Small subwoofer for wife - Choices?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Altho godforsaken covid thing just makes you sound loonier somewhat, but doesn't mean that use is for you or any of the rest of us....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have not really listened much to the Navis yet. But, a few Lisa Gerard tracks i sampled on it sounded phenomenal. Few years ago, i had a discussion with PS Audio's CEO at a show. He went into some level of technical detail on how the big line arrays (thought they're impractical for a regular house, understandably) may be the best suited for orchestra... I have never heard a line array and i'm no speaker designer. But, i've wondered about what he said. I guess he lets you audit the Infinity IRS speakers they have at their headquarters in Colorado (if anyone decides to stop by there).
I don't think line arrays, work well in the home. I used a line array system I designed from 1977 to 1984, But I was never truly happy with it. Even though it was in a fairly large basement, you could never get far enough away from it. On the other hand I have done line arrays for large halls a couple of times, and they were very successful.

The thing about bass is that it has to be balanced and non resonant to be realistic. Don't get me wrong, if the rest of the system is excellent, then gilding the lily with clean balanced bass to 20 Hz or so completes the system. Rough crude resonant bass I so often hear is a detriment. My system covers the last octave but it is balanced, and you don't really notice the bass extension of the system, until there is low bass and sub bass to be reproduced.

Jonathan Scott gave a fantastic symphonic organ Prom on August 29, from the mighty Willis Organ of the Royal Albert Hall. It is still up on iPlayer. The BBC announcer said her internal organs were vibrating. This system also made my internal organs vibrate, but the system was at a realistic volume, and even the gentle 32 ft stops cold be felt internally. However you do not have to have enormous subs to enjoy music. However if any of the spectrum from 80 Hz up is missing or badly reproduced, then the whole experience quickly becomes endurance and not pleasure.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
I don't think line arrays, work well in the home. I used a line array system I designed from 1977 to 1984, But I was never truly happy with it. Even though it was in a fairly large basement, you could never get far enough away from it. On the other hand I have done line arrays for large halls a couple of times, and they were very successful.

The thing about bass is that it has to be balanced and non resonant to be realistic. Don't get me wrong, if the rest of the system is excellent, then gilding the lily with clean balanced bass to 20 Hz or so completes the system. Rough crude resonant bass I so often hear is a detriment. My system covers the last octave but it is balanced, and you don't really notice the bass extension of the system, until there is low bass and sub bass to be reproduced.

Jonathan Scott gave a fantastic symphonic organ Prom on August 29, from the mighty Willis Organ of the Royal Albert Hall. It is still up on iPlayer. The BBC announcer said her internal organs were vibrating. This system also made my internal organs vibrate, but the system was at a realistic volume, and even the gentle 32 ft stops cold be felt internally. However you do not have to have enormous subs to enjoy music. However if any of the spectrum from 80 Hz up is missing or badly reproduced, then the whole experience quickly becomes endurance and not pleasure.
Understood, i think i should end my curiosity about line arrays! And I just realized my earlier comment about the 'rampant bassheadedness' i see was supposed to be a response to your earlier comment. But, it went to lovinthehd by accident and appears to have got him a tad triggered...lol

Have you ever integrated subs with Magnepans? Is it a lost cause? I am starting to realize that magnepans are not the speakers for me (bought into the hype train last year, facepalm).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Understood, i think i should end my curiosity about line arrays! And I just realized my earlier comment about the 'rampant bassheadedness' i see was supposed to be a response to your earlier comment. But, it went to lovinthehd by accident and appears to have got him a tad triggered...lol

Have you ever integrated subs with Magnepans? Is it a lost cause? I am starting to realize that magnepans are not the speakers for me (bought into the hype train last year, facepalm).
I think Magnepans are a long way from the worst speaker in the world. The problem with panel speakers, other than the Quad ESLs is that they beam, and you have the sweet spot problem.

As far as subs, you need dipole subs which you have. You need two and have to use the subs as a stand, or place the subs right next to the speakers.

I think those GR research subs have too high a Qts for planar speakers.

I think a good sub could be designed and integrated with the Magnepans. I would use four Dayton Ultimax 12" drivers, two per side. I wold place them side by side in an open backed cabinet. I would cross at 60 Hz, and add 6db per octave boost below crossover, with a 12db per octave high pass filter at 25 Hz. I think that would integrate well. I think there probably is a plate amp out there with DSP that would do the boost and high pass filtering, without going custom.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis