So, it finally happened...had a friend ask me to recommend a $1500 system.....

FozzieT

FozzieT

Enthusiast
....He has a 17x17 rec room that his teenage kids hang out in. He wants to turn it into a home theater. He already has a flatscreen TV and DVD player. Also a Roku box. He just wants a 5.1 or 7.1 receiver and a set of speakers. He is partial to two tower speakers for front L/R, a center channel, wall-mounted rear channels, and a sub. The front towers would be about 1' out from the wall, next to bookshelves.

He only wants to spend $1500, and he would not want to buy used. Nor would he want to wait months for delivery from a small-production company.

For the processing/amplification I think a mid-level receiver, like the Sony STR-DN1040 or Yamaha RX-V473.

Both are about $500.

For the Speaker package, I think either sealed box or front ported because the fronts will be so close to the wall. These are the only ones I could come up with in his parameters:

1) Pioneer Andrew Jones designed system. It gets fantastic reviewes. $549 for the package on Pioneer's website. Spend another $100 on cables and voila, nice budget system! Spend the other $350 on taking the missus out for a nice night on the town....

2) Aperion Audio Intimus 4T system. $1,500 - so it blows his budget. And does it sound $1,000 better than the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers???

Anyone able to do better? Please post!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
" I'm slightly mad" ?
We all like AJ's Pio speakers, especially the bookshelves. I know you said your buddy is not a patient men, still it will be worth to get the modded version since improvements are huge. Philharmonic Audio - Call Dennis and ask for lead times before ordering. Last I heard they were very small.
Get a Center, 4x bookshelves and HSU sub... (model depends on room size)
AVR wise - I prefer Denon, Marantz or Onkyo

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
IMO, get best of both worlds, the Philharmonic Affordable Accuracy LCR linked by BSA, plus regular Pioneer BS22 linked by ADTG for surrounds.

I'd pick the Denon X1000 for $449 from Amazon.

That leaves just enough to get the SV Sound PB2000, http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb-2000

Don't spend more than $100 on cables and speaker wire. Look at Monoprice.com for good quality yet inexpensive cables.

FozzieT

FozzieT

Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestions! It looks like Philharmonic is sold out of the Affordable Accuracy monitors, which are scheduled to be replaced by towers. Interesting that they look a lot like the AJ Pioneers!

I also thought about recommending Emotiva's new receiver, but A) it's new and we don't know yet if it will be "buggy", and B) I don't think it has Airplay, which he would like.

I like the Denon suggestion as well. Thanks!

I think he and I are going to head out tomorrow afternoon for a little listening session. There's a high-end dealer nearby that carries Linn, Wilson, Meridian, Sonus Faber, and Maggie's. Maybe we listen to some of those to let him hear some excellent systems, then go over to the low-rent district (Best Buy) and demo the Pioneers.

Totally unscientific but I wonder how well the Pioneers will do...should be fun at any rate!

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
well your dealer nearby carries a lot that will not be in your price range......

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the suggestions! It looks like Philharmonic is sold out of the Affordable Accuracy monitors, which are scheduled to be replaced by towers. Interesting that they look a lot like the AJ Pioneers!

I also thought about recommending Emotiva's new receiver, but A) it's new and we don't know yet if it will be "buggy", and B) I don't think it has Airplay, which he would like.

I like the Denon suggestion as well. Thanks!

I think he and I are going to head out tomorrow afternoon for a little listening session. There's a high-end dealer nearby that carries Linn, Wilson, Meridian, Sonus Faber, and Maggie's. Maybe we listen to some of those to let him hear some excellent systems, then go over to the low-rent district (Best Buy) and demo the Pioneers.

Totally unscientific but I wonder how well the Pioneers will do...should be fun at any rate!
There is good reason why AA speaker look exactly like AJ's Pioneers - since Dennis modifying Pioneers. The internet changes are pretty drastic to re-brand them.

I would not spend money on emotiva's equipment at this budget

FozzieT

FozzieT

Enthusiast
Yeah, it's well out of his price range, but it will be fun to listen to nonetheless!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis