Small Sub Hunting...

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
I'm doing some research on a subwoofer for a secondary music/HT setup in a small to medium sized room. It will be predominantly used for music (70% music/30% HT), so driver size and deep extension is not the most important, however my limitations are unit size (at least depth or width must be 14" or less and hight must be 18" or less. I'd also like to keep the price reasonably low (who wouldn't? :)).

With a requirement of a frequency response of 30Hz or lower, I've compiled a short list of contenders (prices are approx. and shipped), priced low to high:

Athena Audition AS-P4000
Amp: 100w
FR: 23-120Hz +/-3dB
Dimensions: 18" x 11-1/2" x 18" (HxWxD)
Price: $170 shipped
more info here

AV123 x-sub
Amp: 150w
FR: 28Hz - 150Hz +/- 3dB
Dimensions: 17 3/4" x 9" x 12 7/8" (HxWxD)
Price: $240 shipped
more info here

Outlaw LFM-2
Amp: 150w
FR: 28Hz. -180Hz. +/- 2dB
Dimensions: 17" x 11.25" x 16.5" (HxWxD)
Price: $350 shipped
more info here

Cambridge Soundworks P200
Amp: 200w
FR: 25 - 200Hz +/- 3dB
Dimensions: 13 3/4" x 12" x 13 1/2" (HxWxD)
Price: $355 shipped
more info here

Dayton Titanic 10" MKIII Kit
Amp: 250w
FR: 30Hz - ?
Dimensions: 14" x 14" x 14-1/4" (HxWxD)
Price: $358 shipped
more info here (copy & paste, link not complete):
more info here

Rocket ULW-10
Amp: 350w
FR: 26Hz - 150Hz +/- 3dB
Dimensions: 13.00" x 2.25" x 11.75" (HxWxD)
Price: $440 shipped
more info here

Any comments on these? Other suggestions or contendas? As much as I'd like to hear all of these before purchasing, I don't consider subs to be as subjective as speakers. Either it puts out solid, tight bass or it's sloppy. Let me know whatcha think... -TD

Last edited:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I can't give an honest answer, but on paper, the Rocket wins.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
zumbo said:
I can't give an honest answer, but on paper, the Rocket wins.
I agree, but condsidering it's also the most expensive, I guess I'd have to say what would be the best value?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Best value would be the Athena, though then you end up with the least power as well. Can't get everything :)

What about the HSU STF-1?

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
j_garcia said:
Best value would be the Athena, though then you end up with the least power as well. Can't get everything :)

What about the HSU STF-1?
Damn, I knew I'd forget one... :)

I most likely did b/c they're out of stock so I wrote it off, but that definitely warrants serious consideration. Although their specs state it's FR is 32Hz +/- 2Hz, I can't imagine in-room response would be any worse than some of the others close to the 30Hz mark. I'll have to add that to the list later.

The power really isn't a huge concern, it's a pretty "live" room and currently with an 8", 50w CSW sub that's supposedly good down to 39Hz, it's pretty active. I'm just looking to get the bass a bit cleaner and tighter w/music... -TD

J

jotham

Audioholic
Titanic would be my choice

What I particularly like about it, is that I know exactly what's in it. You still have to buy a contact adhesive spray (if you don't have some).

It has really impressive sealed output for it's size. No port chuffing issues. It is dead silent even at full power, doesn't seem to bottom out. It doesn't go super low but I think that's more a function of the driver size, not for lack of trying. As it does not have a port, it doesn't have the bump at certain frequencies that some subs do.

I can't speak to the other subs unfortunately. But if you do get this one, I don't think you'll be disappointed. On the ************ site, there is a fair review of it. They've fixed the issues that were raised in the review.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Not going low is a function of driver design and cabinet tuning, and cabinet tuning is also a function of the physical size - to go lower, you often need more cabinet volume because you'll need a driver that can move more air. The driver's natural frequency is not low, so the overall design wasn't to go low, it was likely to generate more SPL higher up, as is likely the case with most of those subs listed. It's a lot harder to bottom out a sealed sub because the internal volume is acting like a spring, but you also give up output (rather you need more power to achieve the same SPL) and lower tuning.

If you really want an STF-1, someone mentioned you might check at www.ascendacoustics.com they may have some in stock. In room it will go lower than 32Hz, but probably not too much below 25Hz realistically. Should be fine if you aren't looking for deep stuff. I'd still probably look for something that is closer to -3dB at 25Hz.

T

timpoblete

Audiophyte
Amazon has the Athena Audition AS-P4000 on sale for $150 shipped. Ordered one about half an hour ago. Just wanna throw that out there if the price makes it more appealing.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
GUYS! LFM-2 = STF-1!!!

They are the same thing. Same power, same box, same driver.

The Athena has 100WRMS, not peak, so its not "under powered" at all. Trust me, it can throw down if it has to. Its also dual ported (1 forward, 1 down) so it should breath easier then the AS-P400 I reviewed earlier.

The Titanic is going to be the most expensive. It needs to be built too.

SheepStar

Last edited:
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I'd go Titanic, then HSU. The Titanic has the most impressive components, but like Sheep says, has to be assembled. Can you put a bicycle together? No pun intended, Sheep. :rolleyes: 14x14x14 is a nice, compact sub. Sometimes you have to pay extra to get extra.

HSU has the market on low end HT response for size and value. You'd have to step up to the SVS PB10 at almost $500 to compare something similar.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Can you put a bicycle together? No pun intended, Sheep.
No, but I rebuilt 7 small block V8's in a week... :)

I don't to the work on my Bike, OR HT, I just set it up, and play it.

SheepStar

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
For music 1st the ULW-10. I've heard it in the same room as my STF-2. The STF-2 plays louder and lower but I liked the UFW better for music.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
corysmith01 said:
If you poke around in the av123 forums, you'll sometimes find the guys over there selling a ulw/ufw10, that way you could get it cheaper...assuming you don't mind used. This one was listed fairly recently:

http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12567
Good call on these, I buy used/refurbed whenever possible. I'll keep an eye open for now, as I'm going to have to hold off for a couple of weeks, but this is definitely good stuff...

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
jotham said:
I can't speak to the other subs unfortunately. But if you do get this one, I don't think you'll be disappointed. On the ************ site, there is a fair review of it. They've fixed the issues that were raised in the review.
I can't imagine I would be disappointed with the performance of the Titanic, and at just under $360.00, I shouldn't be. My only question of this sub would be it's musicality, how tight it is and how much punch... -TD

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Great Input Guys....

Thanks for the 'heads-up' on the STF-1 over at Ascend, J.

$150.00 shipped for the Athena is pretty tough value to beat. It ain't the prettiest sub out there, but this one's going to be out of sight anyway, so that shouldn't really matter. If anyone else has experience with these, please let me know.

I think if cost wasn't an issue, I'd grab the ULW-10, but the fact that I might be able to find it used makes this option a bit more appealing. The Titanic would be high on the list as well, but again, the cost is up there for the duties it's going to perform. And seeing how I've built a deck on my house, I'm pretty confident I can put it together... :D

I'm not so sure I'd compare the STF-1 with the PB-10, possibly the STF-2 or 3, but there quite a bit more.

If cost weren't an object, a SuperCube or even a Velodyne SPL would be a consideration, but it definitely is.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
STF-1 sounds GREAT for music. It has nice punch and smoothness. I highly recommend it, especially for smaller to medium sized rooms. The frequency response is nice and flat too, so it's accurate too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis