Socks in port for speakers near wall

R

RX-V2400

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>My Yamaha NS-777's stand back tight against the wall; this is a requirment for my wife not leaving. The acustic result is a very muddy and undefined middle and bottom. Blocking the bass reflex ports with socks and rags has helped somewhat and I was wondering if there are any other tricks I could try.</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>Whew! I hope the socks were clean! Otherwise she'll leave anyway! (or is that your devious plan...?) Not to mention the risk of your woofer cones rotting!

Try open cell foam rubber cut into plugs. Experiment with different densities from soft to fairly firm. I know that some ported subs actually come with foam plugs for the ports to alter their sound to one's taste/room.

Look for a foam supplier in your local Yellow Pages. We have a big one here in the Det. area that's open to the public. Maybe you do, too.</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>Up against the wall is not good for any speaker, and puting socks in the ports changes the whole tuning of the box. This usually causes more problems then it solves. I would measure the port length and diameter, seal it completely and install new ports in the front. Or get some small speakers and a sub, or a new wife
You can use PVC pipe or cardboard tubing, sprayed inside with flat black paint then add some nice decorative port covers available at places like here &nbsp;http://www.madisound.com/

Just kidding of course, I would never trade speakers for a wife, good speakers are just to hard to come by
</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>There's always &quot;stealth repositioning&quot;: move them away from the wall 1 inch a day...
</font>

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Yup, either that or find another wife.
</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>My speakers are ugly vandersteens. My wife loves the sound as doI but to get them far enough out from the wall puts them in a main pathway on the door to the garage. The compromise is to make unobtrusive marks on the floor for the front two spikes (they are on brass feet and teflon sliders due to hardwood floors) and I slide them out as needed. Harder to do if you have carpet but two subtle stains could do the trick.
Hopefully your speakers are smaller than mine.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis