Small Surround speaker recommendations

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Looking for 2 small good bedroom surround speakers that are under $200-300 per pair. Any recommendations?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Depending on how small you mean, the Boston Acoustics A23, A25, or A26 are good speakers that are currently "buy 1 get one 1/2 off". That would not be a super-great deal, except is is after A4L's normal discount! So A25's end up at half MSRP at $150/pr.
I have not personally heard these, but @zieglj01 recommends them and I have read enough of his comments on speakers that I do know to trust his opinion.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/spkbookshelf/speakers/bookshelf-speakers/1.html?brand=Boston Acoustics&brand_f[]=BOSTON ACOUSTICS

These speakers have a keyhole style mount on the back for hanging directly on the wall (hopefully, they also include some type of pads, but easy enough to add felt pads from HD if not). Assuming you are crossing them to a sub at 80Hz or higher (seems like 120 is the THX standard) the port on the back is effectively not used and should not be an issue, but I'd probably still be tempted to roll up a wash cloth or something to plug it!

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
What’s your idea of “small?” Woofer size would be a good indication.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
As recommended above -- the Boston A series -- and good prices

djembeman

djembeman

Enthusiast
I enjoy my Q Acoustics 3020s in my bedroom. They also have a smaller version.

V

Vacas

Audioholic Intern
well, if the OP has not selected any thing from above choices then i believe BOSE 101 could be another option in full range...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
A couple friends here have recommended the Airmotiv E1s... Not my style personally, but they said they perform well. On closeout for 168/pr. (FWIW) (Oh, and front ported too.)

Personally, I've been eyeing the Boston Acoustics A-26s from A4L to use in my Atmos rig. Still hoping to build my own AAs, but those look like a good buy. Rear ported, IIRC, is my only issue with them.

Are these going with your LS50s?

djembeman

djembeman

Enthusiast
Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
A couple friends here have recommended the Airmotiv E1s... Not my style personally, but they said they perform well. On closeout for 168/pr. (FWIW) (Oh, and front ported too.)

Personally, I've been eyeing the Boston Acoustics A-26s from A4L to use in my Atmos rig. Still hoping to build my own AAs, but those look like a good buy. Rear ported, IIRC, is my only issue with them.

Are these going with your LS50s?

Yes with LS50’s.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think AVS just had a positive review of the KLH Kendal towers... maybe check out their smaller offerings. As I understand there is a review pending there for a full HT rig, keep eyes posted, perhaps, but in the meantime, might be worth checking them out to see if any of their smaller offerings meet the value you are looking for. :)

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
I think AVS just had a positive review of the KLH Kendal towers... maybe check out their smaller offerings. As I understand there is a review pending there for a full HT rig, keep eyes posted, perhaps, but in the meantime, might be worth checking them out to see if any of their smaller offerings meet the value you are looking for. :)
They aren’t within budget. They are real wood veneers and the price reflects that with the smallest in their line coming up at $380.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@Russdawg1 Wasn’t certain, know they are less expensive than some, but am out in the world for the time being. :) thanks!

Btw, you’re round these parts of I remember correctly? You faring well with the rainfall? 12 into Sebastopol is completely flooded!

Last edited:
R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
@Russdawg1 Wasn’t certain, know they are less expensive than some, but am out in the world for the time being. :) thanks!

Btw, you’re round these parts of I remember correctly? You faring well with the rainfall? 12 into Sebastopol is completely flooded!
I heard of Sebastopol being underwater, didn’t know it was true? Might have to go kayaking or something! :p

But yes I’m up here in Larkfield. Old Redwood Hwy between Cardinal Newman and Fountain Grove is flooded but that’s about it.

Healdsburg I heard is in a lot of trouble. The Russian River is having a ball down there.

How’s your area doing?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis