"Small" speakers with Sub.

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
I recently got the B&W FPMs, and they sound great, but now I need to rely more on the sub then before becuase of the loss in frequency range due to the slim design of the speaker.

I was just thinking about something and came up with a question/concern.

Assuming the speakers do not go below 60Hz thefore anything under would have to be produced by the sub. what if you are listening to a song and at the same time the singers voice reqiures 55Hz, but the base guitar requires 38 Hz if both sounds need to be produced at the same time which one gets missed? Can a sub actually produce 2 different frequences at the same time?

Is that a dumb question?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Vancouver said:
I recently got the B&W FPMs, and they sound great, but now I need to rely more on the sub then before becuase of the loss in frequency range due to the slim design of the speaker.

I was just thinking about something and came up with a question/concern.

Assuming the speakers do not go below 60Hz thefore anything under would have to be produced by the sub. what if you are listening to a song and at the same time the singers voice reqiures 55Hz, but the base guitar requires 38 Hz if both sounds need to be produced at the same time which one gets missed? Can a sub actually produce 2 different frequences at the same time?

Is that a dumb question?
That's an excellent question. That's one debate over on the "SVS Visit" thread we have been talking about. Some of the larger SVS box subs are so large, they have trouble reproducing the midbass necessary for male vocals, as well as certain instruments. Many larger "box" subwoofers are meant for home theater. The smaller, high powered subs seem to reproduce the midbass much better, but lack in the awe inspiring lowest frequencies. To answer your question about "which frequency gets missed" - it all depends on the sub you are using. A smaller sub which favors midbass may pick up the singers voice first, while a large home theater sub picks up the bass guitar first. Keep in mind, most music never drops below 30Hz, so if you are into music, find yourself a high end, smaller sub with plenty of power, and you won't have any issues.

Last edited:
jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, it can. When I sub needs to produce two frequencies at the same time, the waves combine and the sub moves in a modified wave form, not just a sine wave.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis