Sidney Powell Argues in Court Motion that she's clearly just full of it

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Dominion Voting Systems sues Fox News for $1.6B for false election claims | CBC News

I'm not a lawyer - and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night - so I can't offer any expert opinion, but I wonder if there would be any benefit to suing Fox in Canada. Dominion Voting Systems was founded in Toronto, where its international headquarters is located, and Fox News is broadcast here, so the same BS was spewed north of the border. Defamation and libel laws are generally tilted more in favour of plaintiffs (no requirement to prove malicious intent, for example) here than in the US.
Fox would probably argue that the products that were disparaged on Canadian TV were only sold in the U.S., and their TV coverage of events in the U.S. are not sufficient. I'm not sure what the outcome would be, though.

I'm not licensed in Canada, so take the above with a grain of salt.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Powell just can't resist making nutty statements. I can't think of a nice way to say this, but she's just dumb.

>>>But a half-hour into the panel at the Dallas Patriot Roundup late last month, Powell appeared to veer away from the defense her attorneys had set out, according to multiple videos reviewed by The Daily Beast.

“I don’t think they realized that some of us litigators were going to catch on and hold their feet to the fire and expose what really happened or that they could shut us up by, say, suing me for 4.3 billion dollars in three different states,” Powell said at the panel discussion. “Threatening me is like waving a red flag in a bull’s face.”

Dominion’s suit against her should be dismissed, Powell continued, because “number one, they don't have jurisdiction over us and number two, we meant what we said and we have the evidence to back it up.”

At the very least, the statement was a tactical error, defamation law experts say—one could come back to haunt her in court.

“That seems like an extremely damaging admission from Ms. Powell that eviscerates her main defense, which is based on a distortion of the opinion doctrine to begin with,” Ted Boutrous Jr, an attorney at Gibson Dunn and an expert on defamation law, told The Daily Beast. “Dominion will have a field day with this statement in opposing her efforts to dismiss the case before trial, and before the jury if and when the case goes to trial.”

But Powell went further. In the event Dominion’s suits against her and her legal defense organization, Defending the Republic, aren’t tossed out, “then we will get discovery against Dominion and we will be on offense,” she added.

“Powell’s rather odd statement certainly won’t help her defense,” said Sam Terilli, a professor at the University of Miami’s School of Communication and the former general counsel for the Miami Herald. “It’s just hard to know in advance, but it clearly could be a problem.” . . .

“Her stance ‘I can prove it’ is definitely inconsistent with her lawyers’ stance “nobody would take it as anything but opinion,’ added Ken White, a First Amendment lawyer and ex-federal prosecutor. “It’s tricky, though. Generally at this stage, a court wouldn’t be considering extrinsic evidence like her statements — they consider what’s in the complaint and what’s in public record (like court filings, etc.). The way it could play out is that the judge ignores it for now but revisits it at a later stage (like summary judgment) if the claims against her survive.”<<<

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Even Rudy distanced himself from her near the end. That should tell you something.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis