Should I go for an early 2000's AVR or a more recent model for a 3.1 setup

D

Daniel_Elmaleh

Audioholic Intern
Hi everyone,

After being convinced that an AVR should sound as good as a stereo amp by the kind fellows here, decided it might be a good idea upgrading my 2 ch setup to a 3.1.

This is my current setup:

Turntable: technics SL-Q3
Receiver: Rotel rx-850
Speakers: Tannoy Saturn S6
lg 55" smart TV
gonna add to this a decent center and a subwoofer.

Technically all I need is to connect my TV to an AVR via optical connection to get a Dolby digital from Netflix. I don't have any other sources producing dolby.

Getting an older model AVR (without HDMI connection etc) will allow me to get high end model (from 15-20 years ago) at a lower price.
Music listening has a higher priority than movies to me.

Any thoughts?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
15-20 years old is risky, they werent made to last forever so might be good to get something newer then that. Unless you get it really really dirt cheap then its not as big a risk.
Compared to your old rotel a good avr should sound as good and they give a lot of qualiy for the money, especially those with a few years on them.
3.1 is very nice so should give a new dimension to your tv watching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
You don't have to go back 20 years, that's too far, unless you recap it, but any Yamaha 10 or so years old would be good to go IMHO. My recently retired 2006 vintage Yamaha RX-V659 would work very well if I wanted to do like you are posting about doing. Unlike it's first replacement, a Yamaha TSR-7810, it makes more power than it's rated at, and if you just run the LCR speakers, it pumps out some decent power without cooking itself. I would say any mid level AVR would work fine for you.

D

Daniel_Elmaleh

Audioholic Intern
Hi guys, really appreciate the help!
Say I would buy an AVR without a phono input for the the turntable, how bad will it be to use a basic pre-amp for the turntable?

Already saw a few AVRs on second hand. I'd be happy if you'll take a glance.

These are all around 200-250 usd (before Bargaining, converted the currency to usd roughly):
Yamaha rxv1500
onkyo ds-777 (old but looks solid)
Pioneer ax5ai (from what I read was quite expansive at the time)
onkyo tx nr-609 (806 model also available for some 150 more)
acram avr-200 (big name there..but no phono input)
Yamaha rxv2092 (super old, but only a 100$, still risky as you say)

There are also more expensive AVRs like the pioneer lx-72 available.
Now I don't mind paying extra money for a quality product, I just don't see the need in my case.

Thanks again

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis