Should I turn off power to my receiver or leave it on standby (Yamaha RX-V675)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The only way I can completely turn off my Yamaha receiver is to unplug it. I have no problem leaving it on standby but it is in an enclosed cabinet and only gets ventalation when I open the front door to use it. Does not get real hot but warm. Am I doing any damage to the reciever? Thanks
Would it be possible for you to install a small cooling fan on the back of the cabinet to keep it cooler, such as one of these:

L

Lotus123

Audiophyte
What temperature is it getting up to in there? It's easy enough to add some external cooling....
I checked the temp and it is only 80 degrees so I guess I don't have a problem. Thanks for the idea that I should have thought of myself. Terry

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I checked the temp and it is only 80 degrees so I guess I don't have a problem. Thanks for the idea that I should have thought of myself. Terry
Is that the heat generally in the whole cabinet or are you measuring the case of the avr? Will this change during summer?

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Most modern components use very little power in the stand-by mode. A 'Kill-a-Watt' power meter can give you a few hours of fun measuring things. Note that some TV Set-Top-Boxes may not show much difference.
No reason to power-down completely unless it will go unused for several days.

L

Lotus123

Audiophyte
Is that the heat generally in the whole cabinet or are you measuring the case of the avr? Will this change during summer?
I measured it on the avr and on the cabinet shelf and it was the same. Since we use A/C, I don't think it will be any higher in the summer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis