Snake oil companies are out of their minds

V

viorelc

Audioholic Intern
Everyone’s different when it comes to what’s important. Also, cost is relative to the wallet. Some pay for magic cables, others for fancy cars or expensive jewelry. Happy about the purchase? Great. Not so much? Learning opportunities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
It's velocity of propagation is only 86%. I don't want it! It's not good enough! :eek:
I noticed that too. Man, that is odd, and tells you a lot right there. The units of "velocity" most certainly are NOT in units of "%".

I'm assuming that must be 86% of the speed of light, LOL.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I noticed that too. Man, that is odd, and tells you a lot right there. The units of "velocity" most certainly are NOT in units of "%".

I'm assuming that must be 86% of the speed of light, LOL.
Had to look the definition up when I saw that, indeed what it means. Wonder how they determined the 86%.....

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just read about a product from AudioQuest, set of 4 HDMI Noise-Stopper Caps! They slip over your unused HDMI inputs or outputs to eliminate noise in your system! Only $29.95.

Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 4.55.24 PM.png

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
Just read about a product from AudioQuest, set of 4 HDMI Noise-Stopper Caps! They slip over your unused HDMI inputs or outputs to eliminate noise in your system! Only $29.95.

View attachment 50707
Oh good! You know lately I’ve found myself with just far too much of a surplus of cash and have been looking for a way to get rid of it without having to spend it on anything that really serves a purpose!!

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
I am on my way to audioguest store as we speak. Build Back better snake oils.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Had to look the definition up when I saw that, indeed what it means. Wonder how they determined the 86%.....
Well, for what it's worth, propagation in terms of electricity refers to signal waves, so it would be a measure of the velocity of the electromagnetic waves, which can be 50-99% the speed of light. The electrons themselves move much more slowly. (Thank you Wiki.)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, for what it's worth, propagation in terms of electricity refers to signal waves, so it would be a measure of the velocity of the electromagnetic waves, which can be 50-99% the speed of light. The electrons themselves move much more slowly. (Thank you Wiki.)
I meant more how a cable charlatan like that actually performed their own measurement :)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I meant more how a cable charlatan like that actually performed their own measurement :)
I doubt they even have the equipment to make a proper measurement but I bet the math shows that a $3 cable also has a velocity of propagation of 86%. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I doubt they even have the equipment to make a proper measurement but I bet the math shows that a $3 cable also has a velocity of propagation of 86%. :)
My general understanding is it varies, from 50-70% range of speed of light in general terms.....

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
My general understanding is it varies, from 50-70% range of speed of light in general terms.....
They have the math formulas on Wiki but at 10pm on a Saturday that's not something I want to get into. I'm leaning more towards a glass of whiskey right now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They have the math formulas on Wiki but at 10pm on a Saturday that's not something I want to get into. I'm leaning more towards a glass of whiskey right now.
Exactly what I did :) Got some Offerman Lagavulin I haven't made my mind up about....but its only 7pm now here :)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
More money than brains is the reason these sell and on the seller side, no sense of shame.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Here is a ground cable you need for your turntable, a good length of ordinary wire just won't do.

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 8.24.36 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 8.25.02 AM.png

marticus

marticus

Audioholic
Good lord, everytime I see a topic like this, I know I shouldn't look because it will just infuriate me.

But here we are and it still pisses me right off.

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
And yet the recordings people spend megabucks cables listening to are recorded, mixed, and mastered with pro-audio cable like Canare L-4E6S that costs $0.59/ft on pro-audio sites like Markertek.

If you don't want to terminate yourself, I've found an Australian-Singaporean company on Amazon, Worlds Best Cables, that sells 3-ft Amphenol-terminated pairs of Canare L-4E6S RCAs for $26. The terminations are solid.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis