Should I return Onkyo units I haven't received yet?

C

ChrisL9472

Audioholic Intern
Hello,

I recently purchased an Onkyo TX-8050 2 channel network receiver, CD player, etc. I haven't got the receiver yet, but all this negative talk about Onkyo on this forum is making me a little nervous.

However, when doing some checking I've found that almost all the complaints seem to revolve around a certain few A/V models with HDMI inputs. Being a 2 channel unit, mine doesn't have any HDMI's, and I've heard mostly positive reviews on it so far.

I bought this unit, plus the optional HD radio tuner and wireless LAN adapter new for $399 from Amazon.com, $100 less then the similarly built 2 channel receivers from Marantz and Yamaha that don't have half the desirable features as this one. For that price, I was willing to take a chance, also considering that Onkyo is one of the few makes that I've never owned I thought it might be interesting.

Still, I've been reading around here on these Onkyo threads and I believe some of you know what you are talking about, and I don't like what I hear. Do you think I should return these units before I get myself in deeper Onkyo water and go with something else?

P.S. The C-7030 CD player has arrived and it seems to be a really nice piece of work for $199.99, except for not being able to turn off the display completely (annoying).

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I have an Onkyo and no problems, yet. Just baby it and you should be fine. Get a warranty no Receiver is 100% proof.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
No, don't return it. You're probably very safe. Let me explain. Most of the problems seem to be with Onkyo's home theater receivers, not their two channel ones. HDMI and other things associated with home theater are known trouble spots for home theater in general. Your TX-8050 is only two channel. Therefore, you are very likely out of the "trouble loop". By the way, that is one great receiver for the digital streaming fan. I almost considered one for myself.

C

ChrisL9472

Audioholic Intern
No, don't return it. You're probably very safe. Let me explain. Most of the problems seem to be with Onkyo's home theater receivers, not their two channel ones. HDMI and other things associated with home theater are known trouble spots for home theater in general. Your TX-8050 is only two channel. Therefore, you are very likely out of the "trouble loop". By the way, that is one great receiver for the digital streaming fan. I almost considered one for myself.
Thanks, I was hoping that would be the case. I'm moving into uncharted waters with the digital streaming thing. Never done it before. I'm also really looking forward to that HD tuner!

I have a question, can I get anything streamed through the receiver or only those radio stations (Pandora, Spotify, etc.) Onkyo is in cahoots with?

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
It's easy to get swayed by the negative information you hear. Especially in regards to Onkyo. They do seem to get alot of it. But as mentioned above it is primarily from the HT receivers with HDMI. However most if not all of these issues have been resolved on the new models.

The other thing to keep in mind is the complaints you read about online are not even a drop in the bucket when you factor in the thousands of other owners that have had zero issues. Onkyo is also the largest maker of HT receivers by a fairly large margin, so there is a good chance you will hear more complaints.

Last but not least, I think it would be safe to say that many people do not ventilate their receivers well enough causing them to overheat and fail prematurely. All one has to do is goto the gallery forum at any HT forum and you will see how many have not allowed enough room for the receiver breathe. This is even with Onkyo putting stickers on their receivers letting people know they run on the warm side and to make sure their is proper ventilation. This heat is primarily due to the HDMI board, video processing, and the amps bias being set on the high side. All this leads to tremendous amounts of heat in a small receiver and cause for failure if not properly placed.

I also own the TX-8050 and its a great unit. I have had zero issues.

C

ChrisL9472

Audioholic Intern
It's easy to get swayed by the negative information you hear. Especially in regards to Onkyo. They do seem to get alot of it. But as mentioned above it is primarily from the HT receivers with HDMI. However most if not all of these issues have been resolved on the new models.

The other thing to keep in mind is the complaints you read about online are not even a drop in the bucket when you factor in the thousands of other owners that have had zero issues. Onkyo is also the largest maker of HT receivers by a fairly large margin, so there is a good chance you will hear more complaints.

Last but not least, I think it would be safe to say that many people do not ventilate their receivers well enough causing them to overheat and fail prematurely. All one has to do is goto the gallery forum at any HT forum and you will see how many have not allowed enough room for the receiver breathe. This is even with Onkyo putting stickers on their receivers letting people know they run on the warm side and to make sure their is proper ventilation. This heat is primarily due to the HDMI board, video processing, and the amps bias being set on the high side. All this leads to tremendous amounts of heat in a small receiver and cause for failure if not properly placed.

I also own the TX-8050 and its a great unit. I have had zero issues.
I've always kept my components in open air racks. I've done this since a big Carver amp I used to own almost over heated behind a stuffy glass door. I also like the look, the convenience, and the protection from over heating. This shouldn't be an issue for me.

I'm surprised to hear that Onkyo is the largest maker of HT receivers, considering I've never known anyone who has owned one and the brand doesn't seem to be marketed or carried much in the shops I've been into or online.

It's all going to be a new and (I hope) interesting thing for me.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
I may not be 100% correct on Onkyo being the largest. (Bad wording.) I should have said one of the largest. :)

Sounds like your good to go. Enjoy the new gear and keep us posted.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
Thanks, I was hoping that would be the case. I'm moving into uncharted waters with the digital streaming thing. Never done it before. I'm also really looking forward to that HD tuner!

I have a question, can I get anything streamed through the receiver or only those radio stations (Pandora, Spotify, etc.) Onkyo is in cahoots with?
The way that I think I understand it, you can stream from your computers in the house also. If you can, find an instruction manual online and look at it to see what it says.

Last edited:
djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Got Onkyo on the HT rig with no probs whatsoever.

DJ

C

ChrisL9472

Audioholic Intern
Got Onkyo on the HT rig with no probs whatsoever.

DJ
I just got the receiver and HD tuner/wireless LAN yesterday. So far I have to say I'm very impressed with the features. I've set up networking which is working great. The tuner in particular is excellent, much better then the one in my other receiver.

The only issues may be with sound. I haven't had a chance to experiment much with adjustments or let it really rip, but I from what I've heard so far it doesn't seem to be as good as sounding as my other receiver, but not terrible any any means. I can always add a better amp later on and use this as an excellent pre-amp.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I just got the receiver and HD tuner/wireless LAN yesterday. So far I have to say I'm very impressed with the features. I've set up networking which is working great. The tuner in particular is excellent, much better then the one in my other receiver.

The only issues may be with sound. I haven't had a chance to experiment much with adjustments or let it really rip, but I from what I've heard so far it doesn't seem to be as good as sounding as my other receiver, but not terrible any any means. I can always add a better amp later on and use this as an excellent pre-amp.
Ya, we actually chose this one specifically because it can push 4ohm. We have Polk Lsi's in the HT rig and they're notoriously difficult to run because of low impedance issues.

Moutee

Moutee

Junior Audioholic
I'm only one consumer, but I have owned an Onkyo RC260 and TX-SR805 for years without any problems. The 805 is my favorite, and I have no intentions of replacing it; it never fails to impress me.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic

Be careful here. That may not be the receiver, but the source itself that is generating the "less than marvelous" sound. For example, sometimes when I have my laptop hooked up to my system the sound isn't so great. But, it's not the laptop or the receiver at fault. It's the source of the internet broadcast that is at fault.

C

ChrisL9472

Audioholic Intern
Be careful here. That may not be the receiver, but the source itself that is generating the "less than marvelous" sound. For example, sometimes when I have my laptop hooked up to my system the sound isn't so great. But, it's not the laptop or the receiver at fault. It's the source of the internet broadcast that is at fault.
It wasn't an internet source, but I CD I was already familiar with. After listening to it further today, it seems to be better. The new CD player I have has different DAC then I'm used to and I was a bit tired when I first heard it.

Once I get a chance to play it some more and play it loud I will know for sure. But so far I'm very impressed with the features and excellent HD tuner.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
It wasn't an internet source, but I CD I was already familiar with. After listening to it further today, it seems to be better. The new CD player I have has different DAC then I'm used to and I was a bit tired when I first heard it.

Once I get a chance to play it some more and play it loud I will know for sure. But so far I'm very impressed with the features and excellent HD tuner.
It could b the components of the receiver breaking in.

DJ

R

rlcndgo

Audiophyte
Onkyo

I have been dealing with an Onkyo HT receiver for a year and half and you could't give me anything with their name on it again. Customer sevice ranges between non existent and sucks. They will not honor their warranties.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
I know.

I have been dealing with an Onkyo HT receiver for a year and half and you could't give me anything with their name on it again. Customer sevice ranges between non existent and sucks. They will not honor their warranties.
I am in your camp with their home theater receivers. My current one _ a TX SR503 _ has bad surround sound channel switching. It has now been relegated to my basement 2 channel system. It seems to be working O.K. there ..... so far. That said, Onkyo's 2 channel receivers don't seem to be suffering the same fate. They seem to be trouble free so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Is this a problem that arises after a period of time, or are they problematic from the inception? Checking the reviews on Amazon, everyone seems to be pretty happy with Onkyo.

DJ

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis