Smartphone as your HT Remote

itschris

itschris

Have you guys seen this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeRIX7czZE0

It's supposed to be for Android, but they're using an Iphone. Either way, it's essentially a Harmony remote on your SmartPhone.

Ideal in my book. I have not been able to find a whole lot of info though.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Have you guys seen this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeRIX7czZE0

It's supposed to be for Android, but they're using an Iphone. Either way, it's essentially a Harmony remote on your SmartPhone.

Ideal in my book. I have not been able to find a whole lot of info though.
"Nice. Nice. Not thrilling, but nice"
It would require Logitech Google TV appliance, as it'll be doing wifi to IR repeater.... which is kinda possible deal breaker for me - as in why do I need google TV then I have boxee? :confused:

itschris

itschris

Are there other Android options? What the hell? It should be simple... no?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There are about a dozen different IR repeaters and systems available for iPhone out there. The problem is that they aren't Logitech easy, and most are pretty silly. That is, when you get the really small buttons, it's not always easy to use as a remote, and then you still have to properly program all the logic behind it to make it work.

That said, I use mine within a Crestron environment, and I get full control of my 14 zone system from my iPod within my home with no problem. It shows me what is playing where, and then gives me remote control of the current device in the room with two way feedback, like the current XM station and song playing, or lets me know if the TV is on in the kids playroom.

It's all IP based, so as long as I'm at home under our wi-fi umbrella, I have control. Still, I much prefer my (Crestron) hard button remotes over the iPod for control any day of the week.

itschris

itschris

I don't have Iphone, I have an HTC EVO (android). To me, these phones seem capable of doing everything else... hell my EVO has guitar tuner. Why can't it be a romote that's easy to use. It's got the screen, the touch and scroll capabilities. Seems there would be a bigger marketk.

K

k_lewis

Junior Audioholic
Cool stuff for the average joe consumer- I think the harmony remote itself is a much more usable unit, you get the touch activity buttons plus hard buttons. Kind of a necessity to have hard buttons for repetitive stuff like 30 sec channel skip etc without having to look at the remote. Certainly no comparison to Crestron, but that is IMHO aimed at a different market of AV users (like us wackos here... :D)

One constant downside of using an ipod / iphone / android as a remote is the battery life. I have several touch ipods laying around and have messed with using them as dedicated remotes for my kitchen AV system (as featured here on HP's TouchSmart Dev site: http://www.touchsmartdevzone.com/article/3177/Guide-Using-the-HP-TouchSmart-PC-as-an-Automated-Audio-System-Controller/, but you pretty much have to leave it charging all the time. I am presently using a Universal Remote MX850 for the kitchen.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Certainly no comparison to Crestron, but that is IMHO aimed at a different market of AV users (like us wackos here... :D)
I am presently using a Universal Remote MX850 for the kitchen.
Interesting note: I can pick up a Crestron control system with RF receiving built in for under $200 via eBay, and use it directly with the MX850 and have it programmed in just a few hours in most installations. So, for the same price as the MX850 and a RF base station and custom programming, I typically deliver a full blown Crestron system.

I can't tell you just how much my clients love it, but they usually call it one of the best aspects of the entire installation.

S

SocyFisher

Enthusiast
Once the price drops I'll get the smart phone system. I am wondering how far people can take these apps, i mean what will there full potential be. HTC is working like magic.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis