Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
Ok Ive been thinkin "Upgrade or wait?" Right now I have a Integra DTR-5.4 wich is nice I like it it was my first reciever and isnt old or out dated. But Im starting to get annoyed with features it dosent have such as video up conversion and I need more optical inputs and I figure I may as well get a 7.1 So the question's I pose are...

Do I stay with just a reciever or do I go for it and get seprates
Do I even bother or should I wait untill theres new formats or other interesting technologies

Then it comes to if I get a reciever what one to get. I realize that question is very vauge but what do other people have and why they like it. Ive looked into Denons, Integra, B&W, NAD ect. and I like all of them it more come to how much to spend. I guess while Im at it THX or who carers?

Then if seprates wich ones? Im really liking the Emovita MPS-1 amp alot and am awaiting the review of the matching pre amp. Other equipment Ive looked at is Rotel, Krell, Integra, Integra Research. And same THX or no THX?

Im just always looking to improve if I can and if its worth doing so any info is apreciated.

Thanks,
Sean

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Others may disagree but I doubt there would be any audible difference in sound by upgrading your receiver to a new one or to seperates unless any of them is coloring the sound or you are experiecing clipping with your curent setup. You mention features, thats a different matter and you have to judge whether or not they are worth the cost of the upgrade.

J

jimmit

Junior Audioholic
The answer to your title question -- "Should I upgrade?" -- is, I believe, yes; assuming you have the money to do so. Your home theater should be a source of enjoyment and relaxation for you. If the shortcomings of your receiver are causing annoyance, IMO it is time to look into another receiver. No reason to wait; they will always be coming out with new techologies so waiting won't do much good.

As to whether or not you should get separates, that is something only you can answer. If money is no object, why not? However, if your only goal is to eliminate the source of your annoyance, a good receiver will do fine. If you do opt for separates, I don't think there's any reason to spend a fortune. IMO you tend to reach a point of diminishing returns. Sure you can pay $20,000 for an amp but will it sound five times as good as a $5,000 amp? IMO no. In fact, I submit that there is little, if any, audible difference in SQ between them.

All of the receiver brands you mentioned (with the exception of B&W, which is a speaker manufacturer; maybe you meant B&K) include some very nice units. I don't hold the opinion that there vast differences in the sound of similarly priced receivers. Among Denon, Harman Kardon, Integra, Marantz, NAD, Pioneer/Pio Elite and Yamaha, pick one that has the power, features, look and ergonomics you want/need. If you want to step up a tad in build quality, you might look at Arcam, B&K and Rotel.

To THX or not to THX. It's merely an indication that the model has been reviewed by George Lucas' engineers and is certified to provide accurate movie playback. Some manufacturer's submit their gear for certification (and pay for it, theoretically thereby adding to the price of it) and some do not. It does not mean that if a product does not bear the THX certification that the product could not meet the requirements for certification if submitted.

At the end of your post, you comment that, "Im just always looking to improve. . ." Well, upgrading your speakers will give you most noticable improvement in SQ. Just a thought.

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
Rowdy S13,

since your receiver doesn't have the inputs/features that you are wanting, I would say it's time to upgrade (budget permitting)

I wouldn't spend everything on a receiver/separates but instead buy timbre matched speakers (at least) for your front L/R and center speakers. Those are critical for H/T enjoyment and the money you invest in a good speaker package will last for many years. IMHO, receivers tend to become outdated fairly quickly due to new features/formats so I don't favour investing alot of money into something with practically 'planned obsolescence'. There is always better/more performing models every year...

As far as your question of receiver/separates, today's receivers offer comparable performance to separates but depending on some ppls purchasing habits separates have an economic advantage if you plan to upgrade certain components often. Like substituting engines instead of the whole car. ;)

Whatever you decide, take the time to research and 'listen' carefully before buying.

Good luck,

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for the input and yes I ment B&K not B&W :p Unfortunatly I havent had much of a chance to go out and start listening to recievers but looking around just a lil I really like the Integra DTR-6.5 Though I am a tad partial to Integra (not that thats a bad thing) because thats what I started with and I love it. Like I said its basicly features not SQ thats making me look around. As far as speakers I posted in the speaker forum asking if anyone thought I could do better. I have Canton LE 170's wich are real nice but Im not sure there the best I can do. Basicly I was getting ready to get the matching Canton center but Id rather not get it IF theres a different set of speakers that would be a improvement (Without costing $20,000) and then Id use the Cantons for a stereo set up. Also a sub is on deck Im perty set on the SVS PB12-ULTRA. Technicly this isnt the forum for this question but Id like to get a new DVD player as well (Though thats low on the list) any thoughts it seem that Denon is a popular chice for that, any major reason?

Anxiously awaiting thoughts and Ideas,
Sean

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis