Signed with my company today; will be a full-time Engineer next month

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
I am graduating with an Aerospace Engineering degree on May 11th (happy mother's day, mom!) and will start my full-time job in early June... after I take my vacation to Disney World. I've been co-oping for a NASA contractor for about 1.5 years now and am currently part time. I've been negotiating the past couple weeks and I signed the papers yesterday. I actually got more than I asked for... by a couple grand. The co-op'ing really paid off in the long run. It only pushed my graduation date back 2 semesters and the experience netted me an extra $7k/year (compared to what fresh-outs are getting paid). :)

woot!

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I am graduating with an Aerospace Engineering degree on May 11th (happy mother's day, mom!) and will start my full-time job in early June... after I take my vacation to Disney World. I've been co-oping for a NASA contractor for about 1.5 years now and am currently part time. I've been negotiating the past couple weeks and I signed the papers yesterday.

woot!
Congrats! That's great, hopefully you can be the one that kicks NASA back into shape.;):D

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Congrats! That's great, hopefully you can be the one that kicks NASA back into shape.;):D
haha... I will try.

Thanks. I'm really happy and honestly proud of myself. Made me happy to tell my old man.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Thanks, guys.

All that money is going straight to the bank. Gotta save up money for my house (and the home theater room, lol).

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Congratulations!!! I hope the professional world of engineering lets you play with the same kickass projects that you education provided. Extra money is great, but the satisfaction of seeing something you designed and built going into production is priceless.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
Congratulations! I think you have found a good job where they won't be subcontracting all the engineering and manufacturing to India or China.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Great, do you know in which project(s) you will be working, tell me more, pleazzz :D

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Great, do you know in which project(s) you will be working, tell me more, pleazzz :D
This is pretty much my exact job descrip, taken from the job postings:

"Provide engineering support to the Propulsion Components Division of the Propulsion Systems Department of MSFC for the design, development, and testing of the Main Propulsion System of the Ares I Upper Stage. Assist in the design, development, and testing of valves, valve actuators, lines (tubing assemblies), and ducts (piping and flex-joints). Support conceptual design, fluid flow analysis, stress analysis, material selection, manufacturing technique selection, computer aided design modeling, and engineering drawing preparation. Additionally, development of requirements, specifications, test plans, test procedures, and technical reports for design and evaluation of fluid system components will be required. Perform conceptual design, detailed design, and documentation preparation. Perform development engineering analysis or preliminary stress analysis to ensure proper operation and adequate structural integrity of the component hardware. Support component level evaluations, analyze design specifications and drawings, and recommend changes to enable proper functioning of the hardware. Support component test anomaly investigation and resolution. Participate in design reviews. Participate, in support of senior engineers, in conducting tests or reviewing data from tests to evaluate performance of valves, actuators, lines, ducts, miscellaneous fluid components, and fluid systems. Develop preliminary versions of test plans, test procedures, and test reports. Design test systems and equipment."

Bolded the main portion. No other specifics as of yet. It'll be June until I start my first day.

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
Congratulations. You've got to be our first official Rocket Scientist!:cool:

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
It's really great to have a rocket scientist at hand :cool:
No kidding! You know how whenever someone says, "Well, I'm no rocket scientist...", well now you say that "Yes, yes I am a rocket scientist." AH just got at least 50% smarter. :D

Congrats on the new job! :)

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
And you can come home from work and tell your wife...

I can't tell you what I'm working on... Sorry, it's a federal secret :D

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

I am graduating with an Aerospace Engineering degree on May 11th (happy mother's day, mom!) and will start my full-time job in early June... after I take my vacation to Disney World. I've been co-oping for a NASA contractor for about 1.5 years now and am currently part time. I've been negotiating the past couple weeks and I signed the papers yesterday. I actually got more than I asked for... by a couple grand. The co-op'ing really paid off in the long run. It only pushed my graduation date back 2 semesters and the experience netted me an extra $7k/year (compared to what fresh-outs are getting paid). :)

woot!
Damn, a full fledged Rocket Scientist :cool: Congrats on the education, your future job, and showing the 'rents that you made something out of yourself.

I have a buddy in the Air Force that has a B.S. in Electrical Engineering and a Masters in Space Science, and after working the 'Cape for a few years, he's hot rodding Titans, I think, I can't get any info out of him, everything is "beyond Top Secret"

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
No kidding! You know how whenever someone says, "Well, I'm no rocket scientist...", well now you say that "Yes, yes I am a rocket scientist." AH just got at least 50% smarter. :D

Congrats on the new job! :)
lol, I know. It's kinda got a cool ring to it.

When someone says "it's not rocket science" I can have something to counter with. ;)

To be quite honest, I'm pretty shy about talking about my job/education. I always feel like if I say something about it around my friends (non-college buddies) or in-laws I'm bragging. So, when people ask me about it I don't talk much about it.

But, I do have to admit, it makes me kinda psyched to be a 'rocket scientist'. FWIW, it's not that hard. The education cost me a lot of time more than smarts. ;)

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Damn, a full fledged Rocket Scientist :cool: Congrats on the education, your future job, and showing the 'rents that you made something out of yourself.

I have a buddy in the Air Force that has a B.S. in Electrical Engineering and a Masters in Space Science, and after working the 'Cape for a few years, he's hot rodding Titans, I think, I can't get any info out of him, everything is "beyond Top Secret"
Hot rodding speakers and amplifiers sounds like fun..... But.... Hot rodding Titans :cool::cool: What a job !!!!!

Do you think you may get to that stage Erin? :D:D:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis