Some TING Wonderful: Cell Phone MVNO Provider

jinjuku

jinjuku

So this doesn't have to do with Audio. So now that it's out of the way....

My contract with Sprint came to term and I wanted to start researching my options. My first was to simply look at new plans that Sprint and the other carriers where offering.

I know the market space with AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint is getting more competitive and even the $45 T-Mobile plan looked effective for my usage habits.

I did some more research and started reading about MVNO *Mobile Virtual Network Operators*. They purchase a large amount of access from the big guys and then figure out how to monetize it.

That is where TING came in. I couldn't bring my phone to T-Mobile. Since TING is an MVNO of Sprint my Galaxy SIII was natively supported. The phone does everything I need so there was no sense in upgrading.

Also I found that even $45 may be too much vs Ting's sliding scale.

So their sliding scale is based on usage of Voice, Text, and Data. You have a fixed $6 a month/phone and no usage of any of the Voice/Text/Data yields zero cost.

Use just Voice and Data but no Text? You only pay for those two categories.

Your first minute, first text, first MB puts you into the first bin. So minutes 1-101 are one price then 102-500 is your next price tier. Same for text and data.

The next thing that I liked about the service is the usage Dashboard KILLS Sprints. Sprints was ugly, hard to read at a glance and honestly just slow and a bit convoluted to use.

Also TING made it easy to sign up using Amazon Payments platform. Impressive. This is how it is done folks.

So far my average bill for usage is $21 a month. That's right. I haven't changed my usage habits. I went from $83 with tax with Sprint to $24 with tax a month on average.

Since I'm on the Sprint network my coverage hasn't changed either.

Shameless Plug: If you use this link you and I get a $25 credit.

If you don't want to bump me a credit (or yourself :) ): www.ting.com

Either way you should check them out.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
+100 for Ting. I am currently on t-mobile $30 prepaid plan which gives me 5gb lte data, unlimited text and 100mins of voice. But between my work voip system and hangouts voip android support, its no longer an issue.
Do bear in mind i paid full price for my s4, but easy math will show you its worth it.
For my wife i switched her from Verizon to ting. Bought nexus 5 phone and had it activated on ting no issues. Her bill are now around $25-30 a month. Not bad.
I keep our phones on separate cell providers for a bit better resiliency.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Jin, install Hangouts dialer and get free us calls while on wifi.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis