Smart TV vs External Streaming devises ?

Bob Leonard

Bob Leonard

Junior Audioholic
What source would provide the best video. The apps built in on a smart TV or a external device such as an Apple or Roku streaming devices.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Doubt there's any particular difference in picture quality, external offers generally better choice in apps, audio and updates.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
What source would provide the best video. The apps built in on a smart TV or a external device such as an Apple or Roku streaming devices.
We're a 100% streaming video household now...I have 2 Sony 4k smart TVs and the other 2 Samsung non-smart TVs...the kitchen TV streams via Roku Streaming Stick +, and the other the Roku Ultra...I can't say for sure on video quality as I have not tried the Roku units on the smart TVs, but I'm going to say not much difference in video quality.

I will say is viewing the same app, (the Roku stream devices) seem to be more stable. Not often, but if I drop a signal or any lag issues...it tends to be more so with the smart TVs.

That said...I don't feel the need to outfit the smart TVs with an external streaming device.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I prefer an external device. Normally the interfaces are faster/better and updated more often. They also tend to have better and faster connectivity options on the larger devices and ability to expand memory on some.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
My TV has the Roku interface built in and it is very fast and easy to navigate. My other TV, a Sony, has an interface that is rather slow and it takes a few moments to boot up, even though it has a direct LAN connection to the router (my Roku TV is wireless). I do have a Roku stick and a Fire TV stick, but I have not bothered to connect them, but I might because I like the Roku GUI.

Bob Leonard

Bob Leonard

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for everybody’s insight on this topic. I was somehow under the impression that the video signal would degrade passing thru the HDMI cable vs not having to.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for everybody’s insight on this topic. I was somehow under the impression that the video signal would degrade passing thru the HDMI cable vs not having to.
STBs offer full audio options like atmos etc. Most have better processors and serve as a front end for streaming from your home computer for audio and video. Hardwired is more stable than wifi. The nvidia sheild is very powerful and worth the money.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
HDMI is only digital. Trust me, your video travels on paths/connections VASTLY inferior to HDMI before reaching your home. It's about the same as worrying about hi-end power cords.
I prefer external devices as well as they are much cheaper to upgrade (and do receive upgrade much more often) and much more versatile.
Above mentioned Nvidia Shield TV is most powerful of the bunch and by far. That should help with futureproofing.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The issue with built in smart capabilities is that they go out of date never to be updated in way too many instances. Samsung is particularly bad about this.

With an external box, you can get it updated as long as it is supported and replace it once it's no longer supported. I for one am not about to get rid of my Panasonic VT60 because it's streaming apps are garbage. The Shield TV I have hooked up to it is 1000x better anyway.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
The issue with built in smart capabilities is that they go out of date never to be updated in way too many instances. Samsung is particularly bad about this.

With an external box, you can get it updated as long as it is supported and replace it once it's no longer supported. I for one am not about to get rid of my Panasonic VT60 because it's streaming apps are garbage. The Shield TV I have hooked up to it is 1000x better anyway.
I haven't always taken the update, but my TV generally wants to be updated about once every year or so...not sure if apps are updated at the same time.

I kinda view this like built-in GPS in my car vs my phone...the phone is more up to date and easier than the GPS in the car.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Most TVs will only output stereo back to the AVR regardless of what setting you use in the App. TVs can have the ability to convert to some other format such as PCM or DTS, but it is not native to the original signal.

Some of the apps I've seen update as often as once a month too. Not so much Netflix, but I've seen the Prime app have lots of updates.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I would opt, if there's still room for a decision, for the external streamer as well. Case in point: I bought a brand new Vizio 50" 4K TV that advertised lots of apps and the ability to add more apps if the ones you want aren't pre-installed. That actually turns out to be quite misleading since the ability to "add apps" is limited to ONLY the list of apps that ships with the TV. And in my case Vizio has never supported putting Sling TV on most of their TV's and that's the app I want to add. Screwed by the "smart TV" that aint so smart.

It wasn't a real loss because I have ROKU boxes in the house which have worked quite nicely. I chose in this case to put in the newest version Apple TV. I made that decision, despite the cost, because I have an entire Apple ecosystem here and it gave me a function I couldn't get with the ROKU. If you aren't hip deep in Apple stuff, you'll be better served with a ROKU, or Nvidia, or any of the plethora of little streaming boxes.

The TV is the least flexible place to get your apps. But, if what you want is already there, it really won't hurt you much. I have one TV with all the apps pre-installed and it gets by OK.

one more time

one more time

Junior Audioholic
I've got a Vizio smart TV, plugged in via ARC, to a Mrantz AVR' monitor input and a Roku 4k stick plugged into that same AVR via an HDMI input. Both pass 4k and a 5.1 audio signal to the AVR. I cannot say how the Roku would act plugged into the TV;s HDMI port but it works great in this implementation. So do the apps on the smart TV.

I cannot add apps to the smart TV but can find an unbelievable number of apps available for the Roku. As a bonus, I do find the Roku has a better GUI and the vast number of apps available make it the clear winner in my book. PQ (including 4k) and sound on the Roku is first rate.

T

tculverjames

Audiophyte
I would opt, if there's still room for a decision, for the external streamer as well. Case in point: I bought a brand new Vizio 50" 4K TV that advertised lots of apps and the ability to add more apps if the ones you want aren't pre-installed. That actually turns out to be quite misleading since the ability to "add apps" is limited to ONLY the list of apps that ships with the TV. And in my case Vizio has never supported putting Sling TV on most of their TV's and that's the app I want to add. Screwed by the "smart TV" that aint so smart.

It wasn't a real loss because I have ROKU boxes in the house which have worked quite nicely. I chose in this case to put in the newest version Apple TV. I made that decision, despite the cost, because I have an entire Apple ecosystem here and it gave me a function I couldn't get with the ROKU. If you aren't hip deep in Apple stuff, you'll be better served with a ROKU click here, or Nvidia, or any of the plethora of little streaming boxes.

The TV is the least flexible place to get your apps. But, if what you want is already there, it really won't hurt you much. I have one TV with all the apps pre-installed and it gets by OK.
I'm getting ready to finally take the 4K plunge and will be looking for a new TV, AVR, and UHD player. So far I'm looking hard at the LG C9, Denon X3500H, and Sony UBP X700 respectively, and will try to find deals on them on Black Friday. Was also thinking about an AppleTV4K as my primary streamer but then.... why? Sorry if this is a stupid question, seemed like one yesterday but the more I think about it.... if you have a smart TV that has all the apps built in and eARC capability that can send all the advanced audio codecs downstream to your 4K receiver (like the LG C9) and also supports Dolby Vision & HDR10, what is the appeal of a dedicated streaming device like the ATV4K, Firestick, Roku, etc.? What do they give you that your smart TV doesn't? If your TV is "smart enough" to do everything they do, are they not redundant? What am I missing?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I'm getting ready to finally take the 4K plunge and will be looking for a new TV, AVR, and UHD player. So far I'm looking hard at the LG C9, Denon X3500H, and Sony UBP X700 respectively, and will try to find deals on them on Black Friday. Was also thinking about an AppleTV4K as my primary streamer but then.... why? Sorry if this is a stupid question, seemed like one yesterday but the more I think about it.... if you have a smart TV that has all the apps built in and eARC capability that can send all the advanced audio codecs downstream to your 4K receiver (like the LG C9) and also supports Dolby Vision & HDR10, what is the appeal of a dedicated streaming device like the ATV4K, Firestick, Roku, etc.? What do they give you that your smart TV doesn't? If your TV is "smart enough" to do everything they do, are they not redundant? What am I missing?
GREAT QUESTION.
For some, the redundancy is too much, and they will default to just the Smart TV and its list of apps. They don't see a need and don't want to spend the extra shekels. I get that. It is a legitimate approach to go Smart TV only.

For me, my experience with not being able to add the streaming apps to my TV because they weren't on some pre-approved list was enough to put me off depending on the TV as the sole provider for the apps. I also did some experimenting with the image quality between what the TV was doing by itself, and the images coming from either a ROKU or my Apple TV 4K. I thought the image quality was better and more consistent with the Apple TV 4K device than any other the other choices so i invested. YMMV and my experiment was anything but scientific.

Great question and it shows you are thinking about the right things as you plan your next step. The 4K plunge can be disappointing at times. I too had to invest in a new Denon AVR and a new TV. I had to do a new TV because my other one died, but that's a small point. 85inches is a wonderful thing in my Sony. I love my Apple TV 4K but understand completely why some would skip the external streamer.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I would rather watch paint dry than watch anything from streaming. (other than YouTube via SmartTube)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I've asked Google Bard this question:
Should I buy external streaming box like apple tv or rely on smart tv built-in functions?
This Is what I got:
Honestly it's mostly useless :)

Bottom line is I'd be very hesitant to connect a "smart" tv to internet since it is known that all of them send usage data back to manufacturers.

As far as quality, I'd tell you that if you play 720p or 1080p video on your new OLED TV, it's likely that Nvidia Shield TV with it's unique AI Upscale feature would provide best video quality.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis