some advice please!

G

gdm

Enthusiast
I currently have the Polk Audio LS15s for the front speakers, the LSiC and will shortly have the LSi9s installed as the surround speakers. My receiver is a Denon 4802R which has no problem powering these 4 ohm speakers.

I currently have a Klipsch Model 100 subwoofer. (10 inch bottom firing with a 100 watt amp.) There is nothing wrong with the subwoofer however I would like to upgrade.

The listening area is about 25 ft. by 40. It is a fully finished basement with carpeting and a drop ceiling. I have no complaints about the Klipsch and it seems to be adaquate in this room.

I was seriously considering the Polk Audio LSiW. (2 side firing 10 inch speakers and a 400 watt amp.) However, as most of are aware Polk has recalled ALL of the LSiWs and after talking to Polk Audio, they are advising 3-6 months before they will start shipping again.

I do watch a lot of DVDs so good bass important. However, 95% of the time the system is used for listening to music-classiscal and instrumental jazz.

My price range is $500-1,000 for a new subwoofer. I do not want boomy base, just good tight bass that will not compromise the music.

Any suggestions? Make and model are not important - your experience means more!

Thanks in advance!

H

hootie10

Enthusiast
the answer is HSU research

I also listen to a lot of classical music thru some Energy Veritas v2.2i's. The sub I use a HSU Research TN-1220HO subwoofer with the 250W amp and the sound is as close to perfect as you can get. However, you might opt for the TN's with the 500W amp for your big room. No HT boom on these subs.

Although since you do watch a good bit of movies, you can also consider the HSU Research VTF-3. I heard it is better for movies while keeping good musicality.

I highly recommend these two HSU subwoofers.

G

gdm

Enthusiast
Thank you! I will start checking out the HSU Research VTF-3.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Let's dispense with the recurring myth that one sub is great for music and not so for movies or vice-versa. The sub doesn't know whether the signal is music or a movie or music within a movie - it simply reproduces BASS.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
You might also want to check out Axiom Audio's new subwoofer. It's a 12-inch, 19Hz monster. Although it is $1150, you still might want to check into it. Better yet, talk to Gene and see what he thinks!

annunaki

annunaki

Some others to consider as well (in no particular order):

Velodyne, Adire Audio, Dayton Titanic Mk III (it is a simple DIY, yet sounds great), SVS, and PSB just to name a few.

There are many subs from each of these companies which would fit your bill nicely. Do some research and listening if you can on any/all of them.

G

gdm

Enthusiast
Thanks to all of you!! It took me about 2 years of reading reviews, listening to systems, etc. before I made a decision on the main speakers, etc. It will probably take that long to make this decision! Good thing I am not in a hurry!! Ya' know, this was a lot easier back in the 70s when all we worried about was stereo and how much was could spend on a Technics or Dual turntable!!! (oops-now you know just how old I really am!! This is my fourth system since those days so I try to get the best I can afford and can live with for 10+ years!)

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Anonymous said:
Let's dispense with the recurring myth that one sub is great for music and not so for movies or vice-versa. The sub doesn't know whether the signal is music or a movie or music within a movie - it simply reproduces BASS.
Whoever you are, thanks for joining. We need more people like you here.

Subwoofers are NEVER "tight" and there is no such thing as a "musical subwoofer". Even the finest subwoofers all sound like mud by themselves.

-Chad

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
cbraver said:
Whoever you are, thanks for joining. We need more people like you here.

Subwoofers are NEVER "tight" and there is no such thing as a "musical subwoofer". Even the finest subwoofers all sound like mud by themselves.

-Chad
That is a truly idiotic statement. Where do you get 'Even the finest subwoofers all sound like mud by themselves'? Did I ever say all subwoofers sound like mud? NO.

The point is that a subwoofer that is 'tight' or 'musical' for music will also be tight and musical for movies (Ever seen a move that didn't have any music?). Of course, those are idiotic audiophile terms that have no meaning anyway, so what do you know? A sub reproduces bass. If it is relatively flat across the entire frequency range it is spec'ed to reproduce, it will be good for music AND movies. It it isn't flat or doesn't reach low enough then it won't be good for music OR movies.

Next I expect you to tell us how some subwoofers are 'fast' and some aren't.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis