Simplifying Coax Connections

D

David1899

Enthusiast
When my DirecTV was installed, the guys left me all of 1ft of wire coming out of the wall. Given that I now have a huge entertainment center that is difficult to move, it would be really nice to simplify the coax connections on the back of the satellite receiver.

Are there any adapters (something similar to a banana plug on speaker wire) that will allow me to "quick connect" the box and the inwall coax or I am stuck improving my reach/dexterity?

Open to creative solutions here.

Thanks.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Just get a female-female adapter and extend the cable.

D

David1899

Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply.

I've thought about exenteding the cable. It just seems like there should be some way to simplify the connection so you don't have to yank the equipment out of the cabinet and screw the thing in everytime.

Coax is just irritating. The connectors are put on poorly half the time so you have to you use two hands to attach the cables (one to hold the connector still, the other to screw it on). There may not be anything, but it would be great if there was something that just let you plug in and go.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
When my DirecTV was installed, the guys left me all of 1ft of wire coming out of the wall. Given that I now have a huge entertainment center that is difficult to move, it would be really nice to simplify the coax connections on the back of the satellite receiver.

Are there any adapters (something similar to a banana plug on speaker wire) that will allow me to "quick connect" the box and the inwall coax or I am stuck improving my reach/dexterity?

Open to creative solutions here.

Thanks.
Make the installer come back and do the installation correctly. Every connector in the Direct TV system downgrades quality. The only connection in a good Direct TV installation should be the connection on the roof to the multi switch, the grounding block and your receiver. No others.

If he was that sloppy, make sure he installed your grounding block correctly. It needs to be connected to your house ground directly. Mine did a really half baked job, which I had to redo.

highfigh

highfigh

Make the installer come back and do the installation correctly. Every connector in the Direct TV system downgrades quality. The only connection in a good Direct TV installation should be the connection on the roof to the multi switch, the grounding block and your receiver. No others.

If he was that sloppy, make sure he installed your grounding block correctly. It needs to be connected to your house ground directly. Mine did a really half baked job, which I had to redo.
You're making a pretty big leap by assuming they actually grounded his feed. Mine didn't and I called them to make someone come out to do it. They had one guy who had some experience and a trainee who told me that I should apply with DirecTV after I did a lot of his job (I just wanted it done right). I'm getting ready to start a house that's being extensively remodeled and they're having the power, cable and phone lines buried from the pole to the side of the garage and the electrical contractor already mounted a grounding block. I've had the same company do work for me and I have worked on jobs with them, so I know they'll do things the right way. I'm also having them install a whole house surge protector at the new sub-panel where the new service feed goes first. I also get two circuits of my own. WOO HOO!

It's so nice to work with people who know what they're doing.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
how can it downgrade a digital signal? you either get a good signal or its blocky and the sound cuts out or "pops". its all digital.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

how can it downgrade a digital signal? you either get a good signal or its blocky and the sound cuts out or "pops". its all digital.
You have signal strength meters in the menu. You need to be at 90% or better if you don't want to get break up. If anything is wrong, then you get break up fast. The Direct TV system is very intolerant of any problems, and it does not tolerate adding barrel connectors. You can't splice it as the multi switch and roof receiver are phantom powered.

So yes you can degrade a digital signal easily.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
You have signal strength meters in the menu. You need to be at 90% or better if you don't want to get break up. If anything is wrong, then you get break up fast. The Direct TV system is very intolerant of any problems, and it does not tolerate adding barrel connectors. You can't splice it as the multi switch and roof receiver are phantom powered.

So yes you can degrade a digital signal easily.
well that is sort of what i was saying, and i guess that is true, the sat. signal is already of low amplitude, if u got a low strength signal coming through, any kind of clouds or atmospheric crap would mess it up

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis