SO I set up my friend's B0ze system...

<font color='#000000'>This is a $3000 system (plus additional for the speaker mounts) and I have everything finally hooked up for him... the proprietary 24 guage connectors clipped so that the system can be removed later I ran 12 guage through the ceiling and walls), custom connectors on his wall so the next home owner can install a REAL system, etc...

We get everything hooked up - and the sterotypical B0ze owner response is heard (as if I had hoped for anything else):

&quot;Wow! There's stuff flying all around... I can hear those [Braveheart] arrows flying over my head! Oh man, music is coming from behind me!&quot;

You see, quality is not even an issue...

I love him to death, but why didn't my friend go out and buy a $600 all in one system and save $2400? He would never even know the difference. In fact, he probably would have gotten better components... You can't even take off the covers of these little micro booze speakers- they have them glued on so you can't see the miracle 1&quot; paper cone and 0.5oz magnet.

And yes, I did my best to persuade him to get a real system, but he had his heart set on B0ze. And I won't argue with anyone who has their heart set on a name brand. It's their right to spend their hard-earned money...

Just had to vent.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>I can well relate to this.

Many a times friends and acquintances would drop in and ask of the wattage of my system. Then with a bewildered astonsihment they would comment...........Only 300 watts at 8 Ohms, my brother recently bought a major name plasticky, tacky, 'Tokyo By Night' system which has 8000 watts PMPO. What an awesome bass, it even features a built in equalizer.
The next question would be, Why did you pay so much for all this when the comps system would have kicked this system's ass.

Boss is like an Urban Legend with people and you should see their expression when you contradict them.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Yes booze does suck. But I would rather have them than any metal dome tweeter speaker any day. Ever listen to music for a prolongued period or even a short period with the volume up high on a metal dome system? It is hideous. &nbsp;I used to own paradigm monitor 9's , not to knock paradigm they are a decent canadian manufacturer, but man did those things ever sound like ringing sheet metal . &nbsp;People are drawn in by the forwardenss of the metal dome, but the distortion and unatural characteristic of a metal dome is too much of a draw back. I can't stand metal domes!</font>

<font color='#008080'>So you prefer a $5 OEM 1&quot; paper tweeter?

I think you need to perhaps try out some additional speakers. If they are still as fatiguing as you say, then perhaps take a look at your room dynamics and make some adjustments. It is very likely that you are in a highly reflective room.

Either that or your ears may be such that you do not like to hear clearer high frequency material.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Guest : <font color='#000000'>Yes booze does suck. But I would rather have them than any metal dome tweeter speaker any day. Ever listen to music for a prolongued period or even a short period with the volume up high on a metal dome system? It is hideous. &nbsp;I used to own paradigm monitor 9's , not to knock paradigm they are a decent canadian manufacturer, but man did those things ever sound like ringing sheet metal . &nbsp;People are drawn in by the forwardenss of the metal dome, but the distortion and unatural characteristic of a metal dome is too much of a draw back. I can't stand metal domes!</font>
<font color='#0000FF'>Improperly designed metal tweeters can be a pain for prolonged listening but the ones on Paradigm are quite sweet and sound almost as mellow as the ones on my Yamaha NS-300 which are silk. For smoothness nothing beats silk although Yamaha NS-1000 berrilyum is unsurpassed when it comes to the purity of sound anf the flatness of response.</font>

K

KLH

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I have experimented with placement of the speakers in every room in the house. &nbsp;I have used blankets as dampening around the walls. &nbsp;A freind of mine owned paradigm studio 20's and he had lined his room with egg cartons to break up and soften the blow of the high frequencies. He eventually came to the conclusion that metal domes are discordant to the ear and sold his speakers for a pair of vintage KLH model fives. &nbsp;I have also owned JM lab electra 915's and was very uneasy with the ear ripping sensation and extremely aggressive sound when playing the speakers at moderately loud volumes. &nbsp;I came to the conclusion that metal domes are deceiving in that they are very forward and revealing, but they are actually very distorted and over emphasizing of micro details. &nbsp;I was very impressed with the new sounds that I could hear on my paradigms and then my JM labs, but the truth is I can still hear everything on a paper cone tweeter, it's just balanced across the spectrum so it does'nt stand out uncomfortably. Please comment with any suggestions as to flaws in my reasoning.
thanks
Jason Magela &nbsp; &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>We had someone over to demo our livingroom system which compiles of;
Hitachi 43in 16:9 RPTV HDTV
JVC DVD Player (going bad)
JVC SVHS ET VCR
Sony STR-DE845 Receiver
Polk RT1000i's
Polk CS245i
JBL PB12
and Radioshack Inwalls w/ Linaem Tweeter
all connections are Monster Cable

I asked what he wanted to spend and for some reason he said &quot;wow this great what was this like $300!&quot;
HA!
Then he tells me how want's to put together a systemin his home, so I tell buy piece by piece that way you would have a much high quality system (not HTIB from Junk-O-Land)
so he keeps on insist on the HTIB, but expects the same results as our system.

My point is I can believe how little delayed gratification there is today. &nbsp;Plus the fact that people thirst after crappy products soley due to the fact they have low prices.

I use to work for Best Buy and I could'nt stand people, especially w/ booze!
I would demo the JBL room and the first thing that the wife would say is whats wrong w/ those cute little booze speakers, and I would explain and they either said we are gonna price elswhere or they would say some dumb@$$ remark like &quot;well I never heard of JBL before&quot; I would reply &quot;booze is great and fantastic sounding to the ignorant!&quot; I absolutley refuse to sell booze. &nbsp;U know what else a booze rep came in and told yeah I can get a pair these blah blah blah for cheap if you sell blah blah amount. &nbsp;considering that at least the rest of the employees agreed w/ my views and we sold absolutly no booze speakers that weekend. &nbsp;as soon as he got done demo the people came to use and we showed the JBL Studio and Northrideg speakers and what the y sound like w/ similar material.

Well lets just say we sold more JBL speaker than we had, we ended up tapping into another stores stock! LOL</font>

S

SinCityDave

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Agree with all the comments about Blows. &nbsp;My Brother in law has pretty good components: &nbsp;Yamaha receiver, Denon DVD with progressive scan, Sony SACD player, a BIG Mits 73&quot; HDTV (its overkill really), but then matches all this stuff up with a booze system. &nbsp;I tried to talk him out of it. &nbsp;I mentioned the paper cones, the fact that there is no woofer or tweeter just a cheap/poor midrange, no true center channel speaker, etc. &nbsp;He wouldn't listen (not hard to believe from a person that apparently has wooden ears). &nbsp;He was concerned about my comment on no true center channel speaker, and went out and bought a Blows center channel. &nbsp;Hard to believe, but it actually sounds worse than the little satellite thing the system came with.

I can't decide what is the bigger joke - the Blows speakers or the &quot;bass module&quot; that they try to pass off as a subwoofer. &nbsp;I've heard relatively cheap best buy* type subs that put out more bass than that thing.

*No offense intended toward best buy. &nbsp;They serve their purpose, but there stuff is (hopefully admittedly) at the entry end of the audio equipment.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
SinCityDave : <font color='#000000'>Agree with all the comments about Blows.  My Brother in law has pretty good components:  Yamaha receiver, Denon DVD with progressive scan, Sony SACD player, a BIG Mits 73&quot; HDTV (its overkill really), but then matches all this stuff up with a booze system.  </font>
<font color='#0000FF'>Pity he matches the Yamaha receiver to the booze speakers. He will never realize the full potential of it.

The worse booze offence I ever saw was in my aunt's house who was a physician. Some slick guy in a B'Lyn NY audio shop convinced her to go for booze 901-series IV with her superb Tandberg amp.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>I had to laugh when I saw the B(l)ose thread! &nbsp;I have a buddy that had a pair of B(l)ose 901's with the eq box; he'd had them for a long time and was looking to get a new pair of the most updated 901's. &nbsp;Well, after much good natured razzing from me and boasts about how great B(l)ose was from him, he agreed to stop by and listen to my system.

I cued up a Rush CD (his favorite band) and cranked up &quot;Roll The Bones&quot; thru my Monitor Audio Silver 7i's and pair of Hsu Research TN 1220 subs; you could have knocked him over with a feather! &nbsp;He was stunned speechless at how my Silvers creamed his crappy B(l)ose. &nbsp;I told him there were a lot of advances in technology since he bought his, and that now them thar wizards at MA figured how to seperate the bass and treble regions and route each to a specialized driver made to reproduce just that range! &nbsp;I told him the little gold ones are called &quot;tweeters&quot; and he was amazed!
&nbsp; Seriously, he did purchase a pair of Silver 7i's the next week. &nbsp;The B(l)ose are currently in his garage serving as workshop speakers.

BTW, I get a kick out of the guy saying metal tweeters suck because he didn't like his crappy Paradigms! &nbsp;That's like taking a guy who's never had to steak to a truck stop; I imagine his opinion of filet mignon might be pretty low after that! &nbsp;&quot;Is this what all the fuss is about? &nbsp;Steak tastes like crap!&quot; he'll say!
</font>

N

Nad Fan

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Did booze ever produce good speakers? &nbsp;I seem to remember a pair that sounded great in 1977. &nbsp;I guess back then the crap you see at Best Buy might have sounded ok then. &nbsp;T

There &nbsp;is one BIGGER ripoff than booze. &nbsp;I had a friend of mine that came running up to me (because he knows I am a musician and know a lot about sound) excited about this really expensive pair oof speakers he got for dirt cheap out of the back of this white van that pulled him over in traffic. &nbsp;i explained to him that he had just been ripped off. &nbsp;The poor guy spent $600 on these things. &nbsp;They were HUGE. &nbsp;he was soo crushed he asked me if i would have any use for them. &nbsp;I ended up taking them home. &nbsp;I thought I might use them for stage monitors or something. &nbsp;They ended up in a shed for two years. &nbsp;I moved out of that appartment a few years back when i got married and bought a house. &nbsp;During the move i wanted to through out all unnecessary junk and promptly took those thing out &nbsp;to the dumpster. &nbsp;i decided to have a little fun and smashed one on the pavement to see what was inside. &nbsp;The speaker broke completely appart on impact. &nbsp;The particle board (and I mean cheap particle board) was fastened together by heavy duty staples! &nbsp;The spakers were of the &nbsp;paper &quot;transistor radio&quot; &nbsp;type. &nbsp;the woofer was paper and had a magnet the size and weight of &nbsp;a small plastic coaster. &nbsp;No manufactures name just the words &quot;Made in Tiawan&quot;. &nbsp;The wiring inside was of the cheapest quality you can ever imagine. &nbsp;

So everytime you see someone puchasing a Blows speaker system, just remember they have a tin ear and would not benefit from buying a quality speaker set up and that there are worse speakers out there they could have bought!</font>

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Heh, I thought I was the only one that had to deal with this horror...

Barely talked my dad out of buying some 901s last summer.  
Had to drag him to a speaker repair shop to show him the innards on one, and then show him a 3 1/2 car speaker that costs $5 brand new from GM for comparison...and sadly the GM speaker was of very similar build....better sound through car-pillaging?

Either way, that fortunately turned him away from those sad excuses for audio, almost got him to buy some Paradigms, but for some odd reason the price turned him off...I personally think he didn't like the looks of them, and didn't wnat me to think he's all worried aobut aesthetics now.

Instead he got some old Sony ES speakers (mid-90s maybe?) from a garage sale of all places, some weird shaped things, but they do sound very nice, and the whole setup was far cheaper then those 901's. Only bad part was moving these monstrous things for him, I think my back is plotting to kill me now.  

Here's a link to a pair that I think may be the ones he bought.
http://www.satellitetheater.com/SS-M7.htm

--Edit: yep, those were the ones...in all their weighty glory.
Beautiful and good sounding speakers, just puts a new meaning to calling speaker positioning a workout &nbsp;
&nbsp;--</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis