Simple 12" Infinity Kappa VQ MidQ Plans

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I was just wondering about actual placement of the driver of course centered side to side but what about top to top of port slot is there an exact dimension for this placement Thanks in advance ..
It doesn't really matter.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
So another words if I choose to I may raise the driver up just a little bit more towards the center also ,thanks again for the reply...

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Delivery of drivers should be today so I will hopefully start my build on sat morn.I'll surely post a few pics.

S

Sepen

Junior Audioholic
I was looking over your build thread and have a couple of questions if you don't mind?

I have a HSU VTF 3.3 now and like the way it sounds but I want more output and lower extension. Will I achieve this with the Kappa?

I also posted at Hometheatershack 2 months ago and built two sealed Mach5 Audio IXL 18.2.2 subs driven by a EP2500 with a Behringer FBQ2496. Although the bass sounded incredible the low end was no where as compelling as the HSU even after EQ'ing the low end. I was very disappointed and have the IXL's for sale. I don't want to have to build a monstrosity for the IXL's going the ported way.

I want to be very very satisfied, so is the Kappa going to be that much better?

Thanks for taking the time, and I have been working with wood for 35 years so the build aspect doesn't scare me in the least,

thanks, Sam

Matt34

Matt34

I was looking over your build thread and have a couple of questions if you don't mind?

I have a HSU VTF 3.3 now and like the way it sounds but I want more output and lower extension. Will I achieve this with the Kappa?

I also posted at Hometheatershack 2 months ago and built two sealed Mach5 Audio IXL 18.2.2 subs driven by a EP2500 with a Behringer FBQ2496. Although the bass sounded incredible the low end was no where as compelling as the HSU even after EQ'ing the low end. I was very disappointed and have the IXL's for sale. I don't want to have to build a monstrosity for the IXL's going the ported way.

I want to be very very satisfied, so is the Kappa going to be that much better?

Thanks for taking the time, and I have been working with wood for 35 years so the build aspect doesn't scare me in the least,

thanks, Sam
Your not going to get deeper bass as it's advised to set a 18hz LPF to protect the driver but the bass you will get is measurable better than the HSU. I went from dual HSU VTF3 MK2 to dual Kappas and the clean output is down right scary. Scenes like the WOTW pod/lightning scene would give the HSU fits with very audible port noise, not so with the Kappas.

However if your looking for 16hz and below performance and a relatively "small" enclosure see if you can find a AP LMS 18" or maybe the AV15H with a couple passive radiators which seem to be the buzz right now after the WI GTG Warpdv had at his place last month.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1111483&page=6

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Your not going to get deeper bass as it's advised to set a 18hz LPF to protect the driver but the bass you will get is measurable better than the HSU. I went from dual HSU VTF3 MK2 to dual Kappas and the clean output is down right scary. Scenes like the WOTW pod/lightning scene would give the HSU fits with very audible port noise, not so with the Kappas.

However if your looking for 16hz and below performance and a relatively "small" enclosure see if you can find a AP LMS 18" or maybe the AV15H with a couple passive radiators which seem to be the buzz right now after the WI GTG Warpdv had at his place last month.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1111483&page=6
Well, how can you fit the huge AudioPulse LMS 18" into a relatively small cabinet....???? a ported cabinet for this is going to be huge yes?

And a closed cabinet, still huge...???
but interesting... Anyone out there that tried this driver, recommended power rating of 5000W :eek::eek::eek::eek:

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
My drivers arrived today,later than expected but they are here none the less.Heres the bad news it seems they were not packed so well for the long trip from the west coast.Ill say what I found and please chime in to either reassure me that they will be fine or pack em up ,ship em back and reorder from another supplier.First and foremost the metal inserts just seemed to come out of the packing area and roll all around banging against everything and any thing one magnet has a 1/4" sliver about a1/2" long chipped off a lot of scratches and gouges on all 4 inserts (2 drivers) tons of metal shards that are like impossible to get off the darn magnets and one long scratch on the cone I am not really close to having my boxes done so I dont think I can be sure they will be fine.I was so anticipating delivery and now Im f##**! pissed maybe I am overreacting but a little attention to the packing for a long shipping would go a long way to satisfy a customer.Thanks for any thoughts ..:mad:

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
My drivers arrived today,later than expected but they are here none the less.Heres the bad news it seems they were not packed so well for the long trip from the west coast.Ill say what I found and please chime in to either reassure me that they will be fine or pack em up ,ship em back and reorder from another supplier.First and foremost the metal inserts just seemed to come out of the packing area and roll all around banging against everything and any thing one magnet has a 1/4" sliver about a1/2" long chipped off a lot of scratches and gouges on all 4 inserts (2 drivers) tons of metal shards that are like impossible to get off the darn magnets and one long scratch on the cone I am not really close to having my boxes done so I dont think I can be sure they will be fine.I was so anticipating delivery and now Im f##**! pissed maybe I am overreacting but a little attention to the packing for a long shipping would go a long way to satisfy a customer.Thanks for any thoughts ..:mad:
I suggest you return them. That's sounds terrible. I always let the UPS store due my shipping. Ask if they insured the package. Did it come UPS?

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Yes it was ups and they are insured I wrote the seller and they will stand behind the sale so I imagine they will send me some new ones Ill let ya know I dont even feel as if I should hook them up and see I just want new items that look new.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Yes it was ups and they are insured I wrote the seller and they will stand behind the sale so I imagine they will send me some new ones Ill let ya know I dont even feel as if I should hook them up and see I just want new items that look new.
Don't do anything to them. I suggest you contact the seller and resolve this. Shipping damage is rare, but does happen. Even if you pack it like a fortress. Most electronics are sent' in double ply boxes with styrofoam and air bubbles. Stuff happens, but rarely.

Matt34

Matt34

Not over reacting at all, hope you get this resolved with the seller. Where they shipped in the factory boxes?

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Yes they were the factory boxes inside of a mid-size ups box no bubble wrap or foam nothing just box on box what a mess the low-q and mid-q inserts were not even in a baggy but I found the small plastic baggies in the bottom of the box.There was about ten inches for the boxes to slide back and forth inside the bigger box.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
The seller has decent customer service they called me back! They assured me that the new replacements will be here by friday the claim will be filed today by them and I may or may not get a call from ups I find this hard to believe but I have to give them the chance to make it right I just find it odd that they didnt even ask for these ones back I guess Ill know more on Friday.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
thanx sucks. your new ones may be delivered by a claims agent. and he would inspect the damage. and go from there.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

guys. sorry if i am off base asking this, in this thread. but where are you getting your drivers and EP2500, from ? yes, i googled. but i know as a fact, google doesn't always find the best price. and does include unreputable dealers.

i am wanting to build a dual DIY sub system. since i have not found what i am looking for. i am going higher, just to be clear as to what i would be getting.
so i have 2 options so far. your infinity x 2. or a shiva x 2, with a EP2500. though either of these is very likely to be a LOT more than i can use.

thanx

Matt34

Matt34

guys. sorry if i am off base asking this, in this thread. but where are you getting your drivers and EP2500, from ? yes, i googled. but i know as a fact, google doesn't always find the best price. and does include unreputable dealers.

i am wanting to build a dual DIY sub system. since i have not found what i am looking for. i am going higher, just to be clear as to what i would be getting.
so i have 2 options so far. your infinity x 2. or a shiva x 2, with a EP2500. though either of these is very likely to be a LOT more than i can use.

thanx
I got my EP2500 from ZZsounds.com and the subs from this guy on ebay who was great to work with and had excellent communications throughout the transaction.

http://stores.ebay.com/w-w-w-dimensionaudio-c-o-m

He actually is selling them cheaper than what I got mine for ($330 shipped) vs. $289 now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-INFINITY-KAPPA-PERFECT-12VQ-12-SUB-WOOFERS-SUBS-pair_W0QQitemZ360131943060QQihZ023QQcategoryZ18805QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

wow. thanx. thats $100 less than the shiva's.

lots of pages in this thread. about what page is box build plans on ?

and is anyone having troubles with the ep2500 ?

THANX :)

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
wow. thanx. thats $100 less than the shiva's.

lots of pages in this thread. about what page is box build plans on ?

and is anyone having troubles with the ep2500 ?

THANX :)
page 1 post1:) sorry Mike we posted at the same time.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis