Simplifying my setup: what receiver should I get?

R

rbf1138

Audioholic Intern
I'm going down to a simple bookshelf speaker/subwoofer setup in my living room after a Peachtree Nova/Ohm Walsh setup for years. I'm looking to spend around $350 on an amp/receiver and have the following requirements:

Inputs for-
TV
PS4
Wii U
Turntable
Macbook using Audirvana

Not really interested in surround sound/5.1 right now at all, just 2.1 with a Velodyne sub. Some concern about matching up the videogames/bluray audio playback with the visuals, as I know that can be an issue. I also want to be able to play music wirelessly, whether from my Macbook, Spotify on my phone, etc. Hence the appeal of the Sony 850...

The Sony 850 sounds about right but is there going to be any appreciable difference in sound quality between that and something like a Marantz Integrated? An Emotiva? I’ll be using cheap bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer now but if I spend a few hundred on better speakers will the Sony hold them back?

Other suggestions for how to both future proof my system but not break the bank would be great.

Opinions, advice and suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Couple suggestions.

First is the Yamaha R-N301 MSRP $349. It's not wi-fi, but does have network features that supports Spotify and other streaming services. It also has 2 digital inputs (optical/coaxial). It doesn't have a phono preamp built in, but you can get an external for fairly inexpensive.

Also from Yamaha is the A-S301 integrated amplifier MSRP 399. No on board tuner, and no network features, but does have the Phono input as well as the two digital inputs.

The Onkyo TX-8050 MSRP $379 receiver comes with network (no wifi), 4 digital inputs, phono input, preouts for subwoofer and stereo amplifiers, both of which the Yamaha's lack. This receiver seems to offer the best value of the three in a stereo only configuration.

The STR-DH850 does have wifi, but lacks a phono input. You do get the benefit of an onboard crossover for the subwoofer. The Sony doesn't have as substantial of a power supply as the Onkyo TX-8050, something to consider when it comes to dynamic headroom of the amplifier if needed.

Last edited:
R

rbf1138

Audioholic Intern
I have to say, I've been scared off of buying an Onkyo receiver after a day of researching this stuff. It just seems like a crapshoot and if it dies after a year I'd be screwed.

How do you feel about the Yamaha RX V675 for $350 vs. the ones you mentioned? Or the
Marantz NR1403 and Yamaha RX-V477?

Last edited:
J

JMJVK

Audioholic
A lot of people who complain of having a receiver dying early will not admit the dead item was not well ventilated. Perhaps Onkyo's designs are more susceptible to this than other brands. For the sake of aesthetics, people put AV gear in all manners of closed cabinets, or in shelves far too narrow and too low, starving the equipment of it capacity to dissipate heat. Fried gear ensues.

That said, given your requirments, I think a entry-level Yamaha is what you should be looking at.

R

rbf1138

Audioholic Intern
A lot of people who complain of having a receiver dying early will not admit the dead item was not well ventilated. Perhaps Onkyo's designs are more susceptible to this than other brands. For the sake of aesthetics, people put AV gear in all manners of closed cabinets, or in shelves far too narrow and too low, starving the equipment of it capacity to dissipate heat. Fried gear ensues.

That said, given your requirments, I think a entry-level Yamaha is what you should be looking at.
So between the Yamaha RX V477 at $350, the Yamaha RX V675 at $350, Yamaha A-S301 at $350 and Yamaha R-N301 at $300, how the heck do I choose?!?!

If the sound quality of the N301 and S301 are going to be exactly the same as the 477 and 675, but the 477 and 675 have all of these additional features, why would I not choose the 477/675?

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
you have/has such a nice speakers like Ohm Walsh, why would you want to downgrade (aka "cheap bookshelf speakers")
Maybe you should consider selecting speakers a bit more carefully and we can definitely help you if knew your total budget.
Audirvana is a music manager and player, much like iTunes - I assume you're referring to Airplay technology
Other than a bit worried on lack of 8oh amp ratings on Sony and lack pre-amp for your turntable, rest of specs look alright to me.
AH tested several Sony receivers and their amp sections actually were pretty good.

One other thing which I think will come useful is Audyssey multeq auto-room setup. It most cases, then used properly - it makes big improvements.

That all said - I think you should buy the receiver which only barely fits you and spend as much as possible for speakers.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavre300/denon-avr-e300-5.1-3d-networking-receiver-airplay/1.html

This should do the trick if you buy a stand-alone phono preamp (if needed), I've been told decent ones cost only $20 .

option b)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00JRTMOGS/ref=olp_tab_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used
See the ones sold by Amazon Warehouse. Unlike AC4L one year warranty - these are not USED, but a "B-Stock" and have same 3 year warranty as new unit (Amazon is Denon authorized reseller)

J

JMJVK

Audioholic
The "B" stock options are very nice.

Last edited:
R

rbf1138

Audioholic Intern
What about the Marantz NR1403? I feel like it's now down to that or the b stock Denon S700. If I go with Denon, do I buy the Amazon Warehouse b-stock or the "Refurbished" option on the main page?

As for the Ohm Walshes...I never felt like they sounded that great to me! If I were to be totally honest, I have a pair of $80 Micca bookshelf speakers hooked up now in the same room that the Ohm's were and they sound better...they sound alive and clear where the Ohm's always sounded muddy and mushy.

:(

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
What about the Marantz NR1403? I feel like it's now down to that or the b stock Denon S700. If I go with Denon, do I buy the Amazon Warehouse b-stock or the "Refurbished" option on the main page?
For aesthetics I would choose the Marantz, everything else seems to favor the Denon.

As for the Ohm Walshes...I never felt like they sounded that great to me! If I were to be totally honest, I have a pair of $80 Micca bookshelf speakers hooked up now in the same room that the Ohm's were and they sound better...they sound alive and clear where the Ohm's always sounded muddy and mushy.

:(
Probably placement and/or the room. Then again, their design is not conventional. Point source speakers like the Miccas are going to sound quite a bit different.

R

rbf1138

Audioholic Intern
42 or 42x?
42x. It really messed me up hearing them, driven by the little Lepai LP2020A. It made me question whether I had been doing something totally wrong with my Nova and Ohm, or if it really is just the room/placement. Whichever receiver I go with, I'm going to try it out with the Ohms, for sure.

Now: Marantz 1403, Denon S700W, Yamaha VX 477. All $300 from Amazon Warehouse.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
42 or 42x?
They both seem like they'd be a good option for one who wants to replace speakers that came with a midi stereo to something much better. The magnetic grill on the 42x is nifty. A full size AVR seems overkill for them though.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
42x is much better choice due to revised crossover. It still needs some eq to shine, but according to reviews, it's a diamond in rough.
42x maybe a bit overkill for proper avr, but they could always be reused for surround duty.

R

rbf1138

Audioholic Intern
They both seem like they'd be a good option for one who wants to replace speakers that came with a midi stereo to something much better. The magnetic grill on the 42x is nifty. A full size AVR seems overkill for them though.
Yeah, overkill for sure. I'm going to spend several hundred in the next year for better bookshelf speakers to replace them. That said, would it even matter if I bought the Denon (with all the great features) or the Marantz (the one that's supposed to sound best) using speakers under $1000?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Denon and marantz are brands of same company. I don't expect any difference in audio quality with same speakers at same spl (regardless of speakers - as long as present relatively easy load - most do)

As for speakers, it's not uncommon to use $6000 with $600 receiver and enjoy great sound.
That said using $6000 receiver ( or pre-pro and amp combo) with $600 will sound only as good as $600 speakers.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
... or the Marantz (the one that's supposed to sound best) using speakers under $1000?
I'd hold reservations about one or the other sounding "the best". I'd wager they'll sound quite similar if not identical. The Denon does have the edge in power, which will make it more flexible with possible future speaker purchases.

R

rbf1138

Audioholic Intern
So I pulled the trigger and bought the Marantz for $300 from Amazon Warehouse. Threw in the Yamaha Bluetooth/coax adapter too.

Of course, I'm immediately second guessing myself and wondering if I should've gone with the Yamaha as301 integrated amp, since I'm only doing 2.1 anyway.

I guess I have the preamp 2.1 outputs on the Marantz which makes it about equal.

If I bought the Yamaha 301, how would I most easily go about integrating it with all of my components? Would they all go into my tv, as they do now, with HDMI, then I'd output from the TVs optical jack into the Yamaha? I think my issue here is I recall my tv's optical out can't down sample to stereo and as a result won't work correctly. Which is why I currently have to use the stupid headphone jack converted to RCA into my Nova right now.

Also, the Yamaha is rated for 4 ohms. I know nothing about what this means practically. Am I going to have any issues with the Marantz and bookshelf speakers or will it be fine?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The Marantz will be fine.

If you did get the Yamaha I'd simply ensure all the source components are set to output 2 channel PCM only 44.1khz and 48khz, then use the television's optical out, no problem.

R

rbf1138

Audioholic Intern
If I did want to upgrade the setup later, would something like pre-outs to a Marantz PM6005 make sense? The 1403 would handle the video components/switching and the amp of the 6005 would be the primary driver of the sound? Does this make sense or am I totally not understanding how this stuff works?

Additionally, how about Dali Zensor 3 bookshelf speakers?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis