Should I be concerned about too much power?

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
Recently completed my 9.2.6 setup and added a Emotiva 3 channel amp putting out 450w x 3.
I don’t need anywhere near that much power right now, but I am planning to upgrade my front 3 to something much nicer in a year or two.
I noticed pretty quickly that my center channel was lacking clarity. Putting my ear to the tweeter, it sounds distorted, crackly and hissing. I’m pretty sure it’s shot. It’s a 20 year old Infinity, and while I’m sad to see it go, I don’t want to drop serious coin on a new one yet as I just added a processor, two amps, two more ceiling speakers etc.

I ordered a “cheaper” klipsch to throw in there for now, but I’m concerned I’ll insta fry this one.
I’ve always been under the impression that gobs of clean power is fine as long as you’re not driving speakers to distortion. Thoughts are appreciated.

Here’s the amp and klipsch center.

Klipsch RP-504C Center Channel Speaker (Walnut) https://a.co/d/88Z4cMt

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Recently completed my 9.2.6 setup and added a Emotiva 3 channel amp putting out 450w x 3.
I don’t need anywhere near that much power right now, but I am planning to upgrade my front 3 to something much nicer in a year or two.
I noticed pretty quickly that my center channel was lacking clarity. Putting my ear to the tweeter, it sounds distorted, crackly and hissing. I’m pretty sure it’s shot. It’s a 20 year old Infinity, and while I’m sad to see it go, I don’t want to drop serious coin on a new one yet as I just added a processor, two amps, two more ceiling speakers etc.

I ordered a “cheaper” klipsch to throw in there for now, but I’m concerned I’ll insta fry this one.
I’ve always been under the impression that gobs of clean power is fine as long as you’re not driving speakers to distortion. Thoughts are appreciated.

If you blow a tweeter you might well get distortion, but you won't get hissing.

Since it is an Emotiva, there is every possibility, and actually more likely the amp has bitten the dust. You need to test that channel on a different speaker, and test that infinity on a different amp.
My bet is the Emo amp that is the problem and not the speaker unless you played it very loud.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The problem is, on the internet there are numerous "experts", many don't really know enough to avoid giving false or partly true information. So, you have to pick the right ones to listen to, and that's always a challenge. "Gobs of clean power" can fry speakers, just like not enough power could also fry speakers, though in those cases, it would most likely fry the tweeters first, and may cause the amp to shut itself down eventually. It all depends on the conditions of use!

That Klipsch center speaker's power handling spec is:

150 W, 600 W peak

You would have to crank things up really loud to damage such a speaker. Any idea under what condition was it used prior to you noticing something was wrong, such as how loud, what preamp, volume, seating distance, contents listening to etc.? The more information you provide, the better chance we can suggest what precautionary measure you can take to avoid damaging another speaker.

Last edited:
F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Should I be concerned about too much power?
Not if you don't use it. Keep the volume under control. Most people don't use more than 20 or 30 watts per channel even on peaks for music. More, of course, for movie sound track peaks. You should never get anywhere near 450 watts unless you want to damage your speakers and your hearing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Depends on how you use it....but generally I wouldn't worry about it (and do have amps of that power range in use).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

How loud was it? 115dB?

If the speaker was fine before and the volume was only 90dB, then it could also be a bad amp. If the Klipsch blows a tweeter, then it’s probably a bad quality amp.

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
Put the Klipsch in yesterday. Sounds totally clean, and the way I’d expect. The Infinity was toast.
Ran Dirac, and happy with the results.

All is well with the world again.

highfigh

highfigh

What are you using to control the system? If you're concerned about sending too much power to the speakers as a way to prevent future damage, I would recommend caring more about your hearing.

If you're using an AVR, maybe the setup menu has a way to limit the output. I don't set up any AV system without limiting the output- it's too easy to accidentally go WOT and when that happens, there's no guarantee that someone can reduce the output quickly enough to prevent speaker damage. It also ensures that the system will have some headroom, which is important.

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
What are you using to control the system? If you're concerned about sending too much power to the speakers as a way to prevent future damage, I would recommend caring more about your hearing.

If you're using an AVR, maybe the setup menu has a way to limit the output. I don't set up any AV system without limiting the output- it's too easy to accidentally go WOT and when that happens, there's no guarantee that someone can reduce the output quickly enough to prevent speaker damage. It also ensures that the system will have some headroom, which is important.
Using an XMC-2 and not pushing it that hard

highfigh

highfigh

Using an XMC-2 and not pushing it that hard
Where is the volume control indicator when you use it at the highest output level? "...not pushing it that hard" doesn't say anything. Also, what was the power handling capacity of the speaker you replaced?

You may be able to find a replacement tweeter for that one if you might want to sell it or use it as an option.

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
Where is the volume control indicator when you use it at the highest output level? "...not pushing it that hard" doesn't say anything. Also, what was the power handling capacity of the speaker you replaced?

You may be able to find a replacement tweeter for that one if you might want to sell it or use it as an option.
I can provide info on the ouput level next time I'm home. I simply mean that I'm not playing anything at extreme volume levels.

I'm planning to look into having the Infinity repaired. It's been a great work horse for a couple decades.

highfigh

highfigh

I can provide info on the ouput level next time I'm home. I simply mean that I'm not playing anything at extreme volume levels.

I'm planning to look into having the Infinity repaired. It's been a great work horse for a couple decades.
Your description still doesn't tell anything because it's relative- "not much" is 'Holy Crap! Turn it down!" to someone else.

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
Your description still doesn't tell anything because it's relative- "not much" is 'Holy Crap! Turn it down!" to someone else.
Well, I’m a whole lot less concerned with it now as the new speaker is in, system is calibrated and sounding great and I’m not having any issues. I've had my question answered and I'm good-to-go.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis