Software or App for HTPC - JRiver a bit frustrating

jp_over

jp_over

Full Audioholic
Friends,

I've been using JRiver (version 24 currently) for many years now but it's always been a bit frustrating to use. I'm not crazy about how the views are set up and change as one browses through albums, genres and other categories.

Is there anything better out there for an HTPC which holds about 3,700 songs? Years ago I ripped all of our music into FLAC and filed them pretty well with DB Power Amp so it's just a matter of finding a decent media player / browser.

Much appreciated,

Joe

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
have you looked into server/client software, like Roon/Minim/Plex?
I don't know about the first two, but Plex which I use mainly for video integrates nicely with PlexAmp for mobile devices, including support for CarPlay/Android Auto.

jp_over

jp_over

Full Audioholic
No but I'll check those out. Mainly I'm looking for an intuitive and well laid out user interface. I'll do some youtube searching for those apps to see what they're like.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I have been a Roon user for 3 years. Excellent interface and ability to stream simultaneously to many devices. It has been bulletproof in my house running 5 zones with a library of about 23,000 songs. The only negative is price. They have several models ranging from monthly to a lifetime subscription. It also integrates fully with Tidal and Qobuz.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I use Plex and it's great for a lot. Music isn't one of those things depending on the platform, but my complaints are app issues.

Roon has my attention, but I don't think I'd use it. I'd say it looks great and might be something to play around with later.

If it is music only, I'd look into Roon. If video is in the mix, the Plex is my recommendation.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I believe Roon offers a 14 day trial. Audirvana offers a 30 day trial and also works with Tidal and Qobuz.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You're talking about streaming music from your Windows PC to your AVR, right?

I just use my Yamaha AV Controller WiFi Remote App and stream all my music files from my Windows-10 PC to my Yamaha.

I don't have to turn on the TV or Projector. My PC can be in a closet at one end of the house and my Yamaha AVRs can be in 6 different rooms throughout the house.

If we're just talking about simply streaming music files from PC to AVR/AVP.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Friends,

I've been using JRiver (version 24 currently) for many years now but it's always been a bit frustrating to use. I'm not crazy about how the views are set up and change as one browses through albums, genres and other categories.

Is there anything better out there for an HTPC which holds about 3,700 songs? Years ago I ripped all of our music into FLAC and filed them pretty well with DB Power Amp so it's just a matter of finding a decent media player / browser.

Much appreciated,

Joe
Joe
I have been where you are and feel your frustration. No matter what app I have tried, there is some level of "I hate that" to it. 3,700 songs is a modest library so literally any of the packages can handle it.

My setup is driven by Apple hardware so I use iTunes without giving it much thought for music. But it doesn't stop there because I know someday I will hate Apple or Apple will hate me so along with everything in iTunes, a year or so ago I embarked on a project to put everything (movies, music, other stuff) in to Plex. That was an adventure but most of that adventure was driven by DB Power Amp and ripping to FLAC. You've already conquered that so if you got your naming convention in a format Plex likes, you are 90% of the way done already.

I maintain both an Apple file system and the FLAC system for Plex. Plex can be used on any device in the house, as can all my other devices use the iTunes/Apple TV interface. It sounds complex, but in practice its eazy peazy.
I keep it all on a Synology NAS device with backup copies everywhere and all the original CDs and DVDs and BluRays sitting in my gun safe. So it is unlikely, but not impossible, for a failure to kill my library of hard earned digital music.

Plex was recommended to me here on the AH. Its strength is NOT music, but movies. But, it has improved greatly for music and is actually gotten very stable. I can recommend it but you may find it a challenge to get going. JRiver has that kind of challenge too. I don't know of an app for this stuff that doesn't piss off somebody.

Being an Apple guy lots of people hate iTunes. I get that. Doesn't bother me. Doesn't change how well it works.
But, if you're not an Apple guy, there are better places to go. And I know someday I will part ways with Apple. Its just bound to happen. I'm ready with Plex

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree Plex can handle music, I know Alex is particular to my collection of Dire Straights :)
But it's not perfect. Unless all of your music is tagged in a specific way, Plex tends to make a hash out of it and it's an annoyingly manual process to fix it.
I personally haven't tried Roon, but music is what it built for, unlike Plex.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Mainly I'm looking for an intuitive and well laid out user interface.
Plex wasn't difficult to figure out how to use for just playback with an assortment of streaming devices and a computer.

I generally suck at that kind of stuff so you know it's plenty user friendly.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Plex wasn't difficult to figure out how to use for just playback with an assortment of streaming devices and a computer.

I generally suck at that kind of stuff so you know it's plenty user friendly.
Welcome back. Have been wondering where you were.

Z

zrxmike

Enthusiast
Have you thought about trying the current version of JRiver? The version you are currently using is 5 generations old. I have been using JRiver now for at least 5 years and IMO nothing is better if you take the time to learn how to use it.

jinjuku

jinjuku

What I've found is no solution is perfect. I've simply made up my mind that objectively JRiver does a ton and subjectively just learned their approach to flow. Using a tablet with JRemote. I have 4K albums it manages and with just a bit of organizational effort it works for me.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis