Six Polk 505's or a nice SVS Sub

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
This is an interesting analogy with regards to subs, but I think its only half right. Once a sub get to a very good qualitative level, then multiples using these mid-level subs can quickly exceed the performance of a higher end sub, especially in qualitative indicators. By far, the chief metric that determines sound quality in bass is frequency response. Two subs can get a much flatter response in room than a single sub. So, qualitatively speaking, you could get a better fundamental sound from two PB-1000s than you could with a single SB16-Ultra. Qualitatively speaking, the Ultra would still have an advantage of deeper extension, but the more neutral response of dual subs would be a far more audible advantage. The SB16 would still have an advantage in dynamic range, but that can be made up for by just adding more PB-1000s, which could also further flatten out the response which further increases their sound quality advantage. A properly set-up quad PB-1000 system is going to sound much better than a single SB16-Ultra system yet costs the same.
Agree, but the same would not necessarily apply to every smaller sub, nor lesser subs. There's also a space consideration; if you have the room, why not? Despite my room size, I don't have a spot for a second sub, let alone 4. The setup time to achieve that smoothness is also a factor, it isn't a simple "plug and play" sort of thing, and initially makes the assumption the room has no major issues.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
LMAO, I had the Fiesta (the successor to the lol Festiva) and the Yaris as rental cars. Neither was awful actually, both equally slow and you can see where they take cost out to achieve the price point, but I was actually pleased with both as a cheapo commute car. The Yaris felt a lot cheaper but came with a lot of included features (Nice stereo w/XM, charging ports, USB to head unit, etc...) that were clearly geared at a younger crowd because they have to give you something to make it appealing to the inexpensive crowd.

Yugo.

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
I did some test tones on my computer and measured the response with a db meter. The Polk 505's fall out of the air like a wet rag at 35hz. At 40hz the db measured 67db. At 35 hz the DB meter measured 59 db. At 30hz the DB meter measured 50db.

And from what I've read, these HSU and SVS subs have a flat response all the way down to 20hz. That's crazy. I'm missing out on so much bass.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I did some test tones on my computer and measured the response with a db meter. The Polk 505's fall out of the air like a wet rag at 35hz. And from what I've read, these HSU and SVS subs have a flat response all the way down to 20hz. That's crazy. I'm missing out on so much bass.
Yep. Time to go shopping! Easy for me to say lol.
I measured one in my room and it started rolling at about 28hz. Bigger room though...

J

Jamesrxx951

Audioholic Intern
I did some test tones on my computer and measured the response with a db meter. The Polk 505's fall out of the air like a wet rag at 35hz. At 40hz the db measured 67db. At 35 hz the DB meter measured 59 db. At 30hz the DB meter measured 50db.

And from what I've read, these HSU and SVS subs have a flat response all the way down to 20hz. That's crazy. I'm missing out on so much bass.
I found similar results using a microphone and REW software. A cliff round 30-35hz and below that the port seems to make fart noises.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I found similar results using a microphone and REW software. A cliff round 30-35hz and below that the port seems to make fart noises.
Yeah it definitely makes some weird noises when you push it. For the money, it’s not the worst thing you can have though.

J

Jamesrxx951

Audioholic Intern
Yeah it definitely makes some weird noises when you push it. For the money, it’s not the worst thing you can have though.
For music they are not to bad, if they don't get pushed. Low stuff in movies can be distracting though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis