Simple Tube vs SS in the bass department

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Is there anyone here who can tell me if the bass response from an integrated tube amp would be any different than a SS integrated amp? I read somewhere that SS will have a better grip or bass response is a bit more controlled.. Less boomy.
Any truth to this. Any opinions on bass sound difference between the two? Or is there any difference at all?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
The tube amps I have experience with don't have the clarity that ss models have, they just sound like they are missing something, whether its definition or something else it is something.. I never noticed the difference between a tube and ss amp in any specific range, just all together not as clean. It may have something to do with the power issue, tube amps are normally much less wattage, lows take much more power than mids and highs, I couldnt picture a 1200watt tube sub amplifier, I seen the 305 watt carver mono blocks and they were huge, imagine 4 of them, lol...

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I was wondering. I might have the chance to pick up a Primaluna Pro Dialog for an insane price.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
In general, tube amps have relatively rolled off bass compared to ss power. However, because of the output impedance of that amp, you'll get response peaks at the woofer's resonant frequency (ditto for port's resonance frequency for reflex alignments). If those response peaks coincide with room mode frequencies, it could get boomy.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I was wondering. I might have the chance to pick up a Primaluna Pro Dialog for an insane price.

If its an awesome price get it, you can always pass the deal onto someone else... Thats a good looking amp if nothing else, what i found with tube equipment is the speakers have a lot to do with your end results {more so than ss stuff}, a nice efficient pair of towers would be great with that amp in the corner of your dining room mounted on a fancy amp stand...

BUY IT, its only money, you can't take it with you...

A

Ampdog

Audioholic
The problem here is that there are so many varieties of tube circuits that is well nigh impossible to give a general reply. Whereas SS amps cannot function without NFB, there are 'schools' who believe in zero NFB (with its control disadvantages), low NFB and normal NFB. Some tube amps have intended distortion built in because it yields a 'warm' sound (some 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion allowed), etc.

Tube amps of the classic Williamson/Leak/Quad II variety have no audible distortion and should sound no different from good ss amps.

Specifically regarding bass response the above diversity could well colour the bass, though not the mentioned topologies. Thus, tube amps do not necessarily have poorer control at low frequencies, but as said.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis