Should I Use the HDMI DVI Connection?

G

GeorgeM

Audioholic
I've read the informative article on the home page relating to HDMI-DVI connectors but still need more info.

1. From a SciAtlanta Explorer 8300HD DVR box I have the option to make an HDMI connection (via a HDMI-to-DVI cable) to the DVI input on my HD plasma TV. If I do, will it significantly improve the quality of the picture?

2. If I buy a cable connector to make this change what happens to the currently installed Component Video Input? Should it remain in place for use when the DVI option on the plasma display is not selected?

3. My current setup routes the three sets of component video cables to a Yamaha RX-V2400 (DVD-In, CableBox-In, Monitor-Out). Appropriate optical and coax cables also used.

Appreciate any help...

-GeorgeM

E

ebough

Junior Audioholic
GeorgeM said:
I've read the informative article on the home page relating to HDMI-DVI connectors but still need more info.

1. From a SciAtlanta Explorer 8300HD DVR box I have the option to make an HDMI connection (via a HDMI-to-DVI cable) to the DVI input on my HD plasma TV. If I do, will it significantly improve the quality of the picture?

2. If I buy a cable connector to make this change what happens to the currently installed Component Video Input? Should it remain in place for use when the DVI option on the plasma display is not selected?

3. My current setup routes the three sets of component video cables to a Yamaha RX-V2400 (DVD-In, CableBox-In, Monitor-Out). Appropriate optical and coax cables also used.

Appreciate any help...

-GeorgeM
The HDMI/DVI connection may give you a better picture than component, especially if you have a digital display TV. In any event the picture quality is likely to be close either way and empirical testing and comparison is the only way to know for sure.

Most cable boxes output all modes simultaneously, and there is no reason not to leave your component cables connected. Most likely your TV simply allows you to switch between selected inputs.

G

GeorgeM

Audioholic
Thanks for your response.

I just bought ($99.00/Radio Shack) and installed the HDMI/DVI connector and your comments were right on the mark: viewing in the HD mode there was some improvement (but not dazzling) as compared to the Component Video connector. I'd also have to say that many of the analog programs were somewhat better. In particular I did a double-take when viewing one of the Discovery channels; the picture quality was very close to HD. I guess the source data is a big factor.

-GeorgeM

The SA Explorer 8300-DVR is connected to a Gateway (manufactured by Sampo) 42" HD Plasma.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis