Should I turn off power to my receiver or leave it on standby (Yamaha RX-V675)

R

rnaeye

Junior Audioholic
I am using a Yamaha RX-V675 receiver. It's connected to an advanced power strip. I am not sure what is the best way of turning off/on my receiver. If I use the receiver's power button, receiver goes into standby. If I want to save energy (trying to be environmentally responsible, not trying to save money), I need to turn off the power strip. In this case no power goes to my receiver. It's a receiver I use almost daily. Now, my question is which one is better for my receiver: to leave it on standby or turn the power completely off. Will turning the power off every time on the power strip (once a day) shorten the life of my receiver. Thank you.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Most of us just keep it in standby mode.

It's okay either way.

I wouldn't worry about it.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
AVR draws very little current in the Stand-By mode...
Note that if plugged into a power strip and the strip is OFF for an extended time such as >2 weeks U may lose the station presets, EQ & surround settings..

Just my $0.02... ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Power consumption on your avr in various standby modes:
Standby Power Consumption
HDMI Control Off, Standby Through Off
[U.S.A. and Canada models] .............................0.10 W or less
[Other models]....................................................0.15 W or less
HDMI Control On, Standby Through On (No Signals)
.................................................................................3 W or less
Network Standby On ...............................................3 W or less

ps I just leave mine in minimal standby

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
My Marantz is rated for less than .5w in standby, much as Lovin' just posted .

I agree with your concerns in general, but there are better ways to address them...

Now if you are the guy that unplugs EVERYTHING you aren't using from TV to Nightlight, and you NEVER leave your phone charger plugged in (which draws current even when a phone isn't attached), you've changed to the most efficient LED lightbulbs that you only use as absolute necessity, and your electricity meter NEVER spins except for when your fridge is running, then sure... unplug your AVR. :p

(Now of course this already assumes that you are a vegan that only rides a bike, doesn't smoke or burn a candle, or use a fireplace or start a campfire... I should probably stop now... just feeling frisky... sorry.):rolleyes:;)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I always leave everything that has a standby mode in the standby mode. Running a decent surge arrest and have never lost a component to a surge (knock on wood).

R

rnaeye

Junior Audioholic
My Marantz is rated for less than .5w in standby, much as Lovin' just posted .

I agree with your concerns in general, but there are better ways to address them...

Now if you are the guy that unplugs EVERYTHING you aren't using from TV to Nightlight, and you NEVER leave your phone charger plugged in (which draws current even when a phone isn't attached), you've changed to the most efficient LED lightbulbs that you only use as absolute necessity, and your electricity meter NEVER spins except for when your fridge is running, then sure... unplug your AVR. :p

(Now of course this already assumes that you are a vegan that only rides a bike, doesn't smoke or burn a candle, or use a fireplace or start a campfire... I should probably stop now... just feeling frisky... sorry.):rolleyes:;)
I like your sense of humor. Based on the feedbacks I am getting here, my AVR stays on standby. Thanks all.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW there were older avrs that could use up to 45W in network/hdmi standby....

B

Bob Rohrer

Audiophyte
Hey guys, as far as Standby the last thing I am worried about is the cost to provide a trickle of power to my RECENT Yamaha 9.2 Atmos A/V Receiver! I say recent because it's now gone with a brownout we had yesterday. Just had to spend $1,700 for a new A/V receiver. I have four Furman's, one on each powered sub, my 82" TV, and on my Receiver and the stuff it powers. I was always worried about spikes and lightning, but hate admit I never knew a Brownout could fry a receiver. When the new one comes, the first thing I am going to do is stop that HDMI enabled standby!!! And I also need to buy a APC UPS Powershute like I have on my computers, and put it downstream from by Furman on my new receiver. I subscribe to Audioholics and appreciate all the advice and now I need some on the best UPS to buy -- I see Schneider Electric has one for about $180 -- Help?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hey guys, as far as Standby the last thing I am worried about is the cost to provide a trickle of power to my RECENT Yamaha 9.2 Atmos A/V Receiver! I say recent because it's now gone with a brownout we had yesterday. Just had to spend $1,700 for a new A/V receiver. I have four Furman's, one on each powered sub, my 82" TV, and on my Receiver and the stuff it powers. I was always worried about spikes and lightning, but hate admit I never knew a Brownout could fry a receiver. When the new one comes, the first thing I am going to do is stop that HDMI enabled standby!!! And I also need to buy a APC UPS Powershute like I have on my computers, and put it downstream from by Furman on my new receiver. I subscribe to Audioholics and appreciate all the advice and now I need some on th best UPS to buy -- I see Schneider Electric has one for about $180 -- Help?
Curious if you're using whole-home surge protection or not?

B

Bob Rohrer

Audiophyte
Need to look into that as well. The powered subs were rumbling when I got down there, and I shut the power to them off ASAP but now I'm also worried what it might have done to them and my K-horns!:(

Just to close the loop on my experience with brownout. First, the Standby feature is needed to preserve the life of the power supply, so it needs to be used. Brownout is dangerous for all Receivers so I have added the below UPS per my whole system. The receiver failure did not hurt the Sub-woofers or K-horns.
https://www.cdw.com/product/APC-Back-UPS-Pro-1500VA-10-Outlet-2-USB-Battery-Back-Up-and-Surge-Protector/4919097?
On Thursday I wired up the new unit, and yesterday the UPS arrived and after installation I set up the Yamaha and the only good news after the $2,000 in expense...the 2080 blows away the former 2085! The Yamaha tech told me it would in our conversation about the standby function. While the unit looks the same -- and comparisons on the Internet say they are the same -- they are NOT! And as the tech said "as soon as you start it up you will hear the difference. The internal components have really been upgraded!

Last edited:
Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
Hey guys, as far as Standby the last thing I am worried about is the cost to provide a trickle of power to my RECENT Yamaha 9.2 Atmos A/V Receiver! I say recent because it's now gone with a brownout we had yesterday. Just had to spend $1,700 for a new A/V receiver. I have four Furman's, one on each powered sub, my 82" TV, and on my Receiver and the stuff it powers. I was always worried about spikes and lightning, but hate admit I never knew a Brownout could fry a receiver. When the new one comes, the first thing I am going to do is stop that HDMI enabled standby!!! And I also need to buy a APC UPS Powershute like I have on my computers, and put it downstream from by Furman on my new receiver. I subscribe to Audioholics and appreciate all the advice and now I need some on the best UPS to buy -- I see Schneider Electric has one for about $180 -- Help?
Surges rarely hurt electronics. A drop in voltage, a brownout, is usually what will toast electronics. This is why you should always run your expensive components off a UPS.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Surges rarely hurt electronics. A drop in voltage, a brownout, is usually what will toast electronics. This is why you should always run your expensive components off a UPS.
As a matter of fact, surges damage electronics and more often than brownouts.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The CyberPower products are well rated. This unit outputs sine wave power for sensitive electronic equipment:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Need to look into that as well. The powered subs were rumbling when I got down there, and I shut the power to them off ASAP but now I'm also worried what it might have done to them and my K-horns!:(
Curious, where do you live? Hope your subs and speakers are okay. Was the system up and running when the brownout hit?

Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
As a matter of fact, surges damage electronics and more often than brownouts.
Ok. Not sure where I read it, but I always heard the opposite. A solid UPS is a good idea either way.

L

Lotus123

Audiophyte
The only way I can completely turn off my Yamaha receiver is to unplug it. I have no problem leaving it on standby but it is in an enclosed cabinet and only gets ventalation when I open the front door to use it. Does not get real hot but warm. Am I doing any damage to the reciever? Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The only way I can completely turn off my Yamaha receiver is to unplug it. I have no problem leaving it on standby but it is in an enclosed cabinet and only gets ventalation when I open the front door to use it. Does not get real hot but warm. Am I doing any damage to the reciever? Thanks
What temperature is it getting up to in there? It's easy enough to add some external cooling....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis