Should i use denim insulation for this build of the 1099's?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I would use what the kit instructions recommend. I looked briefly at the long AVS thread, and I didn't see any mention of the type of stuffing. A photo showed fingered foam inside a cabinet.

These are ported cabinets, where bass performance is tuned by the port diameter and length. As long as the cabinets are lined with something, it shouldn't much matter what that material is. Many DIY newbies imagine different lining or stuffing materials can make a noticeable difference. Not really.

If you use denim, how would you attach it to the cabinet walls?

This is different in most sealed bass cabinets, where polyfill or denim stuffing (not lining) fills most of the cabinet's volume. The stuffing acts to make the cabinet volume seem larger, by as much as 20%. This can affect bass performance, usually in a small way.

In transmission line bass cabinets, the amount and location of stuffing actually is actually important. I've seen designs where an amount of polyfill stuffing is specified, and a different amount if glass fiber is used. But your speakers have a ported bass design.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I am supposed to do poly fill in the mid and tweeter cabinet.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I heard staples or spray adhesive for the denim insulation.. which do you recommend?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Holy cow Cameron.

Well, those mains will certainly keep up with your monster sub in the spl drag-race rig you're building. FWIW, the diysoundgroup speakers I built (fusion 12 Tempest) are really pleasing. But those monsters will be able to easily shred your hearing, so at least try and use some restraint with the volume knob, in order to continue to enjoy listening to music. Hearing damage is cumulative and irreversible. And I know how loud you listen to that horrid Canadian band.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
lol nickelback kicks ass! I wont go any louder than I do now. I hear a lot of good things about the 1099's. One guy that made them said he cried when he finally heard them!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis