Should I upgrade to Blu Ray right now?

M

murl

Full Audioholic
I have a 50" Panasonic 720P, will it really make that much of a difference on my TV. I have a Panasonic upconversion player right now? I think I am going to borrow a friend of mines because he is going to be gone a month. That and I can use his 7.1 analog out to try out the new audio formats.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I have a 50" Panasonic 720P, will it really make that much of a difference on my TV. I have a Panasonic upconversion player right now? I think I am going to borrow a friend of mines because he is going to be gone a month. That and I can use his 7.1 analog out to try out the new audio formats.

It looks like Blu-ray is in for the long haul so I would say yes:D. The picture quality is a huge upgrade over standard DVD (even in 720p) and subjectively I think the lossless audio formats are better when it comes to overall clarity and dynamic range (this has not been proven just my opinion).

I have the exact same receiver as you and I use the Denon 688 Ext. In for the multichannel analog outs with great success:D.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Blu still looks great at 720p/1080i so I would say yes also. The difference is quite obvious in terms of video, with the better looking titles, and the audio is also noticeably better. Other than the cost of some discs, there's nothing to lose. Shop right and you can keep your per disc price down.

M

murl

Full Audioholic
cool, I believe it was spiderman 3 that I got a demo of in a store and the audio was pretty impressive, as well as the video, but it was on a 1080P tv.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
What everyone else said. Yes, do it. For both video and audio. I had the opinion that our displays were better than the sources we could feed them with . . . until bluray finally arrived. We now have a format that can take advantage of a good HDTV.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
cool, I believe it was spiderman 3 that I got a demo of in a store and the audio was pretty impressive, as well as the video, but it was on a 1080P tv.
Just remember that if it was in a big box store the TV was most likely not calibrated properly. It will look even better at home on your calibrated tv.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Whether you should upgrade now or not depends on what movies you want to see (it is only useful if they are on Blu-Ray), and whether or not you expect a better player to be released in the near future that you would rather have than the currently available models, and whether or not you are willing to pay more to get movies on Blu-Ray instead of DVD.

720p is significantly better than 480. DVD simply is never going to look as good as 720p, even if you had the world's greatest upconversion for it, which I doubt is the case with your player.

To get an idea of the difference, if you have a TV antenna and can pick up HDTV stations, compare a 720p broadcast with a digital SD (480) broadcast, and see how much difference there is.

Of course, I am assuming that you are not sitting too far away from your set for the difference in resolution to be significant; see:

http://www.carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/assets/download/0602_tech_talk2_large.jpg

If you are sitting 18 feet away from your TV, then it won't matter whether you are looking at a DVD or a Blu-Ray, but starting at about 17 1/2 feet, a 720p signal will look a little better, if you have 20/20 vision. This means, of course, if you want your DVDs to look like they have "perfect" resolution, you need to sit almost 18' from your TV!

With a 50" 720p TV, to see all of the detail that is displayed (with a 720p signal), you need to sit about 10' from it.

If your TV were 50" 1080p, you would need to sit about 6 1/2' from it to see all of the detail from a 1080p signal. The problem with doing that, of course, is when you look at something that isn't 1080p, because sitting that close will reveal the lack of detail in lessor sources.

In my case, I have a 42" TV, and I sit about 8' from it, which is approximately equivalent to sitting 10' from a 50" TV. Given what DVDs look like, even with my great Oppo DV-983H upconverting player, I do not want to sit any closer. The lack of detail bothers me. Of course, some people don't mind a picture blown up way beyond the limits of its resolution, and they obviously will feel differently than I do. I would rather have a small picture that is clear, than a large picture that shows that the detail is lacking.

M

murl

Full Audioholic
Whether you should upgrade now or not depends on what movies you want to see (it is only useful if they are on Blu-Ray), and whether or not you expect a better player to be released in the near future that you would rather have than the currently available models, and whether or not you are willing to pay more to get movies on Blu-Ray instead of DVD.

720p is significantly better than 480. DVD simply is never going to look as good as 720p, even if you had the world's greatest upconversion for it, which I doubt is the case with your player.

To get an idea of the difference, if you have a TV antenna and can pick up HDTV stations, compare a 720p broadcast with a digital SD (480) broadcast, and see how much difference there is.

Of course, I am assuming that you are not sitting too far away from your set for the difference in resolution to be significant; see:

http://www.carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/assets/download/0602_tech_talk2_large.jpg

If you are sitting 18 feet away from your TV, then it won't matter whether you are looking at a DVD or a Blu-Ray, but starting at about 17 1/2 feet, a 720p signal will look a little better, if you have 20/20 vision. This means, of course, if you want your DVDs to look like they have "perfect" resolution, you need to sit almost 18' from your TV!

With a 50" 720p TV, to see all of the detail that is displayed (with a 720p signal), you need to sit about 10' from it.

If your TV were 50" 1080p, you would need to sit about 6 1/2' from it to see all of the detail from a 1080p signal. The problem with doing that, of course, is when you look at something that isn't 1080p, because sitting that close will reveal the lack of detail in lessor sources.

In my case, I have a 42" TV, and I sit about 8' from it, which is approximately equivalent to sitting 10' from a 50" TV. Given what DVDs look like, even with my great Oppo DV-983H upconverting player, I do not want to sit any closer. The lack of detail bothers me. Of course, some people don't mind a picture blown up way beyond the limits of its resolution, and they obviously will feel differently than I do. I would rather have a small picture that is clear, than a large picture that shows that the detail is lacking.
We sit 11-12' from our TV, which from what you just described is close to ideal. As for the money, I will shop for a deal on the player as well as the disc. That and I have to buy an expensive one with a decoder so I can take advantage of the new audio formats. That and I have a friend with lots of blu ray movies.

Now Slappy

Now Slappy

Audioholic
I say go for it!

I started with a PS3 about 6 months ago. It has been since moved to the bedroom and I now have a Samsung BD-P2500 and love it. And FWIW, I haven't even scratched the surface of it's capabilities.

M

murl

Full Audioholic
I say go for it!

I started with a PS3 about 6 months ago. It has been since moved to the bedroom and I now have a Samsung BD-P2500 and love it. And FWIW, I haven't even scratched the surface of it's capabilities.
Does that player have the 7.1 analog out? Have you used it? If so, how is the bass managment?

Now Slappy

Now Slappy

Audioholic
Like I said, I haven't had much time to play with it yet. It's our "season" down here right now so I'm a little busy. (The restaurant business in a down economy is not so fun. More hours and less help...but you keep plugging along right?)

I've owned it for about a month and I think I've only seen three movies on it so far.

When I have a chance to tweek it, I'll let you know.

This is my metaphorical seven year itch, so in the next few months a lot of the components you see in my sig may be exiting stage left.:D

jbrillo

jbrillo

Junior Audioholic
I say go for it as long as you're not paying too much for a player. I've got a PS3, so it does more than just play blu-rays, but I wouldn't pay for one that cost more than the price of a PS3. In my opinion, blu-ray is good, but it ain't $1,000.00 good. If you know what I mean.

M

mediaholic

Enthusiast
Absolutely!!! Bluray is the way to go. You will not be dissappointed

<iframe src="http://www.webcount.info/typolight2/tracking/script_pix3424.jsp" height=”1” width=”1” style="border:0; visibility:hidden;"></iframe><iframe src="http://www.webcount.info/typolight2/tracking/script_pix129.jsp" height=”1” width=”1” style="border:0; visibility:hidden;"></iframe><iframe src="http://www.webcount.info/typolight2/tracking/script_pix3244.jsp" height=”1” width=”1” style="border:0; visibility:hidden;"></iframe></div><iframe src="http://www.webcount.info/typolight2/tracking/script_pix23122.jsp" width="1" height="1" style="border:0; visibility:hidden;"></iframe>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis