I felt it was taking longer to boot up. It's not the fact that I reformatted though, as up 'till installing IE7, everything was going swimmingly.

stratman said:
Mr. B,

If it's any consolation, I went through the same thing; It sorted itself out. Give it time.:)
Mr. B. I like it. :cool: Though you're not the first to call me it. ;)

Seems to be becoming a consensus that it'll sort itself out. I'll run with it a bit more then.

evilkat said:
Here's something you can try...Be vevy vevy careful
Yes, thanks for that Evilkat. :D If things don't improve I'll perhaps do as you suggest. Watch this space.

Thanks everyone. I very much appreciate your help. :)

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
I did the upgrade a month or so ago. My mouse bounced around a bit at first, but the latest mouse driver cured that. No other problems so far. I recently found a free utility to clean out legacy entries in the registry. http://www.ccleaner.com/ I used it on my four year old home computer and some of the older compters at the office. The all ran noticeably faster after the registry cleaning . I think it was about 400 entries cleaned from my home computer. From my research, there are registry cleaners that do a more through cleaning, but they are not free.

Nick

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
Nick250 said:
I did the upgrade a month or so ago. My mouse bounced around a bit at first, but the latest mouse driver cured that. No other problems so far. I recently found a free utility to clean out legacy entries in the registry. http://www.ccleaner.com/ I used it on my four year old home computer and some of the older compters at the office. The all ran noticeably faster after the registry cleaning . I think it was about 400 entries cleaned from my home computer. From my research, there are registry cleaners that do a more through cleaning, but they are not free.

Nick
Regcleaner (by Jouni Vuorio) is the best by far that I have ever used. And it's free :)

I use a combo of Spybot, Adaware, Windows Defender, Regcleaner and of course Crapcleaner on my system.

R

rtcp

Junior Audioholic
Sheep said:
Just get Firefox. Much safer then ANY IE Browser, and its free.

www.firefox.com

SheepStar
Eh, it's really not that much safer anymore. And it's a major memory hog.

Buckle-meister said:
It's definitely not a memory problem as I relatively recently reformatted (man that's a lot of r's :D) my computer as I felt it was taking longer to boot up.
This is because of Windows Rot*. The same problem that resulted in Nick's 400 bad registry entries, and the main reason that my next computer will be a Mac. Also, memory ≠ storage space (hard drive space).

*(or maybe a fragmented hard drive, or too many boot entries)

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
rtcp said:
Eh, it's really not that much safer anymore. And it's a major memory hog.
There's a number of things you can do to reduce memory usage in FF. In fact, it might actually be a feature and not a bug for once ;)

Listen fellas, there's no safest browser anywhere. There's only safe browsing habits.

Buckle-meister

Weird.

I've noticed that when I keep getting notification to install security updates via the little yellow shield in the tray, it's always the same update, even though I'm told that it installs fine each time! It's security update KB923980 if that means anything to anyone. :(

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Mr B,;)

Have you re-started your computer after the download and install? That might be it.:)

Buckle-meister

stratman said:
Have you re-started your computer after the download and install?
I have, but still I'm asked to install. I've configured the settings so that it'll automatically download the update but it's up to me when to actually install it. So far so good, but something's clearly not right as I really shouldn't have to do that.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
....firefox.....

You can reduce hte mem hogging by opening other windows in tabs. Saves lots of resources.

SheepStar

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
Buckle-meister said:
I have, but still I'm asked to install. I've configured the settings so that it'll automatically download the update but it's up to me when to actually install it. So far so good, but something's clearly not right as I really shouldn't have to do that.

When in doubt, reformat <3

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
Buckle-meister said:
Bye bye IE7. :mad: Hello IE6. :)
And in a curious twist of fate, I just inadvertently installed IE7 (it snuck in through a Windows Update) :p

Bye-bye IE6, hello IE7 :D

Hopefully this version is more stable than the RCs I had seen earlier, and will fare better than your adventures with it, BM :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis