Should I bi-amp my B&W 685's?

• Thread starter ericsdeadletteroffice
  • Start date
E

ericsdeadletteroffice

Audioholic Intern
My receiver is Marantz SR6011. From what I understand it's 120w per channel at 8ohms and my speakers are rated for 100 watts.

Would bi-amping be too much power to my speakers?

If not, what would I benefit from running the additional cable? Am I missing audio heaven? I honestly know nothing about this but a few people have suggested it.

I also have a B&W ASW608 sub that I actually removed from the system as I wasn't really using it much. Probably 75% of my music listening is vinyl and it would cause a low rumbling when the turntable was playing so I would always shut it off and forget to turn it back on when I would play a CD. The remaining 25% is probably split between streaming off my iPlay/iTunes and CD's.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't bother with passive bi-amping, not with an avr at least. Bi-amping with an avr doesn't double the power if that's what you're thinking. Try this article https://www.audioholics.com/frequent-questions/the-difference-between-biamping-vs-biwiring.

Often a rumble filter was included with older receivers, neither of my avrs with phono sections have one, tho I do have an external phono pre-amp with one. You might also check to see how well your tt is isolated from vibration to begin with (or move your sub further away or something). When playing records you could also just use the direct mode to avoid the use of the sub.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My receiver is Marantz SR6011. From what I understand it's 120w per channel at 8ohms and my speakers are rated for 100 watts.

If not, what would I benefit from running the additional cable? Am I missing audio heaven? I honestly know nothing about this but a few people have suggested it.

I also have a B&W ASW608 sub that I actually removed from the system as I wasn't really using it much. Probably 75% of my music listening is vinyl and it would cause a low rumbling when the turntable was playing so I would always shut it off and forget to turn it back on when I would play a CD. The remaining 25% is probably split between streaming off my iPlay/iTunes and CD's.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
No! A total waste of time effort and money.

E

ericsdeadletteroffice

Audioholic Intern
I wouldn't bother with passive bi-amping, not with an avr at least. Bi-amping with an avr doesn't double the power if that's what you're thinking. Try this article https://www.audioholics.com/frequent-questions/the-difference-between-biamping-vs-biwiring.

Often a rumble filter was included with older receivers, neither of my avrs with phono sections have one, tho I do have an external phono pre-amp with one. You might also check to see how well your tt is isolated from vibration to begin with (or move your sub further away or something). When playing records you could also just use the direct mode to avoid the use of the sub.
Thank you. This was very informative.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord

No. But that's not an endorsement for what you propose. I'm really saying, don't bother because it won't make your speakers sound better.
If not, what would I benefit from running the additional cable?
There is no benefit.
Am I missing audio heaven?
Because there can be so many different opinions as to what constitutes audio heaven, this becomes a difficult question to answer. You can be certain that extra cables between your receiver and your speakers will not get you there.
I honestly know nothing about this but a few people have suggested it.
You should smile politely and ignore their advice.
That low rumble you describe is acoustic feedback. The bass sound coming from the sub woofer gets picked up by the turntable's tonearm and pick up cartridge. It can be transmitted through the air or through furniture or shelves. Try moving your sub woofer away from your turntable. Try better cushioning under the turntable. Is your sub woofer separately powered? Try reducing its volume low enough so the rumble disappears. As you've learned, there's a good reason why sub woofer use didn't become widespread until after the demise of vinyl records and turntables.

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I've seen too many instances of people's Facebook feeds giving them the Crutchfield link to their article about the benefits of bi-wiring with an AVR. Pretty sad actually, to see them spreading the BS and only a couple of people commenting as such. Always someone who follows the Crutchfield advice and unnecessarily buys more speaker cable.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wow. So first Crutchfield wants people to stuff their AVR into the cabinet with no ventilation.

Then tell people to Bi-wire? :D

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Yup, they are filling the Facebook feeds with BS and bad practices that have been debunked here for years. Despite this, the unknowing minions comment endlessly, effusing praise for Crutchfield's whole pitch.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can you explain this? Thanks
It's something I don't use, altho I have two Denons that allow this. I need to set my subs to "LFE+Main" (which I normally don't, I normally use the "LFE" mode), then they can be active in Direct/Pure Direct mode.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis