So, what equipment should I get?

J

JBong

Audioholic Intern
Hi.

Since I'm a beginner in this subject, I'd like some advice from you guys on which would be the best setup for me :)

The room that will be used is the one described in the attached .jpg file.

What I'm after: Already have an Hitachi PD7200 plasma, and I'm looking to replace my old Panasonic home theater. I'll use the system only to watch movies (I see a lot of them) and to connect my PC to it and play some games. I'm looking for some speakers, subwoofer, A/V receiver and DVD player.

How much am I willing to spend: Maximum budget is 3000EUR/3600USD, but if possible I'd like to spend a lot less.

Things I think (!) I'd like to have: THX Select II A/V Receiver, 7.1 system (not sure), active subwoofer, HDMI, good surround sound, if possible, not to spread cable across the room.

Equipment I've checked as possibilities:
Speakers: Yamaha YSP-1000 sound projector (would it work as good or almost as good as a 5.1 or 7.1 system in my room?)
A/V Receivers: Yamaha RX-V1600, Yamaha RX-V2600, Yamaha RX-V4600 (more expensive!), Pioneer VSX-AX5I-S
Subwoofer: Just seen the ones from REL.
DVD Player: I saw one from Samsung for around 200USD with HDMI in one of what-to-buy/picks systems.

Your inputs are most welcomed!

Cheers.

Attachments

Snap

Snap

Audioholic
If you are going to get the YSp1 you will not need a HUGE receiver. The thing actually works. I did not believe it till I heard it. Now keep in mind it does not sound as good as a decent 5.1 Sat system. But for what it is designed for it works pretty darn good. Your room might be a little bit big for that system though. I will have to check Yamaha's website but I think that you might be too far back for it to work very well. But do not quote me on that right now. Just my gut feeling.

Can you get above your walls? Ie attic or a crawl space? The reason I ask is about retrofitting your speaker wires to install a standard surround sound sytem?

For DVD I would not recomend the Samsung. Check out the Panasonic S77. It had awesome reviews. Great little DVD player for 250 US. Does not do SACD but it does have HDMI, and upconverson. I have one and I think it is a great little DVD player.

J

JBong

Audioholic Intern
Snap said:
Can you get above your walls? Ie attic or a crawl space? The reason I ask is about retrofitting your speaker wires to install a standard surround sound sytem? QUOTE]

Hi Snap.

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I probably could do it, although I have somewhat a problem with that (I hate having cable at sight, and to break the walls to pass the wires beneath is a last resort). One possibility would eventually be to have some speaker stands, but not sure how I'd do that if I'd go for a 7.1 full speaker set :)

Snap

Snap

Audioholic
JBong said:
Snap said:
Can you get above your walls? Ie attic or a crawl space? The reason I ask is about retrofitting your speaker wires to install a standard surround sound sytem? QUOTE]

Hi Snap.

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I probably could do it, although I have somewhat a problem with that (I hate having cable at sight, and to break the walls to pass the wires beneath is a last resort). One possibility would eventually be to have some speaker stands, but not sure how I'd do that if I'd go for a 7.1 full speaker set :)
Yeah that is why I was asking about the walls. You run your wires from the back of the receiver, into the wall, up into the attic, and then down the side and back walls. Terminated at the wall either with wall plate or directly to the speakers. And wam...no wires showing. Well lunch is over....got to run.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis