Solder vs Solderless Terminations

Malakei

Malakei

Junior Audioholic
I think I will likely go with spade connections on my speaker wire because it looks like the banana plug connectors are a pain in the a$$. Any differences on solder vs solderless? I have no problem soldering the wire in if its better but why bother if its better solderless.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Malakei said:
I think I will likely go with spade connections on my speaker wire because it looks like the banana plug connectors are a pain in the a$$. Any differences on solder vs solderless? I have no problem soldering the wire in if its better but why bother if its better solderless.
A proper solder joint protects the joint from oxidation. Personally, I avoid solderless plugs in most cases.

-Chris

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
why would you go to all the trouble to get 99.99 plus per cent pure copper all the way through then stick a bunch of tin and antimony and who knows what right at the most critical point ? A good solderless connection will be the best way to go.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Leprkon said:
why would you go to all the trouble to get 99.99 plus per cent pure copper all the way through then stick a bunch of tin and antimony and who knows what right at the most critical point ? A good solderless connection will be the best way to go.
My God! I hope you don't use any electronics produced by anyone other than yourself! All that *awful* solder connecting everything --- sheesh! :eek:

-Chris

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
WmAx said:
My God! I hope you don't use any electronics produced by anyone other than yourself! All that *awful* solder connecting everything --- sheesh! :eek: -Chris
solder is like Ben Gay.....use it where you need it, but don't put it where it hurts more than helps... ;)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Malakei said:
Any differences on solder vs solderless? I have no problem soldering the wire in if its better but why bother if its better solderless.

What kind of differences are you implying here?
How do you know it is better solderless? If that was the case, solder would have been obsolete a long time ago? Or, never come to the marketplace in the first place?

B

bbakken82

Audioholic Intern
Just because something is obsolete or not as good doesnt mean someone wont try to make a couple bucks off of it...just look at Monster Cable......right?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Wrong. Monster Cable makes quality products, they're just overpriced and have bad ethics. And...how can cabling be obsolete? You kinda need it to connect your equipment.

Malakei

Malakei

Junior Audioholic
monster..

they do also make low end cable as well and wow... the prices of there low end stuff is disgusting, worse cables then the stuff you would buy at a dollar store and it definately doesnt cost you a buck.

Malakei

Malakei

Junior Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
What kind of differences are you implying here?
How do you know it is better solderless? If that was the case, solder would have been obsolete a long time ago? Or, never come to the marketplace in the first place?
I think that solderless is the easiest way for automated connections. Could you imagine a simpler way to connect a wire to a motherboard? Without making the motherboard bigger? Easiest is not always best. Some of the worst ways to do things last centuries.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Leprkon said:
solder is like Ben Gay.....use it where you need it, but don't put it where it hurts more than helps... ;)
If you are asserting that solder 'hurts' the connection, in this example, a speaker wire connection to a spade connector, then please explain precisely how this effects the electrical signal in any audible manner.

-Chris

B

bbakken82

Audioholic Intern
I know monster cable makes quality stuff. I've been forced to sell it for the past 5 years. I know cables dont get obsolete, I was being facetious. After being forced to sell monster cables and power for 5 years you can see how somebody might resent them.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
WmAx said:
If you are asserting that solder 'hurts' the connection, in this example, a speaker wire connection to a spade connector, then please explain precisely how this effects the electrical signal in any audible manner.

-Chris
well, ya just don't see any speaker wires MADE out of solder, now do ya ??? if it was that damn good, we wouldn't be needing copper at all....

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Leprkon said:
well, ya just don't see any speaker wires MADE out of solder, now do ya ??? if it was that damn good, we wouldn't be needing copper at all....
Ok, now your just making it up as you go along, or so it would seem. I'll not respond to you within this thread further, on this specific topic, unless you are able to start making sense.

-Chris

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Seriously Lep, it isn't going to make a difference. Considering that you use Solder on a junction after it has a secure mechanical connection, you're not going to be doing any harm. It's not like the wire stops and you drip some solder in there to fill in the space where the conductors aren't reaching to. Besides, used correctly, the amount of added resistance would be negligible. And don't you DARE say that it's going to add distortion. If you did, I'd find some way to slap you in the face through the internet. Yes, I will.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis