Single Sub vs Dual Subs

N

norge43

Enthusiast
Hello. I'm fairly new to the audiophile world, but thanks to Audioholics I'm learning a lot. Keep up the great work.
I'm replacing my old old surround system with a 5.1 or 5.2 system and need advice concerning 1 Sub vs 2 Subs. I've read the post by Speakerman3 and the attached Harmon study. Helpful. Thanks.
My room is a typical combined open floor plan. Total measurements are 37 ft x 12 Ft x 8 ft (3552 ft 3) ceilings. Listening position at right end of room measures 14 ft x 12 ft x 8 ft ceilings (1344 ft 3). 3552 falls into a medium sized room. Listening zone much smaller but is open to rest of room.
Audioholics recommends dual Subs when possible. I called four Sub companies (HSU Research, Ascend Acoustics, RSL Speakers and SVS) for their recommendations. Interestingly, 3 of the 4 advised a single sub for my set-up. They said to focus on proper Sub choice, placement, and accurate calibration. With these, a properly chosen single Sub would be quite adequate. None said dual Subs were bad, just not needed. Try one Sub; can buy 2nd Sub later if unhappy. I don't know if the one dual Sub was an honest opinion or simply an attempt to upsell more Subs...
I found this response interesting. Of course budget is important and one good Sub would save money. Any thoughts and advice? Thanks much.

Sef_Makaro

Sef_Makaro

Audioholic
The way I understand it is that dual subs gives you more even response from the room. Meaning the bass should sound more even (volume wise) over a larger area. If you have a couple rows of seating dual would be your best bet so everyone gets the same experience. If your listening area is smaller can use one sub, making sure to position it properly in the room.

Starting with one sub is definitely the cheaper and easier route. When you go dual you have to level match them so it adds another step.

If you start with one sub and you like why you hear, great. If you notice one seat has weak bass while another is getting blown out, you’d either want try repositioning the sub or adding another one.

N

norge43

Enthusiast
Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense that two Subs would better balance a large room with multiple different seating positions. My seating area is relatively small, with a couch and chair. Listening and movie watching is done on the couch. That may be why the Sub companies suggested to start with one Sub.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Finding that best spot for a single sub may not work out aesthetically either, but then that can be an issue with multiple subs as well (especially when WAF is involved).

N

norge43

Enthusiast
Thanks for the response. I had not thought about those considerations. WAF is not a factor, so that simplifies. I have no problem ignoring aesthetics for better sound and performance. I have some flexibility in Sub(s) placement, but am somewhat limited in being able to make major changes with furniture placement. Subwoofer crawl, followed by some fine tuning, will dictate best placement, and I'll have to balance that with my room and furniture limitations. I love clean deep bass so the dual Subs really appeals to me. The practical side, however, says if one Sub works, save the money. Too bad finances always has to complicate things.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
The common advice for multiple subs smoothing response is predicated on closed, shoebox rooms with all parallel boundaries. It doesn’t apply to your situation. Any place I’ve lived with open floor plans, I‘ve never felt the need to use more than one sub, and it worked best in a corner with uninterrupted wall lengths on both directions. I’d say start with one sub – you can always add a second if you need greater output.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In my last few places it's those big open houses/rooms that benefitted more from multiple subs. My small closed shoebox bedroom is easier, tho. YMMV.

N

norge43

Enthusiast
Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. I think I will start with one Sub and focus on proper placement and calibration. As you stated, I can add another Sub if one is not enough. I appreciate the input.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My guess is rsl recommended dual subs. That’s because they’re smaller than the other ones and duals will also add some headroom to your system as well as better response. If my hunch is right, they were not offering duals just to sell subs. They’re great guys to deal with and are good on recommendations.

I use and believe in multiple subwoofers but in the past have used singles. You can definitely get good results but it takes some work. Don’t be fooled, so do duals! Rsl is working on a larger subwoofer to compete with the other guys but it’s not quite ready. If you start with a single, I’d get the best one I could afford, them start saving right away for a second one. If you never get another, you’ll have a little stash for something else!

N

norge43

Enthusiast
Thanks for the advice. Actually Ascend Acoustics was the one that stated I should go dual. I spoke with Joe Roger's ( co-owner) of RSL. Great guy. He spent over 20 minutes educating me about Subs, answering my questions and giving me advise. Joe said they have set up home 5 speaker systems in larger spaces than mine, with a similar multi-use room layout, with one Speedwoofer 10S. Joe said one was more than adequate for those spaces. Of course, each space's acoustics will be different. Anyways, I am setting aside money for a second Sub should one not be enough (or just because)...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, joe is great. He deep dives right along with you. In the long run, I think you’ll end up with two. One is fun, but you know.....

Do you have any subs of particular interest?

N

norge43

Enthusiast
HSU Research VTF-2MK5, Ascend Acoustics (Rythmik) LV12F and the RSL Speedwoofer 10S. There seems to be a decent selection of Subs in the $500-$600 range.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis